Archive

Tag Archives: Stoke on trent

Richard Broughan apologised over arguments in pubs

Richard Broughan apologised over arguments in pubs

A councillor has apologised after arguing with residents.

Stoke-on-Trent City Councillor Richard Broughan was found by the authority’s Standards Committee to have got into a drunken argument over payment at a pub.

He had failed twice to write an apology letter and attend extra training, after being asked to do so by the council.

Mr Broughan has now apologised and confirmed he went to training for alcohol issues and will attend code of conduct sessions.

The Standards Committee upheld a complaint from an unnamed Stoke-on-Trent pub, during which the councillor, who represents the For Britain party on the Abbey and Hulton ward, was said to be “intoxicated and swearing” whilst arguing with a man at the bar, according to the Local Democracy Reporting Service (LDRS).

In a second complaint about a different incident – which was partially upheld – it was claimed Mr Broughan threatened to have the Travellers Rest pub in Milton shut down.

In a related incident, the councillor accepted a police caution for assault at a Milton fish and chip shop, but this complaint was not upheld by the committee as he was not on council business at the time.

Mr Broughan was previously ruled to bring the authority into disrepute over claims he made sexual remarks about a woman dressed as an elf.

BBC News

Andrew Emery, of Bentilee, ‘let his fingers run away with him’ on day of the Ariana Grande One Love tribute concert

Drunken Andrew Emery has been jailed after he made public posts on Facebook calling for ‘mosques to be burned’ in the aftermath of the Manchester bombing.

The 45-year-old dad ‘let his fingers run away with him’ on the day of the One Love tribute concert organised by singer Ariana Grande last summer.

He posted, ‘It is time we started to fight back. The Government won’t do **** because of the PC brigade. Every time we have a terrorist attack we should burn a mosque’.

Three hours later he posted, ‘To all the British murderers and serial killers out there, do us all a favour and concentrate on the Muslim community’.

A further post read, ‘Burn a mosque today and feel better’.

His posts could be read by the wider public and he was arrested after a complaint was made to Humberside Police.

Andrew Emery was jailed after admitting stirring up religious hatred on Facebook

Andrew Emery was jailed after admitting stirring up religious hatred on Facebook

Now Emery has been jailed for two years at Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court.

Prosecutor Harpreet Sandhu said the comments came on June 4 last year, the day of a tribute concert following the Manchester MEN Arena bombing on May 22 in which 22 concert-goers were killed.

Mr Sandhu said: “The defendant posted, ‘It is time we started to fight back. The Government won’t do **** because of the PC brigade. Every time we have a terrorist attack we should burn a mosque, preferably when it is full’.

“Three hours later the defendant posted, ‘To all the British murderers and serial killers out there, ‘Do us all a favour and concentrate on the Muslim community’.

“He later posted in capital letters, ‘Burn a mosque today and feel better’.”

Mr Sandhu said the defendant’s posts were not confined to his 157 Facebook friends and could be seen by the wider public. The posts led to a member of the public contacting Humberside Police on June 4.

Mr Sandhu added that the posts were not isolated and Emery had made comments on previous dates including, ‘Trump had the right idea trying to stop Muslims entering his country. Maybe we should do it so we would only have to worry about the scum already here’.

The defendant told police he had posted ‘stupid comments’ on Facebook. He added he was not a racist.

Emery, of Aylesbury Road, Bentilee, pleaded guilty to three charges of publishing or distributing written material intending to stir up religious hatred.

Brian Williams, mitigating, conceded the defendant’s comments were ‘abhorrent’.

He said Emery is a hard-working family man and has a teenage daughter who is an Ariana Grande fan.

Mr Williams said: “She wanted to go to the concert but they could not afford to send her.

“At the time he drank too much and his father had just been diagnosed as terminally ill. These offences post date the terrible explosion in Manchester and there was the added factor his daughter could have been there.

“Without thinking rationally he allowed these appalling comments to pour out. He would not have gone in a pub or stood on a street corner and said such things.

“His fingers ran away with him. They were faster than his brain.”

Recorder John Butterfield QC told Emery his posts did a great disservice to those injured and killed in the arena bombing.

He said the defendant’s previous posts demonstrated that the three charges he pleaded guilty to were not isolated or uncharacteristic.

Recorder Butterfield QC said the offences were aggravated by the fact the posts advocated fatal violence, they were widely available to the public and they occurred at such a sensitive time.

He added: “They were hot on the heels of the London Bridge/Borough Market incident on June 3, the day before the tribute concert.”

Stoke Sentinel

Barbara Fielding-Morriss, 79, denied stirring up hatred, saying her blogs were to educate people

Barbara Fielding-Morriss, 79, denied stirring up hatred, saying her blogs were to educate people

A 79-year-old woman who campaigned to be an MP and praised Hitler on a website blog has been found guilty of stirring up racial hatred.

Barbara Fielding-Morriss, a self-confessed white supremacist and anti-Semite, stood as an independent in Stoke-on-Trent in June’s election.

She described Adolf Hitler as a good man and wished Great Britain to be “white only”.

She was found guilty of three charges at Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court.

The jury found her not guilty of a fourth charge of publishing written material with the intent of stirring up racial hatred.

Judge Mr Recorder Julian Taylor said some of the articles contained the “most vile details” he’d ever read and that she should be “thoroughly ashamed” of herself.

Fielding-Morriss, of Stuart Avenue, Draycott in the Moors, Stoke-on-Trent, stood in a by-election in Stoke Central in February 2017 after the resignation of the then Labour MP Tristram Hunt and again in the general election last summer.

She polled just under 250 votes in both elections.

She is the leader and only member of the Abolish Magna Carta Reinstate Monarchy Party, the court heard, and she commissioned a party website she could blog on where she made the inflammatory comments.

In four blogs between September 2016 and September 2017, she included statements about how asylum-seeking Jews were like termites and made comments about mentally disabled migrant children, jurors were told.

Remarks ‘justified’

Fielding-Morriss admitted to police after her arrest she was a white supremacist, a fascist and an anti-Semite but denied stirring up hatred, saying it was to educate people.

Jurors heard she was not on trial for being racist or a fascist but for whether she intended to stir up racial hatred by publishing the comments.

Representing herself, Fielding-Morriss said her defence fell under freedom of expression, set out in the Human Rights Act, and the special defence of public good and being justified in the interest of science, arts, literature and learning.

Although she accepted several posts were insulting, Fielding-Morriss said had no reason to believe that publishing the remarks would constitute an offence.

Her final submission to the jury was: “Don’t mind if you find me guilty as I’ve done my best to save you from extinction.”

Fielding-Morriss is due to be sentenced on Friday.

She was told by the judge he was “strongly considering” a custodial sentence and she should secure herself legal representation.

BBC News

Disgraced Richard Broughan will still be able to attend meetings

Controversial councillor Richard Broughan has been banned from council premises for three months – except to attend meetings.

Members of Stoke-on-Trent City Council’s standards committee imposed the sanction after upholding one complaint and partially upholding a second against the Abbey Hulton and Townsend councillor.

The first complaint – which was fully upheld – related to an incident at a Stoke-on-Trent pub in October 2016.

The second complaint related to an incident at the Travellers Rest pub, in Milton, which was also upheld by the committee. But a subsequent incident at a Milton fish and chip shop was not upheld because Mr Broughan was not on council business at the time.

Mr Broughan did not attend today’s hearings and was tonight unavailable for comment.

The first complaint was lodged by Frank Buxton who described Mr Broughan as ‘intoxicated’ and ‘swearing loudly’. Mr Broughan accepted there had been an issue with the payment for drinks and that he got into an argument with a man at the bar.

But according to Mr Buxton’s statement, Mr Broughan was not served and was asked to leave. Outside the pub he told Mr Buxton he was a councillor and handed him his business card. Mr Buxton subsequently made a formal complaint to the council about Mr Broughan’s behaviour.

Council investigator Clare Clarke ruled Mr Broughan’s behaviour put him in breach of the council’s code of conduct.

Speaking at today’s hearing, she said: “Mr Broughan was acting as a councillor and I have been provided with the business card he presented on the night in question. I was able to meet with the landlord’s son and daughter and the statement from them corroborated that version of events.”

Chairman Ross Irving condemned Mr Broughan and claimed he has a drink problem.

He said: “Officers from the democratic services department have spent a considerable amount of time and effort after difficult meetings where it was clear that Mr Broughan was under the influence of drink. Mr Broughan has a serious problem with alcohol – he cannot go around behaving like he was.”

The committee found Mr Broughan had breached authority rules about treating others with respect and his behaviour had brought the authority into disrepute.

The second complaint related to a verbal spat with a man in January which started in the Travellers Rest and continued at a chip shop. It was also claimed Mr Broughan threatened to have the Travellers Rest shut down. He accepted a police caution for an assault at the chip shop, which meant paying £100 compensation to his victim, apologising to him and attending an alcohol management course.

Mr Broughan has insisted he was not acting in an official capacity. But council investigator Christopher Parry found Mr Broughan was acting in an official capacity at the Travellers Rest and in an unofficial capacity at the takeaway.

The committee found he breached authority rules during the Travellers Rest incident. He must write a letter of apology to the complainants and the chip shop manager. He will also have to attend training.

Mr Irving had earlier likened the committee’s powers to a ‘toothless tiger’.

He added: “Mr Broughan has behaved in an appalling way. This is one of the worst cases the panel has heard for a considerable period of time.”

Stoke Sentinel

Defendant, 20, reacted after counter-protester chucked firework during demonstration organised by Stoke-on-Trent Infidels

‘Abusive’ Britain First supporter David Davis ran at a police line and shoved an officer in the chest during a far-right protest.

The 20-year-old attended the Burslem protest which was organised by Stoke-on-Trent Infidels and featured Britain First leaders Paul Golding and Jayda Fransen.

But the father-of-one became angry when a counter-protester threw a firework towards the Swan Square crowd during the ‘rally against grooming’ demonstration.

Now Davis, of Leek New Road, Cobridge, has admitted assaulting PC Stuart Fellhouse.

Britain First supporter David Davis being arrested at far-right rallyBritain First supporter David Davis being arrested at far-right rally

Britain First supporter David Davis being arrested at far-right rally

North Staffordshire Justice Centre heard the rally took place on October 28. Police have previously stressed more arrests will be made following last month’s protest.

“Davis pushed the PC with both his hands in the middle of the chest before jumping back into the crowd. He was then put on the floor by another officer and arrested.

“The defendant accepted he should not have done it and said he pushed the officer because he wanted to get to the other crowd.”

Britain First supporter David Davis is wrestled to the floor by police

Britain First supporter David Davis is wrestled to the floor by police

Scott Ashdown, mitigating, told the court that the defendant has started an anger management course. He is already subject to a 12-month community order for a racially-motivated offence and has been working with the probation service.

PC Fellhouse was not injured in the incident and called for a community order to teach him about other beliefs and cultures.

The defendant was handed a 12-month community order.

Magistrate Vivian Patterson said: “It is to your credit that you have been complying with the probation service but you have found yourself in court for assaulting a police officer. You know it is wrong and we are making you subject to the community order so you do more work with the probation service.”

Davis must also pay £135 court costs, an £85 victim surcharge, a £50 fine, and £30 compensation to PC Fellhouse.

Stoke Sentinel

Stephen Weeks and Drew Thorpe were found guilty by a jury at Warwick Crown Court after a five week trial.

These are the faces of two men sentenced to life following the murder of ‘lovable rogue’ Lee Brooks.

Stephen Weeks, 48, and Drew Thorpe, 19, were told on Thursday by a Crown Court judge that they would spend at least 16 years and 12 years in prison respectively.

The pair were found guilty by a jury at Warwick Crown Court after a five week trial.

The pair attacked Mr Brooks with a claw hammer and a spanner while he slept at Weeks’ home in Hugh Road during the morning of August 26, 2016.

Stephen Weeks (left) and Drew Thorpe (right)

Stephen Weeks (left) and Drew Thorpe (right)

Despite the best efforts of the emergency services and medical staff, he died five days later in hospital.

Weeks, of Hugh Road, Stoke, and Thorpe, of Hollis Road, Stoke, had denied murder.

Sentencing judge Richard Griffith-Jones said: “I am acutely aware of the terrible shock that it is when a loved one dies suddenly.

“When that happens in circumstances of this brutality it is all the more shocking. So also is it a terrible thing for a person to outlive their own child.

“I hope they will be able to pass onto Lee Brooks’ children memories of him and his character which will be so important…that they will be able to have affection and pride in the person that gave them life that is no longer there.”
Coventry Telegraph

THREE grandparents have been jailed for attacking a couple outside a pub – because they thought the male victim was Polish.

Paul Clarke, Sean Pickerill and Judith Pickerill – all in their forties – took part in the assault on Slovakian Milan Panacek and his English girlfriend Genevieve Barnett during a night out in Newcastle.

Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court heard tension had sparked between the male defendants and Mr Panacek because of the design of T-shirts they were wearing.

Sean Pickerill’s top bore the logo ‘Blood and Honour – England’, while Clarke’s had the brand ‘One True Saxon’.

Mr Panacek’s shirt had a quote in Spanish relating to the country’s civil war.

Following a disagreement on the dancefloor of The Rigger pub, Mr Panacek and Miss Barnett went outside where they were attacked by a group of around eight people, which included the defendants.

Prosecutor Elizabeth Power said: “They were shouting racial abuse about Mr Panacek being Polish.

“He tried to tell them he wasn’t Polish.

“Judith Pickerill punched Miss Barnett and scratched her to the face.

She pulled her backwards, pulling at her hair extensions.

“She fell to the floor and hit her head on the pavement.

“Her extensions were pulled out at the roots and blood was coming from her head.”

Judith Pickerill, aged 45, of St Bernard’s Road, Newcastle, went on to assault the pub’s manager Robert Birchill.

Father-of-three Sean Pickerill, aged 46, and Clarke were attacking Mr Panacek.

Police arrived to find the group which included the defendants making Nazi salutes and shouting: “Go back to your own country.”

Miss Power said witnesses described the group as ‘like a pack of animals’.

The court heard Miss Barnett suffered injuries including concussion and whiplash, and suffered blackouts after the incident.

Mr Panacek, who has lived in the UK for six years, had a fractured nose.

All three defendants pleaded guilty to racially aggravated assault occasioning actually bodily harm. Judith Pickerill also admitted common assault.

The court heard they all had previous convictions but had not been in trouble for a number of years.

Marc Davies, representing Judith Pickerill and 47-year-old Clarke, also of St Bernard’s Road, said: “They are ashamed and very sorry.

“These are two people that had been out of trouble for a long time, addressed any issues with drugs and settled down with families and full time employment.

“They are active and involved grandparents.”

Paul Cliff, representing Sean Pickerill, of St Giles Road, Knutton – who also has a grandchild – said: “He works in the construction industry alongside people from all over the world including Eastern Europeans and there have been no problems.”

Judge David Fletcher sentenced each defendant to 12 months in prison. He told them: “This was an ugly, appalling incident. Your racial comments, in the hearing of numerous people, were completely ignorant. You are three people in your mid-forties. That makes this offence even more shocking.”

Stoke Sentinel

sean-pickerill