Archive

Tag Archives: attempted murder

A GRANDFATHER who was wrongly branded a paedophile has been found guilty of the attempted murder of his tormentor.

Mark Pearson repeatedly stabbed Michael Inwood with a lock knife in a horrific attack outside the Aldi store in Spennymoor on the afternoon of September 9.

Newcastle Crown Court was told Mr Inwood was stabbed eight times, including in the heart and lung, but he managed to survive the attack.

Pearson, 46, had denied trying to kill Mr Inwood but, following a trial, a jury convicted him of attempted murder as well as the less charge of carrying an offensive weapon.

The jury was told that Mr Inwood had wrongly accused Pearson of being a child sex offender which had led to several verbal altercations between the pair.

During a police interview read out during the trial, Pearson told police Mr Inwood was a bully who was “telling everyone” that he was a paedophile.

The attack happened outside the supermarket after he was called a paedophile on a bus in the town.

During his evidence, Pearson told the court: “If I meant to murder him I would have stood over the c*** and stabbed him again. How am I meant to know where his f*****g heart is? I don’t know about bodies.”

But during the trial Ian Brook, prosecuting, said Pearson’s account was not credible as he had changed his story several times and admitted lying about stabbing Mr Inwood.

Mr Brook also made reference to a message sent from Pearson’s phone to a friend shortly after the incident in which he said Mr Inwood had been stabbed and was “laid on the f*****g floor, flat out”.

Pearson, of Eden Road, Spennymoor, had denied stabbing Mr Inwood or carrying a knife.

Pearson, who is a father and grandfather, was found guilty on both counts this afternoon.

He has been remanded into custody and will be sentenced on May 1.

Northern Echo

A far-right terrorist who tried to kill Muslims in a rampage the day after the Christchurch attack has been jailed for more than 18 years.

Vincent Fuller shouted “all Muslims should die, white supremacists rule” after watching a Facebook livestream broadcast by the shooter.

The 50-year-old attacked cars with non-white drivers with a baseball bat in Stanwell, Surrey, then prowled the streets armed with a knife searching for more targets.

Kingston Crown Court heard that Fuller stabbed a teenager of Bulgarian heritage as he sat in a car with friends outside Tesco, telling him: “You’re going to die.”

The attack was declared a terrorist incident by police the following day but while Fuller admitted a string of offences including attempted murder, he denied committing an act of far-right terror.

Judge Peter Lodder QC found the stabbing had a “terrorist connection” on Tuesday and jailed Fuller for 18 years and nine months.

“This was an act of attempted murder and, as I have found, this was a terrorist act,” he told the court, after finding the stabbing was motivated by white supremacy and anti-Muslim hatred.

The attack unfolded on 16 March, the day after 51 Muslims were massacred at mosques in Christchurch.

“Vincent got a bit angry about the news from New Zealand because he said, ‘it is always them, the Muslims that get looked after and get cared about’,” his girlfriend told police.

Shortly before starting his rampage, Fuller wrote a Facebook post reading: “I am English, no matter what the government say. Kill all the non-English and get them all out of England.”A second post published half an hour later afterwards added: “I agree with what that man did in New Zealand as we will not be brainwashed to this their wrong [sic].”

Prosecutors said he first attacked a neighbour’s home with a baseball bat, calling the woman of Indian descent a “black c***”.

Neighbours heard Fuller shouting “kill Muslims” and “white supremacy”, with one woman reporting he said: “All Muslims should die, white supremacists rule. I’m going to murder a Muslim.”

After the woman refused to answer her door, Fuller walked down the road attacking cars and shouting racist insults and threats at drivers.

A Facebook post made by Vincent Fuller shortly before he started his attack in Stanwell, Surrey, on 16 March 2019

“I’m going to f***ing kill you, I’m going to f***ing cut your throat you black bastard,” he shouted at one driver, before attacking an Uber driven by a Muslim man.

Fuller broke the bat after attacking several vehicles, then went back home and armed himself with a knife.

He walked towards a Tesco supermarket, where a 19-year-old Bulgarian man was in his car talking to friends.

Witnesses said they saw Fuller approaching with a 12in knife with a black blade before he asked the teenagers: “Do you want to get hurt?”

The court heard that the victim replied “what?” before Fuller told him: “You’re going to die.”

The driver attempted to start his car to escape but Fuller lunged through the open window and stabbed him in the hand and neck.

He managed to drive to a nearby McDonald’s and received first aid, before undergoing three hours of surgery.

Prosecutor Jonathan Polnay said the teenager was targeted because he has lightly-tanned skin and was sat next to a friend with a long beard.

“His conduct was motivated by racist and religious hatred, bolstered by the consumption of alcohol,” he told the court.

Vincent Fuller, 50, went on a rampage armed with a knife and baseball bat in the Surrey town of Stanwell on 16 March 2019

”His intention was to strike fear into the hearts of people he described as ‘non-English’, in particular Muslims.”

Fuller, of Viola Avenue in Stanwell, was arrested a short distance away after being Tasered by police and initially denied carrying out the attack.

He later admitted attempted murder, possession of a bladed article, affray and racially aggravated harassment, alarm or distress.

Prosecutors said he called police officers “dirty immigrant scum” while being arrested, adding: “Dirty race traitor, I hope your kids die. I hope your f***ing family die.”

Fuller added: “I hope Syrians come over and rape your children. I hope Isis comes over and rapes your children.”

The court heard that he bore animosity towards police over an investigation of allegations made by his ex-girlfriend.

The day before the attack, Fuller rejected a request to attend a voluntary interview over threatening Facebook messages, calling the officer a “little girl” and telling her to “f*** off”.

A friend who spent time with him on the morning of the attack said he was “preoccupied with the fact that the police wanted to speak to him”, and saw television news about the Christchurch attack shortly afterwards.

In a police interview, Fuller admitted watching the shooter’s video and writing the Facebook posts, but “said he was angry and did not mean it”.

A baseball bat used by Vincent Fuller, 50, to attack cars in the Surrey town of Stanwell on 16 March 2019

He tested positive for cannabis and alcohol, and told police he had downed a large bottle of cider and three cans of strong lager.

Fuller has 24 previous convictions for 59 offences, including a six-year prison sentence in 1998 for stealing handbags from elderly women.

Benjamin Waidhofer, defending, told the court on Friday that his client had no historic links to terrorism and his actions stemmed from family problems “rather than an attempt to further a cause”.

But prosecutor Jonathan Polnay said that if someone had praised the London Bridge terror attacks, said they were going to kill non-Muslims and then stabbed someone, then that would “obviously be terrorism”.

The Stanwell incident is one of several alleged terror attacks and plots inspired in part by the Christchurch shooting, which saw the perpetrator publish a lengthy manifesto detailing a theory that white people are being “replaced” by Muslims.

Brenton Tarrant has been described as a “saint” on extremist forums and cited as an inspiration by white supremacists who carried out shooting massacres in El Paso and Poway.

On Monday, the head of UK counter-terror policing revealed that security services had foiled 15 Islamist and seven far-right attacks since March 2017.

The Independent

Fuller carried out the attack the day after 51 Muslims were killed in Christchurch, New Zealand

A white supremacist who tried to kill a Bulgarian teenager in a Tesco car park has been jailed for more than 18 years.

Vincent Fuller, 50, stabbed Dimitar Mihaylov, 19, in Stanwell, Surrey, a day after a gunman attacked mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand.

Kingston Crown Court heard Fuller, who admitted attempted murder, had set out to kill Muslims.

He had denied a terrorist motive but judge Peter Lodder QC said: “This was a terrorist act.”

BBC News

A far-right extremist watched a video of the Christchurch terror attack before slashing a 19-year-old Bulgarian with a knife, a court has heard.

Vincent Fuller, of Stanwell, Surrey, has previously admitted attempted murder at Kingston Crown Court.

The 50-year-old denies a terrorist motive and Judge Peter Lodder QC must rule on the issue before sentencing.

The court heard Fuller, who went on “a rampage” in Stanwell, intended to strike fear into the hearts of Muslims.

Fuller, of Viola Avenue, carried out his 16 March attack the day after the murder of 51 Muslim worshippers in New Zealand by a white supremacist, who livestreamed the shootings online.

A video excerpt of the massacre on Fuller’s phone was played to the court.

The court was told Fuller, before the attack, wrote on Facebook to get “non-English … out of England” and showing support for the events in New Zealand.

Video, taken from a doorbell and played to the court, showed Fuller carrying a baseball bat and seeking entry into a house, shouting racist abuse.

Prosecutor Jonathan Polnay described how a neighbour heard him say: “All Muslims should die. White supremacists rule. I’m going to murder a Muslim.”

Fuller walked along a road swinging a bat at cars before returning home to arm himself with a 12-inch kitchen knife, the court heard.

At a local Tesco car park, he attacked two occupants of one car – Dimitar Mihaylov and his black friend – after he walked past two white people in another vehicle, Mr Polnay said.

The court heard Mr Mihaylov was parked with his window down when a man approached, carrying a knife, and told him “you’re going to die”.

Mr Mihaylov’s hand was badly injured when he held it up to protect himself and the knife clipped his neck, the court heard.

Fuller then racially abused the armed officers who arrested him, calling them “race traitors”, Mr Polnay said.

Eventually during interviews, Fuller told detectives he had been drinking cider and super-strength beer and could not remember events.

A victim impact statement from self-employed Mr Mihaylov described how he will never regain full sensation in his hand, was unable to work for three months and can no longer work as a specialist roofer, leading to reduced income, and has increased anxiety.

Fuller admits his attack was racially and religiously motivated, but denies a terrorist motive.

He has also admitted possession of a bladed article, affray, and causing racially aggravated intentional harassment, alarm or distress.

The hearing was adjourned.

BBC News

Fuller carried out the attack the day after 51 Muslims were killed in Christchurch, New Zealand


A knifeman who slashed a 19-year-old Bulgarian in a Tesco car park after praising the Christchurch terror attacker has admitted attempted murder.

Vincent Fuller, 50, thrust a blade through Dimitar Mihaylov’s car window in Stanwell, Surrey, on 16 March.

Prosecutors said the attack, a day after 51 Muslims were gunned down in New Zealand, was an act of far-right terrorism.

Fuller denies this, but accepts the stabbing was racially motivated.

Before the attack, Fuller declared support for Christchurch gunman Brenton Tarrant in a Facebook post.

“I am English, no matter what the government say kill all the non English and get them all out of our of England,” he wrote.

‘Kill Muslims’

The next day, Fuller approached Mr Mihaylov’s car and shouted “you are going to die” as he swiped at him through the open window, prosecutors said.

His victim sustained wounds to his hands and neck.

Before the car park stabbing, Fuller had approached the home of a neighbour – who is of south Asian descent – armed with a baseball bat.

He went on to indiscriminately attack occupied vehicles, and was reportedly heard shouting “white supremacy” and “I’m going to kill Muslims”.

His earlier guilty pleas to attempted murder and possession of a bladed article, can be reported after he admitted further charges at Kingston Crown Court.

He admitted affray and causing racially aggravated intentional harassment, alarm or distress.

Fuller, of Viola Avenue, Stanwell, will be sentenced on 5 September.

BBC News

A knifeman who slashed a 19-year-old Bulgarian in a Tesco car park after praising the Christchurch terror attacker has admitted attempted murder.

Vincent Fuller, 50, thrust a blade through Dimitar Mihaylov’s car window in Stanwell, Surrey, on 16 March.

Prosecutors said the attack, a day after 51 Muslims were gunned down in New Zealand, was an act of far-right terrorism.

Fuller denies this, but accepts the stabbing was racially motivated.

His earlier guilty pleas to attempted murder and possession of a bladed article, can be reported after he admitted further charges at Kingston Crown Court.

He admitted affray and causing racially aggravated intentional harassment, alarm or distress.

Fuller, of Viola Avenue, Stanwell, will be sentenced on 5 September.

BBC News

One of the men charged with a shooting that took place after a white nationalist speaking event in Gainesville last October has accepted a plea deal with state prosecutors.

Colton Fears. (Courtesy of Alachua County Jail)

Colton Fears. (Courtesy of Alachua County Jail)

Colton Fears, 29, pled guilty to an accessory to attempted first-degree murder charge during his pre-trial hearing on Monday morning.

Fears’ lawyer, private attorney Lucas Taylor of Live Oak, said the agreement means Fears will waive his right to trial and accept the punishment handed down by 8th Circuit Court Judge James Colaw.

His guilty plea means Fears will face a maximum of 15 years in prison. A lighter sentence was not a part of his deal with prosecutors.

“There is no, you know, indication or promise whether it would be lenient or more harsh one way or another,” Taylor said as he was leaving the courthouse.

Fears was arrested alongside his brother 30-year-old William Fears and the alleged shooter, 29-year-old Tyler Tenbrink, on Oct. 19, 2017, after the three had traveled from Texas to see white nationalist Richard Spencer speak at the University of Florida. Following the event, the three were traveling in a silver Jeep when they got into an altercation with a group of protestors sitting at a bus stop on Archer Road.

The men chanted and praised Adolf Hitler in front of the protesters, one of whom hit their Jeep’s window with a baton.

The group drove a short distance away before police say Tenbrink got out and fired once towards the crowd of protestors, with the bullet striking a building behind them. Witnesses say Colton Fears and William Fears were yelling for Tenbrink to shoot the group.

All three were arrested on I-75 around 9 p.m. that night. Tenbrink admitted to firing the shot while in custody and police found two handguns in their vehicle.

Charges were dropped against William Fears for his role in the incident. He was subsequently jailed in Texas earlier this year, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center, awaiting trial for choking his girlfriend and illegally owning a firearm.

As part of his deal with prosecutors, Colton Fears will testify in another trial and his guilty plea will stand regardless of whether or not Fears fulfills his part of the agreement.

Tenbrink’s trial for attempted murder is scheduled to begin on Nov. 12.

Fears’ sentencing date is set for Nov. 21.

WUFT