Archive

Tag Archives: Wigan

 Daniel Lewis at an NF demo in Wigan. Picture from Hope Not Hate


Daniel Lewis at an NF demo in Wigan. Picture from Hope Not Hate

A Wigan man jailed for threatening shop staff with a weapon is also a notorious local far-right leader, it emerged today.

Anti-extremism organisations and politicians reacted with relief to the news Daniel Lewis, of Wigan Lane, is now behind bars.

Vile social media posts highlighted online show Lewis making comments about the Holocaust which are too offensive to print, appearing at racist hate events and posing with flags bearing swastikas.

The 31-year-old, who is the Wigan leader of extreme far-right group the National Front and has links to the infamous North West Infidels, has also previously been unmasked by anti-racism campaigning organisation Hope Not Hate as a Holocaust denier.

Lewis was finally put behind bars for four and a half years last Thursday following an incident in which he and another man wore balaclavas and brandished an axe and a claw hammer as they demanded terrified staff at the Tesco store on Gidlow Lane open the tills to give them money.

Hope Not Hate today said Lewis being put in prison would be a massive relief to those in Wigan and elsewhere he has previously targeted for hatred.

The organisation’s head of research Matthew Collins said: “He is absolutely feral. He was out of control and had been for quite a while.

“It wasn’t just going out and robbing shops, he was a persistent danger to women in Wigan. He stalked and attacked Labour Party members and the police were called on a number of occasions.

“He was involved with the National Front, he was the organiser for them in Wigan and one of a number of organisers across the North West.

“He was also aligned to the North West Infidels, who have particularly made a name for themselves intimidating women.

“We are very happy that he is off the streets. We hope he takes the time to reflect on his behaviour and I’m sure he will because he is in prison.”

Wigan MP Lisa Nandy, who has herself been targeted for sickening abuse by Lewis, called for more funding to be given to crack down on the far-right’s activities.

Ms Nandy said: “The vital work that Hope Not Hate and the police do to keep the public safe from these violent individuals should be commended.

“With the police under serious strain from nearly a decade of cuts and several threats involving the far right in recent years, it is clear they need a properly resourced, national strategy to help them in this crucial work.”

As news broke of Lewis’ jail sentence further details about his trail of appalling comments and actions came to light once more.

That included calling for violent actions against gay people, carrying out acts of harassment against people in Wigan and involvement in campaigns making horrific threats towards asylum seekers and refugees.

Hope Not Hate also previously reported on disgusting Facebook comments and photographs on Lewis’ account showing him smirking at the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp while the accompanying comments mocked Holocaust victims and denied the genocide.

Photographs were shared of Lewis playing a prominent role in a National Front demo in Wigan town centre in 2015 in which extremists, some of them giving Nazi salutes, clashed with a large counter-protest and police.

The NF attempted to hold a similar anti-immigration event in the borough in 2016 but it was called off at the last minute.

The law caught up with Lewis following the violent incident on May 10 this year, in which he and his co-offender emptied large amounts of cash, alcohol and cigarettes before driving off.

Responding to last week’s sentencing, Detective Sergeant Nigel Rigby of GMP’s Wigan borough said: “These men didn’t just demand money, they held an axe to an innocent woman’s throat as they made their threats.

“They caused immense fear and I am grateful we were able to get them in custody 24 hours after the terrifying ordeal.”

Wigan Today

Balaclava-clad robbers have been jailed after threatening a shop assistant with an axe.

Late on Thursday May 10, Daniel Lewis (19/04/1987) of Wigan Lane, Wigan and Stephen Warburton (22/04/1973) of Menses Avenue, Wigan walked into a Tesco Express on Gidlow Lane, one wearing a balaclava that was made out of a trouser leg, while the other’s balaclava was inside out.

Daniel Lewis

Daniel Lewis

Despite their amateur appearance, these men were brandishing an axe and a claw hammer, and held the axe to one of the staff member’s throats as they demanded money from the tills.

The violent duo then emptied the contents of the tills into a holdall that they had brought with them, throwing in alcohol and cigarettes.

They then fled from the scene in a silver Renault Clio.

Officers soon located this Clio and discovered the cash, cigarettes, claw hammer and axe that had been used in the robbery, alongside a receipt for the purchase of the weapons and the makeshift balaclavas.

With the evidence mounted against them, the duo were arrested later that day for robbery and refused to comment on whether they were responsible for the terrifying incident.

Warburton and Lewis pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing and were both sentenced yesterday, Thursday 9 August 2018, at Bolton Crown Court.

Warburton was sentenced to 6 and a half years for passion of a bladed article, assault and robbery, while Lewis was sentenced to four and a half years for robbery.

Detective Sergeant Nigel Rigby of GMP’s Wigan borough, said: “These men didn’t just demand money, they held an axe to an innocent woman’s throat as they made their threats.

“They caused immense fear, taking earnings that did not belong to them, and I am grateful we were able to get them in custody 24 hours after the terrifying ordeal.

“Warburton and Lewis will now spend the next 11 years behind bars, facing the consequences of their violent actions.”

Wigan Today

It happened in May this year on Menses Avenue

It happened in May this year on Menses Avenue

31 year old Daniel Lewis of Wigan Lane, Wigan and 45 year old Stephen Warburton of Menses Avenue walked into a Tesco on Gidlow Lane, one wearing a balaclava that was made out of a trouser leg, while the other’s balaclava was inside out.

Despite their amateur appearance, these men were brandishing an axe and a claw hammer, and held the axe to one of the staff member’s throats as they demanded money from the tills.

The violent duo then emptied the contents of the tills into a holdall that they had brought with them, throwing in alcohol and cigarettes.

They then fled from the scene in a silver Renault Clio.

Officers soon located this Clio and discovered the cash, cigarettes, claw hammer and axe that had been used in the robbery, alongside a receipt for the purchase of the weapons and the makeshift balaclavas.

With the evidence mounted against them, the duo were arrested later that day for robbery and refused to comment on whether they were responsible for the terrifying incident.

Warburton and Lewis pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing and were both sentenced yesterday, Thursday 9 August 2018, at Bolton Crown Court.

Warburton was sentenced to 6 and a half years for passion of a bladed article, assault and robbery, while Lewis was sentenced to four and a half years for robbery.

Detective Sergeant Nigel Rigby of GMP’s Wigan borough, said: “These men didn’t just demand money, they held an axe to an innocent woman’s throat as they made their threats.

“They caused immense fear, taking earnings that did not belong to them, and I am grateful we were able to get them in custody 24 hours after the terrifying ordeal.

“Warburton and Lewis will now spend the next 11 years behind bars, facing the consequences of their violent actions.”

Wish FM

An illegal photograph snapped during a court hearing has landed a Wigan man a hefty fine.

Defendant Daniel Lewis fell foul of the Criminal Justice Act, which makes taking a photograph a contempt of court offence, earlier this year.

The 28-year-old, of Battersby Street, Ince, took out his mobile phone during a break in proceedings but was spotted by court officials taking a picture of the courtroom.

Lewis was in Wigan and Leigh Magistrates’ Court on January 15 after pleading guilty to a public order offence relating to disorderly or threatening words of behaviour.

For taking the illegal picture, he later appeared at Liverpool Magistrates’ Court on February 1, and pleaded guilty to the offence.

He received a £200 fine and was ordered to pay a victim surcharge of £20 and court costs of £85.

For the public order conviction he was handed a £150 fine and ordered to pay £80 in compensation, a victim surcharge of £20 and £85 court costs.

The court also imposed a restraining order meaning that Lewis must not contact ******* ******** or ****** ********* and not enter ******* *********, Ashton-in-Makerfield.

The order lasts until July 15 this year.

The Criminal Justice Act 1925 prohibits any photographs, portraits or sketches of a justice or witness in, or party to, proceedings in the courtroom or its precincts.

Wigan Today

From 2016

A teenage soldier made religious and race hate remarks to a takeaway worker after salt was put on his chips.

Tyler Pollitt, who was described as expected to have a very bright future in the British Army, was abusive about the worker’s Muslim religion and ethnic origins after going into the Feast About takeaway in Blackpool.

Pollitt, an 18-year old logistics gunner with the Royal Artillery, of Wilkinson Street, Leigh, Wigan, pleaded guilty to religiously and racially threatening behaviour.

He was fined £500 with £85 costs and ordered to pay £100 compensation to the takeaway worker plus £50 victims’ surcharge by Blackpool magistrates.

Martine Connah, prosecuting, said Pollitt went into the Feast About takeaway on August 20 at 6.45pm and after he complained his portion of chips had salt on, the assistant made him another portion. Pollitt continued to complain and then made the vile remarks.

When a policewoman tried to arrest him, Pollitt threw himself to the floor claiming she had punched him, before making race hate remarks to a nearby group of Asian men.

A report from Pollitt’s commanding officer, which was read to the court, described him as an intelligent hard-working soldier who was expected to have a very bright future in the Army.

David Scully, defending, said his client had come to Blackpool with two friends and had too much to drink. He was ashamed of what had happened and had voluntarily offered to pay his victim compensation.

Blackpool Gazette

tp-1

tp

A vigilante with “a loathing for sex offenders” headbutted a suspected paedophile after using a fictional 14-year-old girl to lure him into a trap.

Andrew O’Neill arrived in Wigan town centre expecting to meet the teenage school girl he had been grooming via an online dating website and go to a hotel with her.

But the girl did not exist and his increasingly sexualised comments to the teenager were in fact being answered by a vigilante group.

When he got to Market Place in Wigan he was met by a waiting gang who filmed the attack by one of them, Daniel Holding.

The video was then posted on Facebook with the tag “NWI Nonce Busters”, referring to the right-wing group, the North West Infidels.

Holding, who headbutted him, cracking two of his teeth, was today jailed for eight months.

Judge Mark Brown told 25-year-old Holding: “The state cannot permit individuals to take the law into their own hands whatever the motives might be. Vigilante behaviour such as this cannot be tolerated.

“This was not a situation in which you sought to detect a sex offender and just report him to the police. You met him the Wigan town centre and imposed retribution upon him when you head butted him causing serious injuries to his mouth.

“You may have a loathing for sex offenders but I am satisfied this gave you the opportunity to use violence for what you perceived to be justifiable reasons.

“You described your actions in the street as ‘paedo hunting’ and ‘nonce busting’.”

The judge pointed out that Holding has previous convictions for violence and has breached court orders.

Holding, of Bridge’s Street, Atherton, pleaded guilty to assaulting 25-year-old O’Neill, causing actual bodily harm.

Lianne Birkett, prosecuting, told Liverpool Crown Court that the area of the attack was busy at the time of the attack in April and two witnesses contacted the police.

Holding was also clearly visible in the video posted on Facebook and he was arrested the next day.

O’Neill, of no fixed abode, was jailed for 12 months for grooming by a judge last month.

Daily Mirror

Three English Defence League supporters have been ordered to pay more than £350 each after being found guilty of subjecting rail passengers to serious racist abuse.

Tracey Hurley (33), Stuart Parr (28) and a 17-year old youth, who cannot be named for legal reasons, appeared at Wigan Magistrates’ Court on 20 January for trial.

The court heard that, on Friday 25 June last year, the trio had attended an EDL march in Bradford and had been on their way home when they travelled from Manchester Victoria to Wigan on a Northern Rail service. During the journey they became abusive and intimidating, subjecting several passengers to a torrent of racist abuse.

The abuse began when the three sang songs relating to the EDL and Taliban. At Salford Crescent an Asian man boarded the train and was immediately targeted by the group who shouted derogatory remarks about Allah to the man.

PC Tony McGibbon, of British Transport Police, said: “The abuse continued for some time and was directed at anyone on board the train who the three perceived to be anything other than white British. The behaviour of the three was offensive in the extreme, completely unacceptable and made everyone on the train feel incredibly uncomfortable.”

A passenger advised a member of rail staff who reported the behaviour of the three to BTP officers. After witnesses were spoken to the three where arrested and interviewed. During interviews they admitted having been at the EDL march and drinking heavily, but denied making any racist remarks or behaving in a racist manner.

PC McGibbon added: “Despite their initial denials, there is no doubt that these three behaved in a deeply offensive manner and subjected rail passengers to unacceptable and unwarranted abuse. BTP, the rail industry, and the wider criminal justice system, takes a dim view of anyone who behaves in such a way and the sentence handed out should serve as an example and warning to others.”

Hurley, of Kingsley Avenue, Goose Green, was fined £150, ordered to pay £200 costs and a £15 victim surcharge after being found guilty of a racially aggravated public order offence. Parr, of Golborne Place, Scholes, was fined £150, ordered to pay £200 costs and a £15 victim surcharge after being found guilty of a racially aggravated public order offence.

The youth, from Ashton-in-Makerfield, was fined £150, ordered to pay £200 costs and a £15 victim surcharge after being found guilty of a racially aggravated public order offence.

Lancaster Unity