Archive

Tag Archives: suspended sentence

Mark Grogan had been drinking and admitted giving son a “good hiding”

A father has been given a suspended jail sentence after he assaulted his son with a baseball bat and threatened him with a machete.

Leeds Crown Court heard Mark Grogan had been out earlier drinking with his son Alex without any problem on January 15.

His son and a friend had returned with Grogan to his flat in Dewsbury where the drinking continued until the early hours. After the friend left both men fell asleep.

Bashir Ahmed, prosecuting, said the problems began when Grogan woke up and realised two treasured air rifles had gone and blamed his son or the son’s friend.

That led to an argument which culminated in Grogan pinning his son against a wall. He managed to get free and said he was leaving.

He had brought his dog with him and put it on the lead but as they were going Grogan partly shut the door trapping the dog’s paw. His son told him to leave the dog alone but Grogan then picked up the baseball bat and began to hit his son with it in the hall.

“At one point he hit him on the left leg causing him to fall over in pain,” said Mr Ahmed. He was also shouting: “I’m going to sort you out good and proper.”

His victim was struck again until he was crying and crawling on the floor towards the door only to be dragged back by Grogan.

He only managed to get away when his father went into the living room and as he got out saw Grogan was behind him waving a machete shouting: “When I get my hands on you I’m going to kill you.”

Alex Grogan, 20 at the time, managed to ring a relative for help and the police. When his father was arrested and interviewed he accepted giving his son “a good hiding, I just flipped.” He said if he had been sober it would never have happened.

Anastasis Tassou, representing Grogan, said his client had been drinking and he was upset about the air rifles but accepted he should have handled things differently. It was an isolated incident but the result had been a split in the family.

Grogan, 45 of Alexandra Crescent, Dewsbury, admitted assault causing actual bodily harm and threatening with an offensive weapon. He was given a total of 21 months in prison suspended for two years with 175 hours unpaid work and ordered to pay £300 compensation to his son.

Judge Mushtaq Khokhar said it was only his good fortune his son had not suffered even more serious injuries. But if Grogan was jailed immediately and lost his flat and job as a result it could only cause more problems.
Huddersfield Examiner

From 2016

A MAN who made his Asian next door neighbours’ lives a misery with his anti-social and racist conduct was spared immediate jail.

Burnley Crown Court heard how Nigel Hesmondhalgh, 36, who had a British National Party sticker in the window of his Accrington home, was abusive and insulting to the couple, repeatedly picking on the wife. He piled dog dirt up in the alley outside their home and told them:”It’s a white country, not a Muslim state.”

Hesmondhalgh, said to be the carer for his brother, who has learning difficulties, told the husband of the couple he should be scared and shouted support for the BNP. The couple had lived in their home for 14 years before he moved in.

The defendant, who has since moved, but wants to go back to the property on Higher Antley Street, had earlier admitted racially aggravated intentional harassment, alarm or distress. Hesmondhalgh, who has almost 90 previous convictions, had struck whilst on bail for similar allegations which were left to lie on file.

He kept his freedom, but his hostile and anti-social conduct was slammed by a judge, who warned the courts would not tolerate it.

Judge Philip Butler said Hesmondhalgh did not get on well with people who dared to interfere with his behaviour. He said had the neighbour been a white Irish woman, the defendant would no doubt have found some offensive and derogatory adjective to aim at her.

The judge told Hesmondhalgh: “You were the immigrant in that street, not her. You would be well advised not to go back there.”

Judge Butler added:”If you thought more about your brother you would perhaps reign in your mouth for a start.”

The defendant, of Stanley Street, Accrington, was given 36 weeks in custody, suspended for two years, with 18 months supervision and the Thinking Skills programme.

Manchester Evening News

From 2009

A New Hampshire man charged in connection to a white nationalist march at the University of Virginia last year is entering a plea deal with the commonwealth.

Albemarle Circuit Court was expected Friday, July 20 to only take up a motion to revoke or modify bond for Christopher Charles Cantwell. However, the Radical Agenda radio host decided to entered a plea agreement to two counts of assault and battery.

Cantwell was facing two felony counts of illegal use of tear gas, which stemmed from clashes between white nationalists and those protesting them around the UVA Rotunda on August 11, 2017. Jason Eric Kessler had listed Cantwell as one of the speakers at his Unite the Right rally, which was to take place the next day at then-Emancipation Park.

The commonwealth said Friday that it had found photographic evidence of Cantwell deploying pepper spray directly into a counter protester’s face. A second counter protester was indirectly hit by that pepper spray.

The judge also found Cantwell in violation of his bond agreement, which specified he was not allowed to talk about or reference the victims on social media or on the radio. The victims – Emily Gorcenski and Kristopher Goad – filed a federal lawsuit against Cantwell back in February, after he filed a similar lawsuit in January.

“What he [Cantwell] did was criminal. That was an important part of this case. Having it solved the way it was is consistent with the wishes of the victims in this case,” said Albemarle County Commonwealth’s Attorney Robert Tracci.

Cantwell had been scheduled for a five-day jury trial, which was to begin on August 13th. Per Friday’s plea agreement, he is also now barred from Virginia for the next 5 years, is not is allowed to possess a gun while in the commonwealth, is not to have contact with the victims, and was fined $250.

A hearing over the two federal lawsuits between Cantwell, Gorcenski & Goad has yet to be set.
07/20/2018 Release from the Office of Albemarle County Commonwealth’s Attorney:

Earlier today, Christopher Cantwell entered a plea of guilty to two counts of assault and battery stemming from his dispersal of pepper spray near the UVA Rotunda on August 11, 2017.

According to the terms of the plea agreement entered in Albemarle Circuit Court, Mr. Cantwell is required to:

Leave the commonwealth within eight hours;
Not return to the commonwealth for five years;
Not possess a firearm in the commonwealth;
Have no indict or indirect contact with the victims in this case.

Mr. Cantwell was sentenced to two terms of twelve (12) months, with all but 7 months suspended, to run concurrently.

The defendant received 107 days credit for jail time he has served relating to this case.

The defendant also pleaded guilty to violating the modified terms of his bond by making direct and indirect reference to the victims in this case on social media and in a radio broadcast. The court imposed a $250 fine for this violation.

The commonwealth agreed to amend charges to those to which the Mr. Cantwell entered a plea of guilty, and to bring no additional charges arising directly from the defendant’s deployment of pepper spray, tear gas, phosgene, or other gas, on August 11, 2017 if he does not violate the terms of the agreement entered by the Albemarle Circuit Court.

Albemarle Commonwealth’s Attorney Robert Tracci stated:

“This agreement reflects the defendant’s acceptance of criminal responsibility for his dispersal of pepper spray on August 11, 2017. The defendant must leave the commonwealth before the end of today, is prohibited from re-entering the commonwealth for five years, and is prohibited from direct or indirect contact with victims in this case during the period of good behavior. This outcome brings a measure of finality to the defendant’s dispersal of pepper spray nearly a year ago. This agreement was supported by the victims in this case, who have been consulted at each stage of the criminal process. Finally, this agreement does not foreclose additional potential criminal prosecution of conduct arising from the events of August 11th of last year.”

NBC

A blogger who was found guilty of broadcasting anti-Semitic songs on YouTube has been given a two-year suspended prison sentence.

Alison Chabloz, 54, from Glossop, Derbyshire, wrote and performed three songs about Nazi persecution, including one about the young diarist Anne Frank.

Chabloz claimed the Holocaust was “a bunch of lies” and referred to Auschwitz as a “theme park”.

She has also been banned from posting anything on social media for 12 months.

Alison Chabloz claimed the prosecution was an attempt to limit her free speech

A blogger who was found guilty of broadcasting anti-Semitic songs on YouTube has been given a two-year suspended prison sentence.

Alison Chabloz, 54, from Glossop, Derbyshire, wrote and performed three songs about Nazi persecution, including one about the young diarist Anne Frank.

Chabloz claimed the Holocaust was “a bunch of lies” and referred to Auschwitz as a “theme park”.

She has also been banned from posting anything on social media for 12 months.

Chabloz was convicted of two counts of sending an offensive, indecent or menacing message through a public communications network and a third charge relating to a song on YouTube.

She was sentenced to 20 weeks’ imprisonment, suspended for two years.

The Campaign Against Anti-Semitism initially brought a private prosecution against Chabloz, before the Crown Prosecution Service took over.

Gideon Falter, chairman of the campaign group, described Chabloz as a “remorseless and repulsive anti-Semite” after the case.

He said the sentence sent a strong message that Holocaust denial and anti-Semitic conspiracy theories will not be tolerated.

Alison Chabloz previously told the court she wanted to put across her "political, artistic, creative point"

Alison Chabloz previously told the court she wanted to put across her “political, artistic, creative point”

Chabloz, who describes herself as a Holocaust revisionist, said her music was “satire” and had previously told the court there was “no proof” gas chambers were used to kill Jewish people in World War Two.

However, prosecutors said three of Chabloz’s songs, including one which referred to the notorious Nazi death camp Auschwitz as a “theme park”, were criminally offensive.

Sentencing Chabloz at Westminster Magistrates’ Court, district judge John Zani said she had shown “no proper remorse” for her actions.

He said: “I don’t know whether you want to be a martyr to your purported cause – time will tell.”

Chabloz was cheered by supporters as she walked from the dock.

Along with the suspended sentence and social media ban, she will also have to complete 180 hours of unpaid work

BBC News

Ukip supporter Hall sent the emails in the wake of a Brexit debate in parliament

Ukip supporter Hall sent the emails in the wake of a Brexit debate in parliament

A man sent racist and threatening emails to six MPs, including one which urged David Lammy to “remember what happened to Jo Cox”.

David William Hall, 72, of Wolverhampton admitted six counts of sending grossly offensive messages.

Emails were also sent to MPs Dominic Grieve, Anna Soubry, Nicky Morgan and Heidi Allen.

Hall, who also sent a email to Eleanor Smith calling for her to be put on a “banana boat”, will be sentenced later.

Former education secretary Ms Morgan said the “threats of violence or death” crossed a line.

‘Burn in hell’

Ukip supporter Hall sent the emails last December, in the wake of a Brexit debate in parliament, the court heard.

One email, littered with capital letters and exclamation marks, was sent by Hall to four of the MPs after a parliamentary vote on an amendment to the EU Withdrawal Bill.

It had in the subject line: “Your back stabbing treachery” and read: “You deserve to be HUNG for your attack on our democracy yesterday.”

The email concluded, in capitals: “May you burn in hell for eternity.”

Prosecutor Matthew Brook said an email to Wolverhampton MP Eleanor Smith was sent after she made comments about the Black Country flag.

Mr Lammy and Ms Morgan attended court to give evidence against Hall when he entered his guilty pleas.

Speaking outside court Ms Morgan, Conservative MP for Loughborough, said: “MPs are of course subject to robust debate and scrutiny, which is what we should be.

“When things tip over into threats of violence or death, then I think a line has been crossed.”

BBC News

Five far right thugs admitted violent disorder in city centre two years ago

Five thugs who styled themselves the “Polish hooligans” and travelled to Liverpool to take part in a far-right rally in the city centre avoided prison sentences.

They were recruited by a group calling itself the North West Infidels , who organised the anti-immigration march on Saturday, February 27, 2016.

It led to widespread disturbances on Lime Street and around St George’s Plateau as the far-right mob were met by equally determined counter demonstrators.

Police struggled to keep order and a number of people, including police officers, were injured as cobblestones, fireworks, bottles and other missiles were hurled between the two groups.

Five Polish nationals – Lukasz Poczesny, 34, Igor Fiodorow, 20, Marcin Lasota, 33, Patryk Lesniowski, 22, and Mateusz Slezak, 26 – all appeared at Liverpool Crown Court for sentencing this afternoon after pleading guilty to violent disorder.

Simon Driver, prosecuting, said no attempts had been made to liaise with Merseyside police ahead of the planned rally.

Mr Driver said an already tense stand-off between the two groups was further inflamed by the arrival of the “Polish hooligans” gang, who were wearing black hooded jackets and intimidating masks.

He added: “The arrival of this group was a catalyst for an increase in the levels of violence which then ensued between the opposing factions.

Igor Fiodorow - one of four charged with conspiracy to commit violent disorder after clashes between anti-fascists and the far-right protestors

Igor Fiodorow – one of four charged with conspiracy to commit violent disorder after clashes between anti-fascists and the far-right protestors

“Police officers came under direct attack from both sides. Items including industrial fireworks, flares, bottles, cobblestones, eggs, fruit and vegetables and other missiles were thrown at the police and the opposing groups.

“A police inspector was knocked unconscious by a missile and a police constable suffered a broken wrist.”

Other injuries including a young woman who suffered a facial injury that needed plastic surgery, and a man who suffered a broken nose, after both were hit by flying masonry.

The five defendants were arrested by police after order was restored and they were identified on CCTV footage. An examination of their mobile phones found they had been in communication with each other and with members of the North West Infidels.

Judge Andrew Menary, QC, said the group’s political views, however offensive, may have been genuinely held, but the real reason for their presence was to behave like hooligans.

He added: “This was all sport for you, whatever your superficial political beliefs.”

He said he was sparing them custodial sentences on account of the fact that they were all employed, had pleaded guilty, and the events had taken place some time ago.

Members of the group each received prison terms of 18 months, suspended for two years, and were ordered to carry out either 150 or 180 hours’ unpaid work.

Liverpool Echo