Archive

Tag Archives: curfew

Josh Ingram made a post on Facebook from Grimsby Crown Court where he was sentenced for threatening to kill a young woman and her son

Joshua Ingram leaves Grimsby Crown Court minutes after a taunting post, inset, appeared on his Facebook page (Image: Grimsby Telegraph)

Joshua Ingram leaves Grimsby Crown Court minutes after a taunting post, inset, appeared on his Facebook page (Image: Grimsby Telegraph)


A grinning thug from Grimsby posted a sick Facebook post as he sat in court waiting to be sentenced for assaulting a woman and threatening to throw her terrified toddler out of a window.

Josh Ingram, 18, of Gilbey Road, joked and larked about with his supporters outside Grimsby Crown Court after he escaped jail, despite admitting charges of making threats to kill, assault and causing criminal damage.

But moments earlier, while still in court, Ingram made an abusive post on his Facebook page which appeared to be directed at his victim.

Writing a status update at 12.48pm from the court building, Ingram wrote: “Hahaha what a trampy liarr, still laughinggg like alwaysss (sic).”

Swaggering Ingram, described by his own solicitor as a “stupid young man”, walked free from court at 1.10pm after being given a suspended prison sentence and a life ban from contacting his victims.

A woman who appeared to be a relative later replied to his status, posting: “Bit daft writing this don’t you think?

The court was told how Ingram had shoved the toddler’s head into a wall, put a knife against his mum’s face and tried to smother her with a pillow during the terrifying ordeal on May 7, in which he told them both they would die.

During the court case, Craig Lowe, prosecuting, told Grimsby Crown Court that Ingram was at the home of his ex-girlfriend when his mood changed and he became very “nasty” towards her very young son.

He shoved the toddler’s head against a wall, causing him to scream, and told the woman: “You watch. I’m going to go mad.”

Ingram “smashed up stuff” and threw the boy’s rocking horse across the room. The boy was screaming and shaking.

ngram told the woman: “I’m going to throw him down the stairs. I’m going to throw him out of the window.”

The teenager later grabbed a knife and looked “so angry” before shouting: “I’m going to kill you both. You’re both going to die.”

Ingram put the knife to the woman’s face and told the boy: “I’m going to kill you.”

In mitigation Richard Hackfath, said Ingram was completely ill-equipped to deal with the responsibilities of his first proper relationship.

“He accepts his behaviour was completely beyond the pale,” said Mr Hackfath.

“It was terrible behaviour. This is a stupid young man who has behaved appallingly badly.”

Ingram was given a two-year suspended custodial sentence, 150 hours’ unpaid work, a three-month curfew, two years of supervision and 30 days’ rehabilitation.

He was also given a lifelong restraining order banning him from contacting the mother and her son.

Grimsby Telegraph

Drunken thugs boasted on Facebook about starting a ‘war’ in a pizza shop after attacking and racially abusing workers, smashing a door and hurling pizza boxes around the shop.

Brothers Jamie York, 32, and John Alexander Brown, 19, both of Greenwood Avenue, Mansfield Woodhouse and Shaun Andrew Bowers , 35, of Crompton Road, Mansfield were caught on CTTV in Chicho’s on High Street, Mansfield Woodhouse.

All three had been to Bowers’ grandfather’s funeral on January 26, had been drinking and went for food at the shop before 8pm that day.

However, Mansfield Magistrates’ Court heard how an argument broke out over the size of a pizza and things ‘turned very badly’, according to defence solicitor for Brown and York, Chris Perry.

The court was shown extensive CCTV footage of the incident which showed punches being thrown, pizza boxes and dishes being hurled between both the defendants and the shop workers. Racial insults and threats were also heard.

At one point Brown is seen picking up a ‘wet-floor’ plastic sign and throwing it at the staff. The staff can also be seen swinging a wooden stick around to defend themselves.

One member had to be later taken to hospital with bruising and swelling.

Brown was seen later seen returning to the shop and kicking the door, damaging it.

Two of the three defendants were later found to have posted entries on Facebook with what prosecutor Robert Carr described as ‘rejoicing at what they called a war’, and laughing and bragging.

But in mitigation, the court was told how the defendants do not consider themselves to be racist and insults may have been shouted in the heat of the moment.

Mr Perry said: “They did not intend to cause trouble, there were events that led to this inexcusable behaviour.

“The catalyst for it was very innocuous.”

Bowers admitted racially-aggravated provocation of violence and was handed a 12-month community order with 200 hours of unpaid work, £200 compensation and £145 in costs.

Brown admitted criminal damage and two counts of assault, while York admitted racially-aggravated criminal damage and two counts of racially-aggravated assaults.

They each received 18 weeks’ jail for the assaults, plus four weeks for the criminal damage charges, all suspended for 12 months.

They each had to pay £750 in compensation, Brown was also given 200 hours of unpaid work while York was given a three-month curfew order.

All three were handed a one-year restraining order to not enter the pizza shop.

Mansfield Chad

c1

c2

C3

A 42-year-old man appeared in court for carrying a pen that could double-up as an offensive weapon in Dover.

Darren Vincent from Gillingham was arrested after he was spotted carrying a “Military/Tactical Pen” in Folkestone Road on January 30, when far-right and anti-fascist protesters clashed in Dover.

Then pen is typically made out of solid metal. It can be used as a “last-ditch self-defence tool”.

Vincent appeared at Thanet Magistrates Court on June 6 and was sentenced to 77 days in prison suspended for 12 months.

He was ordered to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work in the next 12 months and was given a three month curfew to stay at home between 9pm and 5am.

He must also pay £85 in costs and an £80 victim surcharge.

Dover Express

DV

Magistrates expressed surprise that no-one else was charged alongside Keith Edward Hall, 38, of Bath Street, Rhyl

Keith Hill

A man has been given a suspended prison sentence for a firework attack on a mosque.

Magistrates saw video footage which showed Keith Edward Hall twice approaching the Islamic Centre in Rhyl, lighting the fireworks and pushing them through the letterbox on November 11.

In the background, a man and woman could be heard laughing and shouting: “Hurry up.”

Having seen the film, Prestatyn magistrates expressed surprise that no-one else has been charged in connection with the attack.

Hall, 38, of Bath Street, Rhyl, had pleaded guilty to religiously aggravated criminal damage at the centre in Water Street.

In the footage, filmed from the doorway of the Bow Bar opposite, Hall was seen approaching the mosque twice in 20 minutes.

In a victim impact statement, Rafiq Ullah, the centre’s treasurer, said the damage could have been much greater had they not taken measures to improve fire safety after a previous incident.

He said people could easily have been injured as the prayer room was behind the door.

The incident occurred only two days before the Paris shootings, and Mr Ullah said tension at the mosque was high in that period. It eased when Hall was arrested.

When interviewed, Hall said he could remember very little about the incident because he had drunk eight litres of cider and eight shorts.

He woke up the following morning with a sore arm where part of the letterbox surround had hit him when it was blown off.

He denied being a racist and claimed to have several friends from ethnic minorities.

Alex Fitzgerald, representing Hall, said he found it “astonishing” that no-one else had been charged even though they were interviewed.

Mr Fitzgerald told the court that Hall did not even realise that the building was a mosque.

“It was not born out of a deep-seated hate of the Muslim community, but was an act of utter stupidity,” he said.

“He is embarrassed at his stupidity and wishes to apologise. Alcohol affects his thinking and his behaviour.”

Hall was given a 16-week prison sentence suspended for 12 months, and must also observe a 7pm-7am curfew and attend a six-month alcohol treatment course and 25 days of rehabilitation.

He was also ordered to pay compensation of £558, costs of £300 and a surcharge of £80.

The Bench made a restraining order prohibiting him from entering Water Street for 12 months.

Daily Post

KH 1

KH 2

KH 3

KH 4

KH 5

Liam Edwards at Manchester Magistrates Court

Liam Edwards at Manchester Magistrates Court

A man who went into his local Sainsbury’s supermarket and stuck stickers on packets of meat that read “beware halal is barbaric and funds terrorism” has been given a month-long curfew.

Liam Gary Edwards, 29, today pleaded guilty to racially aggravated criminal damage on the day of his trial but insisted that he was protesting against the halal slaughter of animals after watching a television documentary.

The self-proclaimed “animal lover” stuck nine stickers with the hashtag #banhalal on halal poultry products after obtaining the stickers over the internet.

At an earlier hearing held at Manchester and Salford Magistrates’ Court, the van driver pleaded guilty to possession of cannabis after police found the Class B during a search of his home in Chancel Avenue, Ordsall, following the incident.

Today the same court was told that CCTV captured Edwards going into the supermarket on Regent Road, Salford, on February 20 with his girlfriend and two young children.

Later staff at the store became aware of the stickers on various packets of chicken breasts, thighs and a whole chicken worth £16.50 which could no longer be sold due to concerns for contamination.

Upon searching the hashtag term on Twitter, staff found images of the stickers on trollies and point of sale displays.

For the prosecution, Miss Lisa Connor said that upon his arrest Edwards apologised to officers.

She said: “He accepted he had been in possession of the stickers and placed them on various items. He got involved in a Twitter conversation about halal and maintains that his whole motivation was his concern for the way in which halal meat is obtained and what happens in abattoirs.”

She added that he had never disputed the offence and accepted the prosecution’s case

“He maintained he wasn’t motivated by any racial prejudice he just wanted to highlight the cruelty involved. He admitted he was sorry for his actions.”

The court heard that he had no similar matters on his record.

For Edwards, Mr Lee Hammond said that after watching a documentary on how livestock were dealt with in slaughterhouses he had taken to Twitter.

There he came across others who shared views of what they perceived to be “unfavourable methods” and one sent him the stickers.

Mr Hammond said: “Unfortunately the group he had found had more extreme views that went in to religion, funding and terrorism.”

He added that there had not been any complaints to the store or the police by members of the Muslim community.

Edwards told the bench: “I’m a big animal lover, be it for racial or other purposes I believe it is wrong to treat animals in that way.”

In passing sentence of a four-week curfew for the two offences to run between 9pm and 7am, chairman Mrs Vanessa Goldstone said it had not been “a run-of-the-mill case”.

He must also pay £100 prosecution costs, £60 surcharge and £16.50 compensation.

Manchester Evening News

LEle 1

le 2