Archive

Tag Archives: wounding with intent

A man who smashed his former partner’s head against a coffee table and punched her more than 20 times has been locked up for ten years.

Jonathan Youthed, 31 of Hungarton Court, Peterborough, turned up at the woman’s house covered in blood and bragging about having assaulted another man on 25 March this year.

Earlier that day, Youthed had texted his ex-partner asking what she was doing later but it was obvious from his messages that he was drunk, Peterborough Crown Court heard.

Youthed then turned up at her house at about 10pm, but an argument began after he told her he had attacked another man.

The woman asked him to leave – but he refused, sitting on the sofa.

His victim tried to make him move – which is when he then launched the brutal attack, smashing her head against the table, an aquarium and other furniture.

The assault left the woman thinking she was going to be killed – and was only stopped when her teenage son kicked Youthed in the head.

Neighbours called 999 after hearing the victim screaming during the attack – and she was described as looking like something out of a horror film by neighbours when she left the house, because of the bruising she had suffered.

When he was arrested, Youthed made racially offensive comments to a police officer.

Today (Friday) he sat head bowed in the dock has he was jailed for ten years by Judge Sean Enright.

Judge Enright said it was a ‘sustained assault’ lasting several minutes, and said: “Her breath was being squeezed out of chest and she thought she was going to die.

“There was sustained bruising and some bleeding. Part of her hair had been torn out.”

The court also heard how he had also attacked a previous partner a number of years ago.

Youthed was charged with attempted murder and wounding with intent, and denied both charges. He was convicted of wounding with intent but cleared of the more serious charge at a trial earlier this year.

He was also convicted of making threats to kill, and causing racially aggravated alarm or distress.

In a statement read to the court, the victim said three months after the attack she had only left the house twice, and described herself as a ‘recluse’ because she felt she could not trust anyone anymore.

She said: “I truly felt he was going to kill me that night. I want him to be punished.”

Emma Rance, defending, said Youthed had shown remorse. She said: “He says if there was any way he could make amends, he would.

“He clearly needs some help, and hopes to get that in custody.”

DC Tania Weston said: “This was an horrific attack, which was only stopped because the victim’s son showed incredible bravery.

“I hope this prison sentence brings the victim some closure and helps her to move on with her life as best she can.

“I also want to thank her and all the other witnesses for having the strength to give evidence during the course of the trial.”

Youthed was given an eight year sentence for wounding with intent, two years for making threats to kill, to be served consecutively, and four months for causing racially aggravated alarm or distress, to be served concurrently.

Peterborough Today

Christopher Smethurst repeatedly knifed the taxi driver after launching a ‘vicious, frenzied and entirely unprovoked attack’

A violent thug high on a cocktail of cocaine, ecstasy, cannabis and whisky repeatedly knifed a taxi driver in a random attack after finding out his girlfriend had ‘slept with his neighbour’.

Christopher Smethurst, 32, screamed ‘die, die, die’ as he stabbed his victim in the face and body after he had been taken to an address in Moss Side.

The career criminal claimed he was upset as he had just found out his girlfriend had slept with his neighbour.

But a judge slammed the ‘vicious, frenzied and entirely unprovoked attack’ and jailed Smethhurst for 19 years and four months.

His victim, a 42-year-old driver working for Street Cars, had picked him up from outside Chico’s takeaway in Longsight and had appeared to be chatty and friendly during the journey to an address in Ruskin Avenue in Moss Side on November 11 last year.

The private hire driver told him the fare of £5.20, but there was no reply and when he turned around Smethurst lunged at him with a kitchen knife – which was five or six inches long – prosecutor David Temkin told Manchester’s Minshull Street Crown Court.

Smethurst shouted ‘die, die, die’ as he repeatedly stabbed his victim in the neck.

The taxi driver tried in vain to wrestle the knife from his attacker, suffering more stab wounds to his hands, before Smethurst pulled at the driver’s seat-belt, pinning him against the back rest, and continued to knife his victim in the face.

The driver, who was bleeding heavily, managed to escape, but Smethurst got out and continued the sickening attack in the street.

The desperate cabbie ran barefoot down the street – after his shoes came off during the assault – knocking on doors and begging for help.

Eventually, one resident took him in and dialled 999 as Smethurst.

Police found blood all over the inside and on the outside of the car. The victim was taken to Manchester Royal Infirmary where he was treated for ten serious stab wounds to his hands, arms, chest and head.

He was left with a fractured eye-socket and needed plastic surgery to repair the stab wounds and damage to nerves and tendons.

“I thought I was going to be killed,” the driver later told the police, describing how the attack had caused significant psychological and physical damage.

Smethurst was arrested ten days later in Crewe where he had intended to rob shop with a toy gun he had spray-painted black.

Hand-written notes were found in his bag one of which read: “Nothing to lose anymore. Empty the cash in the bag. I have a 9mm Glock.”

His DNA was found in a bag which he had left at the takeaway in Longsight which, together with CCTV and evidence from the driver, linked him to the assault.

Smethurst was said to have a series of criminal convictions, including one for battery.

Jonathan Turner, defending, said his client had expressed ‘genuine remorse’ in letters he had sent both to the judge and his victim.

The barrister said his client ‘had no idea’ why he had launched the attack, but said it had followed an argument he had had with his girlfriend, in which he discovered she had ‘slept with a neighbour’.

The defendant had consumed ‘a large quantity of drink and drugs’ and had ‘simply lost his mind’, said Mr Turner.

“He knows that is absolutely no excuse for the way he behaved that day,” he added.

Judge John Potter told Smethurst he was considered so dangerous he must serve a minimum two-thirds of the 19 years and four months jail sentence.

Smethurst, of no fixed abode, but originally from Crewe, pleaded guilty to wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm with intent and possessing an imitation firearm.

Manchester Evening News

Michael Sancaster sank his teeth into the face of a 24-year-old man in Newcastle city centre during an altercation

Michael Sancaster who bit off part of a man's eyebrow in a city centre attack (Image: Northumbria Police)

Michael Sancaster who bit off part of a man’s eyebrow in a city centre attack (Image: Northumbria Police)

These are the horrific injuries a man suffered when a thug bit off part of his eyebrow in a city centre attack outside a takeaway.

Violent Michael Sancaster, 33, was drinking alone at the Eazy Street bar but was thrown out after he began to bother a woman on a hen party.

He decided to go to the Magic Flame takeaway following the incident where he then got into an argument with a 24-year-old man.

Sancaster became involved in a physical altercation but was thrown out by takeaway staff before the situation escalated.

However, he lay in wait for his victim outside the takeaway and 20 minutes later approached him to offer a reconciliatory handshake.

The man went to shake his hand only for Sancaster to shout “kidding”, before punching the man in the face and wrestling him to the ground.

A court heard how a fight then ensued during which the violent thug sunk his teeth into the eyebrow of his victim and ripped out a chunk of it.

 The injury inflicted by Michael Sancaster when he bit part of a man's eyebrow in a city centre attack (Image: NCJ Media)

The injury inflicted by Michael Sancaster when he bit part of a man’s eyebrow in a city centre attack (Image: NCJ Media)

Friends of the victim flagged down a passing police car who quickly attended the scene and Sancaster, of Marshall Street, Sunderland, was arrested.

His shocked victim was left with blood pouring from the gaping three-inch wound that required stitches in hospital.

Sancaster later admitted wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and he was jailed for 40 months at Newcastle Crown Court.

Following the case, investigating officer Detective Constable Matt Murray branded Sancaster a “dangerous offender” who deserved to spend time behind bars.

He said: “Michael Sancaster had found himself alone in a bar in the hours before the attack and in my opinion was looking for a fight.

“He had been thrown out of a bar for bothering a hen party and was angry when he made his way to the Magic Flame takeaway.

“There he came upon his victim and his group of friends. He tried to start a fight but they were not interested in engaging with him.

“Instead he waited outside the takeaway and sucker-punched his victim at the same time as they were trying to make peace.

“This was an unprovoked attack that ended up with Sancaster tearing out a piece of his victim’s eyebrow with his teeth.

“It is a violent assault by someone that I would describe as a dangerous offender.

“I am glad to see him handed a lengthy custodial sentence.”

Newcastle Chronicle

A Sheffield man who shot a teenager, leaving 50 lead pellets embedded in his body, has been jailed for six years.

Nathan Marples, aged 25, of Wordsworth Avenue, Parson Cross, appeared at Sheffield Crown Court today, for sentencing in relation to an incident at a garage in Sheffield on Friday, July 22.

At about 11.30pm that evening, the victim, a 19-year-old man, was at the Esso garage in Wordsworth Avenue when Marples approached him, firing a gun in his direction.

The victim received minor pellet wounds to his arm and stomach as a result of the incident.

Marples was arrested shortly after and subsequently charged. He pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and possession of a firearm with intent to cause fear of violence.

Marples was sentenced to six years for grievous bodily harm and three years for the firearms offence, to run alongside each other. He was also made subject to a Criminal Behaviour Order.

Acting Detective Inspector John Yoxall, the investigating officer, said: “Marples knew the victim, who was fortunate enough not to suffer any serious injuries, and carried out a despicable, deliberate attack on him.

“South Yorkshire Police will actively pursue and seek out anyone illegally carrying or using a firearm. You will be arrested, and you will be brought to justice.

“Gun crime will not be tolerated across South Yorkshire and through intelligence led operations we have already apprehended a number of people found to have been in possession of a firearm.

“If you have concerns, or information about anyone thought to be in possession of a firearm, call us or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.”

Sheffield Star

nm

A thug whose girlfriend forgave him after he stabbed her repeatedly with a 12in sword has failed to persuade top judges to cut his sentence.

Paul Hutchinson, of Hereford Road, Hillview, Sunderland, left the woman with a fractured rib and 14 stab wounds in total to her chest, legs, arms and neck from the attack.
The 48-year-old was jailed for nine years at Newcastle Crown Court after being found guilty of wounding with intent in May.

His victim gave evidence in his trial and asked the judge not to lock him up.

She also wrote to the Court of Appeal, supporting his bid to have his sentence reduced.

Judge Jeremy Carey QC told the court she wrote she “doesn’t consider herself a victim” – and even suggested she was partly to blame for the incident.

But the judge said that, despite what his partner now says, at the time of the incident she was in fear and “vulnerable” – having been subjected to an hour-long ordeal.

He said judges are familiar with cases of domestic violence involving victims who wish to “forgive and start again”.

The court heard police arrived at the woman’s home during the early hours of November 30 last year and found her screaming, covered in blood and holding a tea-towel to her neck.

She told an officer in the back of an ambulance Hutchinson had attacked after drinking heavily.

She described being dragged by her hair, punched and kicked and then stabbed again and again.

Hutchinson had two earlier convictions for violence towards previous partners.

He was aggressive when arrested and told a female police officer he would “get her raped” if she didn’t let him out of the van.

The crown court heard he was hardworking and a supportive family man, who should have received a shorter jail term.

Dismissing his appeal, Judge Carey said the sentence was “not excessive” for the “sustained assault”.

Sitting with Lord Justice Treacy and Mr Justice Haddon-Cave, he added: “In our view, the judge was right not to regard the views of the victim as anything more than part of a narrative in this case.

“Trial counsel was able to say she did not come across as vulnerable at trial – indeed, quite the opposite.

“But the fact of the matter is that, whatever her demeanour at trial, on the night in question she was, in this court’s view, undoubtedly highly vulnerable.”

Sunderland Echo

ph1

A man stabbed to the neck received life-threatening injuries following scenes in a North Wales village which were today compared to television’s “Shameless” programme.

David Craig Burnie, was jailed for five and a half years.

David Craig Burnie, was jailed for five and a half years.

A man stabbed to the neck received life-threatening injuries following scenes in a North Wales village which were today compared to television’s “Shameless” programme.

Victim Wayne Reginald Hodrien suffered two tears to the jugular vein in the left side of his neck.

The knifeman, David Craig Burnie, was today jailed for five and a half years.

He admitted wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm after an earlier charge of attempted murder was dropped.

Mold Crown Court heard that all parties were under the influence of something and it would never be known precisely what sparked off the violence on the Plas Madoc Estate at Acrefair outside Acrefair, one evening last August.

But following a confrontation at Alwen on the estate, Burnie, 23, went into his home, re-emerged with a knife, and later claimed it was to simply frighten off those who had gathered outside the house.

However, during a fight with Mr Hodrien, Burnie stabbed him to the neck.

In court, it was claimed by defending barrister Robert Parry-Jones that but for the seriousness of the injury the scene would fit into the Channel Four programme “Shameless”.

He said: “It was an appalling situation that occurred that day.”

Judge Niclas Parry told Burnie: “It could have been murder.”

The judge said that once again a person had taken a knife out onto the streets of North Wales to resolve a violent confrontation.

“Once again, a loss of life could have occurred in North Wales because of knife-crime,” he said.

Burnie, he said, had a knife when he was out of control of his senses because of drink.

There had already been a violent confrontation, the defendant did fear for his own personal safety but he could have remained in the house where he had retreated.

“But you chose to come out having collected a knife,” Judge Parry told him.

Outside the violence escalated, the knife was “inevitable used”.

“You used it to stab your victim in the neck. It was life threatening at the time.”

The defendant, he said, had previous convictions for an offensive weapon, two assaults and making a threat to kill.

The judge said that he accepted there was an element of provocation. The greatest mitigation was his guilty plea.

The court heard how the incident happened after the defendant and his girlfriend Claire Hiscock – who had since died – had been to register the birth of their baby.

They spent some time drinking in Wrexham and then returned on the bus to Acrefair.

It was a confused picture about what then took place but Wyn Lloyd Jones prosecuting, said that there appeared to be a number of people in the street, angry about various issues, who appeared drunk or under the influence of something.

The defendant had been involved in a confrontation, went into his house, got the knife, returned outside and was involved in a fight with Mr Hodrien. It was then that he lunged at him with the knife and stabbed him to the left side of his neck.

Mr Hodrien did not want to involve the police, initially said that he had fallen, he was taken to hospital where the wound was cleaned and he discharged himself against medical advice.

But police later returned him to the hospital where he underwent emergency surgery to the stab wound which involved two tears of the left jugular. The experience had left him suffering nightmares, sleepless nights, anxiety and he had lost confidence.

Burnie initially claimed that he had been defending himself but in his basis of plea said that at the time his belief was that he and his girlfriend were about to be attacked. He picked up the knife to frighten off those who came to his house, not to use it. But he accepted that the knife was used after blows were exchanged.

Robert Parry-Jones, defending, said: “We will never really know what happened.” Everyone was affected by something, whether drugs or alcohol.

Burnie did not go out looking for trouble, he did not start it, he did not go out to cause an injury. His perception was that those on the estate did not like him and did not like his girlfriend.

“She is now unfortunately deceased. She took her life. He is devastated about that,” Mr Parry-Jones said.

The defendant had made a serious attempt at his own life since the incident.

That night a group of people gathered outside his home and after what had occurred he knew it was not “for a cosy chat”.

The barrister said: “No one comes out of this with any credit at all. Burnie did not start it, he reacted, and he very much regrets the way that he did react.”

Daily Post

DB

DB2

DB3

DB4

Gareth Devlin

An EDL supporter has been jailed for five years today after being found guilty of attacking a man with a samurai sword.

Gareth Devlin from Port Clarence, Teeside attacked a group of Polish nationals who were watching the World Cup in July. During the attack, Devlin threatened to kill all Polish people.

The horrific attack was caught on camera by an amateur photographer who handed the evidence to police.

The Teeside racist can be seen waving the sword at the group of Poles which sadly included a group of children.

He then attacked one of the men causing a wound to the man’s back that required five stiches.

Devlin,28 admitted wounding with intent, affray and possession of an offensive weapon.

Another man, Joseph Smithson also admitted affray. He was given a two-year community order with 120 hours’ unpaid work and a year’s supervision.

Gareth Devlin is no stranger to crime, having 40 previous offences on his lengthy criminal record, including four for violence.He was sent to a young offenders’ institution in 2007 for having a home-made machete in a public place.

Hope not Hate