Archive

Tag Archives: assault

A 23-year-old man from Clitheroe has been given an extended sentence of 14 years following “a brutal attack” on a “vulnerable defenceless man”.

Joseph Ingham, of Beech Street, appeared at Preston Crown Court today where he pleaded guilty to section 18 assault.

He was given an extended sentence of 14 years – 10 years in prison and four years on licence.

The serious assault dates back to Friday, December 8th, when officers were called by the ambulance service at around 5-40am to reports that a man had been found with serious injuries on Greenacre Street.

A review of CCTV revealed a prolonged unprovoked attack on the victim, by a male offender, later identified as Ingham.

Ingham was arrested by police and later charged.

The 65-year-old victim was taken by ambulance to the Royal Preston Hospital. He suffered a number of serious injuries including a fractured skull.

Insp Tim McDermott, of Burnley CID, said: “This was a brutal attack perpetrated upon a vulnerable defenceless man and sadly left him with serious injuries. He spent a number of weeks in hospital and has been left with injuries which will severely impact his quality of life.

“I would like to extend my thanks to members of the public who came forward with information following our initial appeal. Their support undoubtedly helped us to achieve this sentence.”

The family of the victim said: “This Christmas hasn’t been an enjoyable time for us all and we are happy to see the back of 2017. We are solely concentrating on getting him better. It’s a long road but we will get there. We hope the man who did this realises the impact and devastation he has caused.

“We are pleased with the speed at which this has been concluded and also the support we have received from the police throughout. We are also really happy with the sentence given today.”

Clitheroe Advertiser

Golding appeared at Sevenoaks Magistrates’ Court after admitting assault by beating

Paul Golding pictured outside Sevenoaks Magistrates' Court

Paul Golding pictured outside Sevenoaks Magistrates’ Court

The leader of Britain First has been sentenced for assaulting a martial arts instructor.

Paul Golding, of Beeches Close, Penge, South London, attacked Dean Williams in a Maidstone nightclub during the early hours of July 9.

He admitted a charge of assault by beating when he appeared at Sevenoaks Magistrates’ Court on October 17.

And today (Tuesday) he was given a 120 day suspended prison sentence and ordered to carry out 200 hours of unpaid community work.

Golding was also told to pay £750 compensation to his victim, pay a £115 victim surcharge and another £85 in court costs.

Summing up, magistrate Alan Austen described it as “a really nasty and vicious assault in a public place”.

The court had previously heard Golding and Mr Williams, a mixed martial arts expert, had originally met in Derbyshire.

Golding later invited him to a self defence course in Erith and the pair, along with others, had gone out for a meal.

Later that evening Mr Williams said Golding “became very aggressive, drew his head back slightly and headbutted me in the face”.

The victim said he had suffered whiplash, chipped teeth and swelling and bruising to his nose.

“I attended my doctor’s surgery and am very shocked at the incident,” he added.

Defending, Golding’s lawyer said there was CCTV of the incident which showed there had been a degree provocation.

He said: “At the bar where they both were Mr Golding put his arm round the victim’s shoulder in a friendly, amicable way.

“The victim took exception to that and threw his arm off his shoulder.

“And Mr Golding walked away not just once, but twice.”

Golding, 35, is facing three charges of religiously aggravated harassment in relation to the trial of a gang of men who raped a teenager above a Ramsgate takeaway.

He is set for a three day trial next month, alongside deputy Britain First leader Jayda Fransen.

Kent Live

Josh Ingram made a post on Facebook from Grimsby Crown Court where he was sentenced for threatening to kill a young woman and her son

Joshua Ingram leaves Grimsby Crown Court minutes after a taunting post, inset, appeared on his Facebook page (Image: Grimsby Telegraph)

Joshua Ingram leaves Grimsby Crown Court minutes after a taunting post, inset, appeared on his Facebook page (Image: Grimsby Telegraph)


A grinning thug from Grimsby posted a sick Facebook post as he sat in court waiting to be sentenced for assaulting a woman and threatening to throw her terrified toddler out of a window.

Josh Ingram, 18, of Gilbey Road, joked and larked about with his supporters outside Grimsby Crown Court after he escaped jail, despite admitting charges of making threats to kill, assault and causing criminal damage.

But moments earlier, while still in court, Ingram made an abusive post on his Facebook page which appeared to be directed at his victim.

Writing a status update at 12.48pm from the court building, Ingram wrote: “Hahaha what a trampy liarr, still laughinggg like alwaysss (sic).”

Swaggering Ingram, described by his own solicitor as a “stupid young man”, walked free from court at 1.10pm after being given a suspended prison sentence and a life ban from contacting his victims.

A woman who appeared to be a relative later replied to his status, posting: “Bit daft writing this don’t you think?

The court was told how Ingram had shoved the toddler’s head into a wall, put a knife against his mum’s face and tried to smother her with a pillow during the terrifying ordeal on May 7, in which he told them both they would die.

During the court case, Craig Lowe, prosecuting, told Grimsby Crown Court that Ingram was at the home of his ex-girlfriend when his mood changed and he became very “nasty” towards her very young son.

He shoved the toddler’s head against a wall, causing him to scream, and told the woman: “You watch. I’m going to go mad.”

Ingram “smashed up stuff” and threw the boy’s rocking horse across the room. The boy was screaming and shaking.

ngram told the woman: “I’m going to throw him down the stairs. I’m going to throw him out of the window.”

The teenager later grabbed a knife and looked “so angry” before shouting: “I’m going to kill you both. You’re both going to die.”

Ingram put the knife to the woman’s face and told the boy: “I’m going to kill you.”

In mitigation Richard Hackfath, said Ingram was completely ill-equipped to deal with the responsibilities of his first proper relationship.

“He accepts his behaviour was completely beyond the pale,” said Mr Hackfath.

“It was terrible behaviour. This is a stupid young man who has behaved appallingly badly.”

Ingram was given a two-year suspended custodial sentence, 150 hours’ unpaid work, a three-month curfew, two years of supervision and 30 days’ rehabilitation.

He was also given a lifelong restraining order banning him from contacting the mother and her son.

Grimsby Telegraph

Andrew Jenkinson hurled racist slurs and described black people as “monkeys” before he attacked Dominic O’Hara in Edinburgh.

SDL supporter Andrew Jenkinson lashed out at an anti-racist campaigner (Image: LESLEY DONALD/SWNS)

SDL supporter Andrew Jenkinson lashed out at an anti-racist campaigner (Image: LESLEY DONALD/SWNS)

A Scottish Defence League supporter has been found guilty of hurling racist abuse and assaulting an anti-fascist activist handing out leaflets at a Fight Racism stall near The Mosque Kitchen in Edinburgh.

Andrew Jenkinson, 41, of Edinburgh, was told by a Sheriff that his actions had been “deeply offensive and an unprovoked attack on freedom of speech”.

He was found guilty at the city’s Sheriff Court today of behaving in a threatening or abusive manner, shouting, swearing and making and uttering grossly offensive remarks and gestures in Nicolson Street on September 21 last year.

He was also found guilty of assaulting Dominic O’Hara, 27, by kicking him on the body and punching him on the head.

O’Hara was at the stall with friends handing out leaflets when Jenkinson approached in a aggressive manner and described black people as “monkeys”.

“He said he didn’t like our literature and banners and was really het up” said O’Hara. “It looked as though he was going to headbutt me and asked me ‘to come round the corner’.

“Obviously he wanted to fight, but didn’t want it on the public street”.

According to O’Hara, Jenkinson was shouting about the SDL saying: “We will hunt people like you down. You love Islamists”.

O’Hara said a woman tried to reason with Jenkinson, but he called her “a pig”. Sheriff O’Grady asked if the woman was white or black and was told she was black.

 The Scottish Defence League protesting in Edinburgh in June (Image: SWNS)

The Scottish Defence League protesting in Edinburgh in June (Image: SWNS)

O’Hara said he stepped between Jenkinson and the woman, with his back to Jenkinson, to try and defuse the situation. He was then kicked on the ankle and when he turned round was punched three times on the face. He then tripped Jenkinson up and they fell to the ground.

When they separated, he said, Jenkinson walked off “expressing fascist views and making the Nazi salute”.

Questioned by Jenkinson’s defence lawyer, Elaine Clancy, O’Hara admitted he had previous convictions for obstruction, during a student protest, breach of the peace with a loudspeaker and assault.

He denied he had “a vendetta against Mr Jenkinson”.

Twenty-nine year old Ruby Barrowman, who had been at the stall with O’Hara, said Jenkinson had told the South African black woman, who was with her daughter, to “Go home”.

He called her and O’Hara “Anti-white racists” and shouted about the SDL. Asked what the SDL was, she replied: “They are fascists”.

Jenkinson said he had dropped his father off at Surgeon’s Hall and had gone to get money from a cash machine. The “Fight Racism” stall was near the machine, he said, and displayed flags, banners and collection tins.

He said he asked if they had a licence from the Council to do this. He admitted to having “a heated debate” with the South African woman with the young girl. Things escalated, he said, when he was called a “Nazi” and “fascist”.

He told them this was Great Britain and he was “a proud patriot of my country”.

He admitted pushing O’Hara, but denied any punching and claimed O’Hara had gouged his eye. He said he had never given a Nazi salute or said anything about Islamists.

He told Fiscal Depute, Claire Crompton, the Fight Racism campaigners were “anti-British, pro-IRA and Revolutionary Communists”.

He denied being a racist, saying a Chinese friend of his had committed suicide because of racist abuse.

He told Sheriff O’Grady that shortly after the incident, pictures of himself and his children had been posted online and that it was claimed he was a member of the SDL.

He denied this but admitted: “It’s possible it may have mentioned I had been at some demos”.

Finding Jenkinson guilty , Sheriff O’Grady told him he regarded the evidence of O’Hara and Barrowman as credible and reliable and had no hesitation in accepting it, and had no hesitation in finding him guilty”.

Sentence was deferred until next month for a background report.

Daily Record


A serial criminal who launched a foul-mouthed racist attack on a woman wearing an Islamic head garment has been locked up for more than a year.

Peter Scotter’s barrister insisted it was no co-incidence that his client committed the offences just weeks after the Brexit referendum last year and amid continued political discussions

“playing the race card”.

Scotter, 56, of Beach Street, Roker, Sunderland, assaulted the mother, who was shopping with her nine-year-old son and husband, and said “you are in our country now” before beginning his tirade of racial abuse.

The force he then used to pull off the niqab garment in July last year in the Bridges Shopping Centre, Sunderland, caused her to fall to the floor.

Tony Hawks, defending, told Newcastle Crown Court that in the weeks leading up to the attack certain politicians and sections of the press had been “playing the race card”.

He said there was “no doubt that what he did was an ignorant and despicable piece of behaviour” and he was an “ignorant and ill-educated man” who “knows nothing whatsoever about Islam”.

But he added: “It’s no coincidence that this occurred within a week or so of the Brexit referendum. Where the press and politicians were banging the drum about taking our country back.

“They were playing the race card and, in the case of Ukip, a disgraceful advertisement showing a queue of refugees.

“He has to take responsibility for his own actions, but is it simply a coincidence that after listening to weeks of that rhetoric the defendant was not affected?”

Prosecutor Neil Pallister told the court that Scotter was escorted out of the centre by a security guard after the assault but refused to comply with two police community support officers and continued the torrent of abuse.

At a previous hearing he admitted racially aggravated assault by beating and racially aggravated harassment.

He has also been receiving treatment for cancer in his mouth, meaning Monday’s sentencing hearing was postponed a number of times.

The court heard he had 70 previous convictions, including throwing bricks with racist stickers on them at a house with refugees inside.

Mr Pallister said the victim described how she regularly suffers abuse but that this was way beyond what she and her family normally endured.

She said it had left her fearful to go out and “disgusted” that it had happened in front of her son.

Members of the public who ran to her help spoke of their shock and one shop assistant said she was moved to tears.

Jailing Scotter for 15 months, Judge Stephen Earl said he had used “appalling language” in a public place.

He said: “Comments such as these cannot be acceptable in a civilised society.”

He also ordered him to pay a victim surcharge of £140.

Sunderland Echo

A man who pulled a niqab off a woman’s face and called her a “stupid” Muslim has been jailed for 15 months.

Peter Scotter shouted “You are in our country now” when he attacked his victim, who was with her young son, at a Sunderland shopping centre last July.

The 56-year-old, of Beach Street, Roker, had admitted racially aggravated assault by beating and racially aggravated harassment.

He was sentenced at Newcastle Crown Court.

The judge said it was “appalling abusive behaviour grounded in religious bigotry”.

At an earlier hearing, the court was told the victim, 29, was standing outside the Bridges shopping centre when Scotter grabbed her veil and almost threw her to the ground.

After his arrest, he said: “She could have been a bomber.”

His victim was left feeling as if she could not go out, prosecutor Laura Lax said.

Tony Hawks, defending, said Scotter had recently been diagnosed with a cancerous tumour under his tongue and was due to undergo surgery.

He had 66 previous convictions, including actual bodily harm and racially aggravated criminal damage.
BBC News

A street assault victim found her attacker sound asleep in her bed when she returned home after the violence.

The woman was battered and bruised, with a shoeprint on her face, after a beating in the street by Jordan Stacey.

Newcastle Crown Court heard when the injured mum realised the 24-year-old was asleep in her bed and could not be woken, she locked him in the house and the police were contacted.

Prosecutor Paul Rowland told the court the victim had been in a previous relationship with Stacey, which had broken up a year before the attack on May 8.

Mr Rowland said the former couple had been on the same night out in Ashington where they had kissed and spent time together.

During the evening, the victim began to suspect Stacey had taken her telephone and a bunch of keys, which sparked violence when she confronted him.

The court heard during an initial attack Stacey knocked his victim unconscious with a blow.

When she came to and asked him for her belongings, the violence flared again.

Mr Rowland said: “He punched her with fists, knocked her to the floor and while on the floor she was kicked and stamped on, numerous times.”

The court heard Stacey ran off from the attack, which happened near a pizza shop and the injured victim eventually made her way home.

Mr Rowland added: “She found her front door open. She found her keys and her mobile phone on the table and the defendant was upstairs in bed, asleep.

“She tried to rouse him to get him out of the house.

“He could not be roused therefore she left and locked the defendant in the house.”

The court heard the victim went to her mother’s house and the police were contacted.

Stacey, of Villette Path, Hendon, Sunderland, was arrested and pleaded guilty to assault.

Stacey, who was on a suspended sentence and a conditional discharge at the time, pleaded guilty to assault.

He has previous convictions for domestic violence.

Judge Penny Moreland jailed him for 22 months.

The judge told him: “I have seen photographs of the injuries, abrasions to her face and a clear shoe mark plus two black eyes.

“It was a sustained attack.

“It seems you had taken her keys and phone from her.

“You used her keys to get back into her house, where you went to bed.”

Jamie Adams, defending, said Stacey accepts his behaviour was wrong and he has been taking positive steps while in custody.

Mr Adams said Stacey has an employment history and is “not without intelligence”.
Sunderland Echo