Archive

Tag Archives: conditional discharge

He was banned after having a flare at a match in Cheshire

A banned football fan has admitted failing to hand over his passport to ensure he did not attend England’s away matches.

Carpentry apprentice Benjamin Baguley was given a one-year conditional discharge by Nottingham magistrates, who ordered him to pay £85 prosecution costs and £30 government tax.

They were told that he was handed a three-year football banning order by magistrates in Cheshire last year. Baguley, 22, of Montague Street, Bulwell, was also fined.

Sarah Smith, prosecuting, told the Nottingham court: “He was found guilty of possessing a flare and throwing it onto the pitch during a match.

“When the order was imposed, one condition was to surrender his passport when England are playing away.”

This was pointed out in a letter sent to him on August 29 last year but he had failed to hand in the passport by October 4.

Miss Smith added: “When interviewed about the matter, he accepted that he knew the condition. He said that he was busy at work, that was the reason why he didn’t comply and acknowledged the breach would be a serious matter.”

Baguley admitted failing to surrender his passport at the Central Police Station on October 4. He was given a one-year conditional discharge.

He told the court: “I know I have done wrong. I was busy and was more focused on sorting myself out, trying to get an apprenticeship which I managed to get.”

Presiding magistrate Maureen Baker, who sat with two colleagues, told him: “The football banning order is very important and was for a serious offence.

“It was very important you comply with the order and part of your order was to surrender your passport.

“We are giving you another chance. Keep out of trouble and comply with the football banning order.”

There is no suggestion that Baguley used the passport to watch football matches.

Nottingham Post

Prodromou: Notorious pusher and shover

Prodromou: Notorious pusher and shover

The far-right’s Paul Prodromou, the one-man walking and talking foul mouth, has been found guilty at Liverpool Magistrates court this afternoon of using threatening, abusive and insulting words during a disastrous far-right demonstration in Liverpool last February.

Prodromou, whose mouth appears to only open for profanity, was in Liverpool with a host of other neo-Nazis as part of a plan to atone for the disaster that was August 2015 when the people of Liverpool trapped gangs of neo-Nazis in the left luggage department at Liverpool’s Lime Street station.

As with August 2015, last February’s rally was also a disaster. At his court appearance today, Prodromou claimed he had acted in self defence to a charge of hitting someone over the head with a flag pole.

The prosecution then produced prior convictions, one from 2015 where he had a twelve -month conditional discharge for a similar offence. The Magistrates concluded that Prodromou had breached that conditional discharge. His defence began to argue that for a whole year since this offence Prodromou has kept away from bother. Surprisingly, Prodromou who is known to us as a builder, claimed he is unemployed and currently seeking employment. His defence suggested a new three-year conditional discharge.

There was also some other confusion; namely over Mr Prodromou’s name. It is well known that Prodromou likes to be known as the more Anglo-Saxon sounding “Pitt”, but he confirmed to the court that his name is Prodromou. That was particularly interesting, as in this foul mouthed rant, Prodromou makes a big thing of “standing by my name.” Oh well..

The magistrates decide that he should get a two year conditional discharge starting from today. He should also meet all the court costs given a full trial has taken place. Those costs are £620.00. He was also ordered to pay a £15 victim surcharge.

Prodromou asked if he could pay the fine back at £5 per week.

Already his supporters from his tiny South East Alliance (SEA) gang are claiming it is a great result for their leader. Others will not be so sure. Late last year, the fascist magazine Heritage & Destiny aired what a lot of people have been thinking for the last eighteen months, that it is becoming tiresome having Prodromou shouting, pushing and shoving his way around the far-right and yet unlike so many others he has encouraged, he never seems to end up in gaol. They were very clear as to how they felt about him.

Prodromou seemed to have no doubt he would be back at work tomorrow. He’s made himself a lovely little picture for his Facebook page where he claims he’ll be back terrorising women and children again this year.

Can you really believe anything he says?

Article from July 2017.

A CANNABIS smoker was caught out by police officers with a nose for crime.

Brazen Peter Scotter was puffing on the class B drug when he walked past two officers in Sunderland city centre, at 4pm on March 13.

They noticed that the 51-year-old, from Hendon Close, smelt strongly of cannabis and threw the cigarette he was smoking to the floor, Sunderland Magistrates’ Court heard.

Prosecutor John McGlone said one of the officers found it contained cannabis.

He said Scotter produced more cannabis in a bag and added: “That was seized from him.”

Anna Metcalfe, defending, said Scotter accepted he was in possession of cannabis.

She said: “He pleads guilty at the first available opportunity, and you have heard he assisted with the police search and offered to them the cannabis he had in his possession.

“He is in breach of a suspended sentence order in relation to criminal damage that was racially aggravated.

“He feels very foolish for jeopardising his liberty over a small piece of cannabis. He does not use cannabis regularly, but does use it socially.”

Magistrates did not activate Scotter’s suspended sentence, but instead imposed a 12-month conditional discharge and order he pay £85 towards court costs.
Sunderland Echo

Dave Russell. Rotherham 2014.

Dave Russell. Rotherham 2014.

Far-right pirate radio jock David Russell has promised to stay off the airwaves.

The father-of-two – who has been a member of the English Defence League – was arrested after his illegal station Motive8 hi-jacked the 90.4 FM frequency.

A judge heard how the DJ was operating legally when he broadcast over the internet – but two years ago he started transmitting over the airwaves – breaching the Wireless Telegraphy Act.

Now Russell, 45, of Mickleburgh Hill, Herne Bay, has told Judge Heather Norton he only did it so one of his sons had “street cred”.

He appeared at Canterbury Crown Court without a lawyer and pleaded guilty to breaching the 2006 Act by illegally running Motive8 from his home at the time in Lawrence Gardens, Herne Bay.

Russell, a full-time carer known as Davey J and Boss Man, said: “I made a mistake and it won’t happen again.”

Prosecutor Warwick Tatford said that broadcasting without a licence was a criminal offence.

“Those who hijack FM frequencies, pirate radio stations, are interfering with transmission and reception of signals by properly regulated stations, which pay for their licences,” he said.

“It may also cause dangerous disruption to transmissions on which the emergency services rely.”

He said Russell had been running Motive8 for five years – mostly over the internet – but in August 2013 it began branding 90.4FM in its advertising.

Officers from Ofcom raided his home in Herne Bay in December 2014, where they discovered Russell had been broadcasting via an iPhone to a transmitter in the roof.

Russell, who has 11,000 Facebook followers, agreed that some of his equipment, including a mixer, a transmitter, an iPhone and two advertising fliers be confiscated.

He was given a 12-month conditional discharge but was not made to pay any of Ofcom’s £11,159 investigation costs.

As he left the dock, the judge told him: “Internet only please, Mr Russell. Whether you agree with the law or not, it’s there and has to be obeyed.”

Russell replied: “Without doubt.”

After the raid Russell told his followers that 14 police officers and five Ofcom officials came to his house while he was in bed.

He added later: “This has all but wiped me out. It was overkill. This is not a big outfit, but it’s something we have to suffer. We are not earning money out of it.

“I might just get a slap on the wrist and get the kit back, most of which is my disabled son’s. But this has been an attempt to silence us.”

Kent Online

  WALKED FREE: Mathew Burton, who racially abused two men in a shop

Mathew Burton, pictured outside Grimsby magistrates court.

A SELF-PROCLAIMED EDL member who racially abused two Grimsby shop workers and smashed in a window walked free from court – because his co-accused “had not faced the right charge”.

Mathew Burton, of Durban Road, Grimsby, pleaded guilty to racially abusing Kanaganayagan Thirumurugan and Kanaganayagam Thirukumaran at Today’s Local Store, in Victoria Street, on Wednesday, September 30, 2015.

He was also charged with causing £500 of criminal damage to the shop window.

Grimsby Magistrates’ Court heard that Burton racially abused and taunted the two victims.

The court heard the 27-year-old shouted racist abuse before saying “get out of the country. I am a member of the EDL.

“I will close your shop.”

CCTV footage from the shop was seized by police.

The complainant served Burton despite being abused and did not retaliate, Karen Tunicliffe, prosecuting, said.

Having left the shop after buying a packet of cigarettes, Burton then returned with Nathan Meadows, who was wearing a jumper with EDL on the back.

The pair started to become aggressive as they waited at the back of a queue, with Meadows shouting “I will brick your face and smash your face up”.

Meadows spat on the floor and then appeared to spit towards the man behind the counter, before pushing items off the counter, the court heard.

Meadows then threw and landed seven or eight punches.

They left the store and Meadows was seen to lash out at the window of a passing bus.

The two of them then caused the glass to shatter on the shop’s window.

Meadows, 27, of Convamore Road, was given a 12-month conditional discharge at an earlier hearing, having been charged with using threatening or abusive words or behaviour.

Two other charges were dismissed after no evidence was offered.

Burton originally pleaded not guilty, but changed his plea before the case went to trial.

He carried out the offence while on bail for motoring offences, the prosecution said.

Mark McNeil, mitigating, said his client accepted what he did was unacceptable, adding that drink had impinged his decision making.

“He accepts he is easily led and often falls to peer pressure in a need to impress others,” he said.

He added: “I am not belittling the nature of the offence, but I am somewhat confused the co-accused was sentenced in the manner he was.

“One would say the co-accused was more culpable. He seems to be the main protagonist and yet he walked away with a conditional discharge.”

Deputy district judge Derek French described Burton’s behaviour as “absolutely despicable”.

“There is no way the charge against the co-accused was the right charge,” he added.

“If the co-accused did not go into custody then you shouldn’t either.

“You have been very fortunate today, you should have gone to prison.”

He was handed a six-month sentence, suspended for 12 months and was given 20 days of rehabilitation activity requirement.

He was also ordered to pay £250 compensation to the complainant, £500 to repair the window, an £80 victims’ surcharge and £85 prosecution costs.

Grimsby Telegraph

A NORTH West Infidel protestor was caught on tape shouting racist abuse in Blackburn.

Clare Louise Arrowsmith, 38, of Bothley Road, in Blackpool, had travelled to the town to take part in the far right rally.

NWI

She pleaded guilty to religiously aggravated threatening behaviour and was given a conditional discharge for 18 months.

She was also told to pay £85 costs and a £15 victim surcharge.

Catherine Allan, prosecuting, said Arrowsmith had travelled by train to take part in the town centre demo.

“She told police she was demonstrating against Islam because they were ‘grooming and murdering our children’,” Ms Allan said.

“She went on to express some extremist views about Muslims.”

Gary McAnulty, defending, said his client previously attended English Defence League demonstrations. He said there was no one else present except for the police.

He said: “This was the first time she had attended anything organised by the North West Infidels.

“They are a splinter group and very right wing compared to the EDL. It would appear there was no one there except the police.

“She was filmed making the comments and then went home.”

Lancashire Telegraph

CA

Mosque protest

Mosque protest

A PROTESTER has been convicted of shouting racist abuse from the top of a bus leaving a demonstration against a planned new mosque in Astley Bridge.

Shaun Jones had been at a demonstration led by the North West Infidels at the site of the proposed mosque in Blackburn Road on on Saturday, August 2, last year.

After the protest, Jones was seen to racially abuse a group of Asian men after poking his head through the roof of the bus and gesticulating at the crowd.

Jones left but police circulated his description and he was promptly arrested.

The 34-year-old, of Cromwell Road, Eccles, pleaded guilty to the charge at Bolton Magistrates Court.

He was conditionally discharged for three years and ordered to pay £415 costs.

Jones had previously denied the charges but changed his plea, with the period of his conditional discharge rising from two to three years because it was racially aggravated.

Ch Supt Shaun Donnellan said: “There is no place for any type of racist behaviour, especially those individuals who use the guise of a peaceful protest as a way of verbally attacking our community.

“Any reports made to police will be thoroughly investigated and positive action will be taken.”

Dozens of protestors attended the rally organised by the far right group the North West Infidels.

It was the second large-scale demonstration at the site of the application made by Taiyabah Islamic Centre, with dozens of police officers deployed to control the protests.

Hundreds of members of the local community also took to the streets.

Plans were approved by Bolton Council in July at a meeting which was disrupted by angry protesters from campaigners when the decision was made.

Councillors had to be escorted from the Festival Hall at Bolton Town Hall while the protesters were escorted out.

Cllr Guy Harkin, who represents Crompton ward, said: “Some of the behaviour at the protests was obscene and disgusting.

“I am very pleased that there has been a conviction and regret that there have not been more, although I understand that the police have to keep the peace and it is very difficult to gather evidence in this sort of melee.”

The plot of land just off Canning Street has been earmarked for a mosque, complete with a dome, minaret tower and 19 classrooms.

Those behind the proposals say the new building will bridge the gap between “negative perceptions” of Islam and the faith’s true meaning.
Bolton News