Archive

Tag Archives: Terrorism

A right-wing extremist has been jailed for five years following an investigation by the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command.

Sean Creighton, 45, of Enfield, was accused of a terrorism offence as well as writing homophobic and racist posts for social media with the intention of stirring up hatred.

Creighton, a right-wing extremist, pleaded guilty to seven public order offences and one terrorism offence at Kingston Crown Court on Friday, 6 January.

creighton-2

He was sentenced on Thursday, 23 February to four years’ imprisonment for the public order offences and five years’ imprisonment for the terrorism offence, to run concurrently.

The investigation was launched into Creighton’s activities when officers from the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command became aware of a picture on social media of a man, they later identified as Creighton, holding an assault rifle standing in front of a Nazi flag.

On 29 June 2016 a Section 46 Firearms Act warrant was executed at his address in north London.

He was arrested under Section 19 Public Order Act 1986 – distributing written material intending to stir up racial hatred in relation to material on his social media account. When officers further investigated his activity they discovered he was using various methods to spread hate, including offensive stickers on street furniture and what can only be described as prolific activity on social media. They also discovered he had possession of a manual of a kind likely to be useful to a person committing or preparing an act of terrorism.

On 31 August 2016 he was charged with a terrorism offence and public order offences and appeared at Westminster Magistrates’ Court the following morning where he was remanded in custody to await trial.

Commander Dean Haydon, of the Counter Terrorism Command, said: “We are as committed to apprehending and prosecuting far right extremists who commit terrorist offences and promote hatred as we are those who support and promote ISIS. Both are intent on destroying communities and pose a real risk if they are allowed to continue.”

Sino

Christopher Philips / Darren Clift

Christopher Philips / Darren Clifft

Christopher Philips, from Wolverhampton, who used a series of pseudonyms and even impersonated mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik had pleaded guilty to posting three videos online, which were filmed at a music concert and intended to stir up racial hatred.

The court was previously told the event had been organised by an extreme right wing group in West Wales in March.

Philips – who was formerly known as Darren Clifft – was arrested later that month following an investigation by the West Midlands Counter Terrorism Unit.

The 23-year-old also faced a second charge of using words or behaviour intending to incite racial hatred, but it was left to lie on file after he pleaded not guilty.

During his sentencing today at Wolverhampton Crown Court it was revealed Philips had a Ku Klux Klan outfit in his room.

Judge John Warner told him: “Publication of this material which has particularly historical connotations would have been deeply offensive to many people.”

Det Insp Darren Powney, senior investigating officer for the CTU, said: “We understand how offensive and distressing this type of material can be and we worked with the Crown Prosecution Service to bring Philips before the courts at the earliest opportunity.

Express & Star

EDL News

cliff manc demo

clifft manc demo 1

TWO friends obsessed with Norwegian mass murderer Anders Breivik plotted a far-right hate campaign in Torbay, a court was told today.

John Roddy, 20, and Tobias Ruth, 18, daubed racist graffiti on a mosque and spray painted Brixham police station

bomb

The pair styled themselves as Knights Templar in homage to Breivik and sent letters to Islamic centres telling worshippers to leave the country.

At Exeter Crown Court today Ruth, from Brixham, was sent to a Young Offenders Institution for two years and nine months

He had previously admitted conspiracy to cause criminal damage and to send malicious communications.

Roddy, from Torquay, walked away from court with a suspended jail sentence. He admitted the conspiracy charges and possessing a terror manual on his computer.

Their arrests came in January after an area of Lymington Road in Torquay was sealed off by armed police who feared they may be dealing with a terrorist cell.

Exeter Crown Court was told that police had been hunting whoever was responsible for a series of graffiti attacks on various buildings in Torquay and Brixham dating back to July the previous year.

Red spray paint and the initials KT had been daubed on buildings and 72 incidents of criminal damage were later attributed to the pair.

Among the buildings targeted were Brixham police station; a council-owned building in St Mary’s Park; the Union Street car park in Torquay and a children’s play area in Plainmoor.

Racist slogans were sprayed on the Torquay Islamic Centre.

Police arrested Roddy after a large billboard had been daubed by the words ‘Knights Templar’

Police analysed Facebook traffic between Roddy and Ruth and discovered the pair had been in conversation about places to target.

Roddy’s laptop was found to contain an “al-Qaeda training manual” and Breivik’s ‘2083 A European Declaration of Independence’.

Jeremy Atkinson prosecuting, said: “Both developed an obsession with the personality and ideology of Anders Breivik, the convicted Norwegian terrorist and mass murderer.

“The defendants had attempted to act out to some extent their own form of activity under the banner of Knights Templar, an organisation discussed at some length by Anders Breivik and aspired to be part of that organisation or their own version of it.”

He said in July the pair had taken part in an ‘initiation right’ with each of them branding the other on the upper arm with a hot metal cross to signify their allegiance to the Knights Templar.

Letters sent to the Islamic Centre in Torquay included the words ‘Leave this town today or there will be hell to pay.’

Identical letters, shown to have been addressed by Roddy and using cut out letters from newspapers, were also sent to mosques in Brighton and Plymouth.

Lee Brembridge mitigating for Roddy, now of Old Mill Road,said there was no evidence any of the material found in his possession would be used for terrorist purposes and the material had not been distributed.

He said Roddy was shy and had been assessed by a mental health team. He also had Asperger’s and autism.

Roddy, he said, had come under the influence of Ruth after the pair met on a bricklayer’s course at South Devon College, at which point his family had started to notice a behavioural change.

Kevin Hopper, mitigating for Ruth, said his client was a ‘social inadequate’ who was easily influenced by others. He said Ruth had been 17 at the time and compensation claimed for the graffiti only amounted to £500.

But Judge Francis Gilbert QC said the real cost was far higher and ran into thousands of pounds.

“At least one of the acts of criminal damage was motivated by racial hatred,” he added.

“The racial element of the offences is obvious.”

Roddy was given 23 months in a Young Offenders Institution, suspended for two years and 18 months supervision.

Torquay Herald Express

Terence Gavan pleaded guilty to 22 charges

Terence Gavan pleaded guilty to 22 charges


A man who admitted making nail bombs at his West Yorkshire home has been jailed for 11 years.

Terence Gavan, 38, who the Old Bailey heard showed a strong hostility towards immigrants, was arrested by police in a raid at his home in May 2009.

The bus driver’s arsenal of weapons and explosives included home-made shotguns, pen guns and pistols.

Gavan, from Batley, also pleaded guilty to six counts of having or collecting documents useful in terrorism.

Sentencing Gavan, Mr Justice Calvert-Smith said his case was “unique” because of his long and persistent manufacture of guns and explosives.

Gavan, who the court heard was a former member of the BNP, pleaded guilty to 22 charges at Woolwich Crown Court in November.

Police discovered 12 firearms and 54 improvised explosive devices, which included nail bombs and a booby-trapped cigarette packet, at the home Gavan shared with his mother.

He told detectives he had “a fascination with things that go bang”, the Old Bailey heard.

After the case, head of the North East Counter Terrorism Unit Det Ch Supt David Buxton said Gavan posed a significant risk to public safety.

“Gavan was an extremely dangerous and unpredictable individual,” he said.

“The sheer volume of home-made firearms and grenades found in his bedroom exposed his obsession with weapons and explosives.

“However, he was not simply a harmless enthusiast.

“Gavan used his extensive knowledge to manufacture and accumulate devices capable of causing significant injury or harm.”

A BNP spokesman would not comment on whether Gavan had been a member of the party.

But he told BBC News that Gavan’s offences were “serious” and the sentence given to him was “correct”.

BBC News

A TEENAGER from the Tamworth area with an “unhealthy interest” in explosives and fascist politics has appeared in court alongside a man from Amington, to face charges relating to making potentially-lethal weapons.

The court heard that police found a pipe packed with nails and screws and charged with gunpowder, in the bedroom of the 16-year-old.

He had made the explosive device with chemicals bought off the Internet.

The youngster also had right wing literature from the BNP and the English Defence League, together with Nazi emblems – one of them in the middle of his bed.

His family home was immediately evacuated while explosives and firearms experts were called in to search the property.

As the search entered its third day, another explosive device was reported hidden under a waste oil tank at Tomson’s Garage in Glascote Road.

Mr Malcolm Morse, prosecuting, said the device had the appearance of a home-made sawn-off shotgun.

In one of the “barrels” was a firework with the fuse extending out of it.

The device was taken to Sutton Coldfield police station, which later had to be evacuated while experts assessed how dangerous it was.

Some tape holding the barrels together had human hair and fingerprints which belonged to a co-accused, 27-year-old Jonathan Cunningham, of Greenheart, Amington, who was also arrested.

Cunningham said he had put the device under the oil tank to hide it from the police.

He also tried to take the blame for making it, saying he wanted to show the boy how to do it, but Mr Morse told Stafford Crown Court the prosecution did not accept that.

“[The boy] was perfectly capable of making devices of this kind with no assistance.”

In court, Mr Morse said the teen had been asked specifically about the right-wing political literature by concerned officers.

“He denied any specific interest in right-wing politics, and he expressed a general interest in the acquisition of pyrotechnic knowledge.

“He denied supporting the views of either the BNP or the English Defence League, that was his explanation.

“It is to an extent contradicted by some evidence from a lecturer at the college where he studies.

“Her recollection is he was outspoken among his peers in support of such views.

“It is the case that while material of this nature was found, material of a contrary view was not.

“The prosecution, in drawing attention to this literature, is making no comment on its content.

“I am merely indicating the presence of it, together with the ingredients and the skill for making explosives,” Mr Morse told Judge John Wait.

He said the mother of one of the boy’s friends had also handed in a video clip from a mobile phone camera showing an explosive device being detonated in a tree.

The clip was labelled with the teenage defendant’s name and the word “bomb”.

A police search of the 16-year-old’s family home on January 30 this year, was triggered by an eBay seller who was concerned about commodities being ordered.

The boy used his mother’s eBay account to buy the chemicals he used to make the gunpowder.

The device loaded with nails and found in the bedroom was examined by the Defence Laboratory and ruled to be capable of dealing a “lethal shot”.

Mr Morse said Internet conversations from a chat room dedicated to explosives and firearms had been found on a computer in the house.

The boy’s username was “Eng-Terrorman”.

He also had access to a Russian film which shows the process of making a gun.

The boy, who cannot be named because of his age, admitted possessing a firearm without a certificate – the only charge that could be applied to the device found in his bedroom, according to Mr Morse.

The boy also admits having an explosive substance and making an explosive substance.

Judge Wait made the boy subject to a three-year controlling order for public safety, with a three-month curfew, a ban on having any explosive material and the recording of any Internet use.

He told the boy: “Anyone who makes such explosives, that in the wrong hands could be used to kill or maim, is committing a very serious offence and putting the public at risk.”

The judge said the boy could have put everyone in danger by being used and abused by extreme political organisations.

He added: “That a 14 to 15-year-old boy should be permitted to carry on such activities under the gaze of caring parents is hard to believe.

“The parents saw substantial quantities of material coming in to the house and saw no danger.

“They saw material relating to extreme politics and saw no danger in that.”

Co-accused Cunningham, who admitted making an explosive substance and perverting the course of justice, was jailed for 12 months.

Mr Darron Whitehead, for the boy, said: “It would be very easy to simply infer that this young man is a terrorist with hidden agendas. They don’t exist in this case.

“There was never at any time, any positive intention to make any aggressive use of the items strewn about his bedroom.

“There is nothing in this case to suggest there was any intention to cause harm to human life.”

But Judge Wait responded: “This is a young man who has developed an expertise, who has broadcast it over the Internet, thereby exposing himself and the rest of us to people who would want to cause us serious harm.”

Mr Whitehead said the boy’s interests in fireworks began as “idle curiosity” and developed into a hobby.

“He plainly has an interest in pyrotechnics. It will no doubt be reported that he developed an unhealthy interest in weaponry.

“The scene met by the police demonstrates that all who visited that house were aware of activities going on inside.

“The youth report makes criticism not only of the boy but also of his parents.

“They are good, hardworking individuals. It appears they not only knew what the boy was doing, they allowed him to have them and indeed involved themselves at stages.

“The garden was littered with fireworks made and ignited over time.

“The neighbours were well aware of the activities and not intimidated by it.”

This is Tamworth