He was banned after having a flare at a match in Cheshire
A banned football fan has admitted failing to hand over his passport to ensure he did not attend England’s away matches.
Carpentry apprentice Benjamin Baguley was given a one-year conditional discharge by Nottingham magistrates, who ordered him to pay £85 prosecution costs and £30 government tax.
They were told that he was handed a three-year football banning order by magistrates in Cheshire last year. Baguley, 22, of Montague Street, Bulwell, was also fined.
Sarah Smith, prosecuting, told the Nottingham court: “He was found guilty of possessing a flare and throwing it onto the pitch during a match.
“When the order was imposed, one condition was to surrender his passport when England are playing away.”
This was pointed out in a letter sent to him on August 29 last year but he had failed to hand in the passport by October 4.
Miss Smith added: “When interviewed about the matter, he accepted that he knew the condition. He said that he was busy at work, that was the reason why he didn’t comply and acknowledged the breach would be a serious matter.”
Baguley admitted failing to surrender his passport at the Central Police Station on October 4. He was given a one-year conditional discharge.
He told the court: “I know I have done wrong. I was busy and was more focused on sorting myself out, trying to get an apprenticeship which I managed to get.”
Presiding magistrate Maureen Baker, who sat with two colleagues, told him: “The football banning order is very important and was for a serious offence.
“It was very important you comply with the order and part of your order was to surrender your passport.
“We are giving you another chance. Keep out of trouble and comply with the football banning order.”
There is no suggestion that Baguley used the passport to watch football matches.