Archive

Racist Abuse

A judge has jailed a racist who insulted a bus driver and a security guard.

Lewis Nigel Foulds, who was told his “disgraceful” views would not be tolerated in Leicester, began shouting and swearing at Judge Simon Hammond as he was sentenced to 16 months in prison.

The 21-year-old, who appeared via a live television link between Leicester Crown Court and Leicester Prison, had to be restrained by guards and removed from the video-link room.

Sentencing, Judge Hammond said: “Leicester is a multi-cultural society and people in Leicester are proud of that and work hard to promote it. There’s no place in British society for people like this defendant, who holds disgraceful, disgusting views and adopts disgraceful conduct.

“People are entitled to go about their business without having racial insults thrown at them.

“People who have racist views, and behave in a racist manner and insult people with their racist views, must expect custody.”

Foulds, formerly of Hazeldine Road, Hamilton, Leicester,

told the judge: “You’re just making me worse.”

After his outburst, Judge Hammond said to the court: “We have just seen him storm out of the prison video-link room. He came back in and was abusive and swore. He was violent and was removed.”

The court heard that at 1pm on March 25, Foulds was on a bus in Keyham Lane, Leicester, which was being driven by a Sikh driver.

There were two female passengers on the bus.

Foulds told the women: “I bet the driver eats pork.”

He began to chant racist comments, claiming Muslim people were paedophiles, and also announced: “I’m a racist and a fascist and proud of it.”

Neither woman was Muslim and they were not wearing veils, prosecutor Michael Waterfield told the court. The driver ordered Foulds off the bus.

Foulds then picked up £2.14 in change from the driver’s tray and threw it, or dropped it, before getting off.

In a second incident, at 10.30pm on April 30, Foulds confronted an Asian security guard outside a Sainsbury’s store in Narborough Road, again hurling abusive and racist remarks.

When prevented from entering the shop, he challenged the guard to a fight and took up a boxing stance, before leaving.

Michael Garvey, mitigating, said: “He has an alcohol problem, which forms the background to his offending. When sober he’s a pleasant, shy individual.”

He said Foulds’ mind had been “polluted” by various racist groups.

“He doesn’t have any direct contact with them (the groups) any more but his friends do and he still sees those people,” said Mr Garvey. “It’s the Islamic faith that seems to be the target for his bile.”

He said Foulds has an attention deficit disorder and was “on the autistic spectrum”.

Foulds pleaded guilty to two offences of racially-aggravated threatening behaviour and theft of £2.14 from the bus.

The court heard he had three convictions for racially-aggravated threatening behaviour.

Leicester Mercury

Lewis Foulds is the EDL supporter with the red dot above his head

Lewis Foulds is the EDL supporter with the red dot above his head

A gang launched a “completely and utterly disgraceful” racist attack on staff at a Cambridge restaurant in the wake of the Lee Rigby murder.

Mai Thai restaurant, Hobbs Pavilion, Park Terrace, Cambridge: Picture Keith Heppell

Mai Thai restaurant, Hobbs Pavilion, Park Terrace, Cambridge: Picture Keith Heppell

The five friends – three of whom have been locked up – chased and assaulted staff, threw glass bottles and bins and hurled racial abuse outside the Mai Thai restaurant by Parker’s Piece as they chanted “EDL”.

They goaded two brothers into coming outside before attacking them while shouting racist abuse on June 6 last year, a few days after the brutal murder of Fusilier Rigby in Woolwich.

The manager of the restaurant, who did not want to be named, told the News after the Cambridge Crown Court sentencing they attacked Muslim and Thai workers – and then turned on some of the 20 or so police officers who arrived on the scene.

He said: “It was very nasty. They attacked staff for no reason who were trying to get on with their work and shouted racial abuse, which was completely and utterly disgraceful.

“I’m glad they have been given these sentences. These are thugs who have got nothing better to do and hopefully this will teach them a lesson that it’s not something they can get away with.”

Marti Blair, prosecuting, said the offence started when one of the group tapped on the window of the restaurant and made aggressive gestures to staff as they were clearing up.

She said: “A member of staff thought it could be some sort of hate race incident and he called police, which was reasonable given the Lee Rigby killing had only just taken place a couple of weeks earlier and there had followed a number of race hate attacks at that time.”

She described how some of the gang started pushing two members of staff, leaving the brothers with damaged ribs and ripped shirts.

They then threw glass bottles and bins at the door while chanting the far right group’s name and demanding they “go home”.

She said: “All of the witnesses describe how the group were chanting EDL and saying things like ‘go back to your country’.”

Joshua Collinson-Prime, 19, formerly of Victoria Road, Arbury, William Jacey, 21, of Brampton Road, Royston, and a 17-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, all admitted violent disorder.

Leon Jackson, 24, and Daniel Mooney, 20, both of Gonville Place, Trumpington, pleaded guilty to a lesser charge of racially aggravated threatening behaviour.

Jacey was jailed for a year, Collinson-Prime was sent to a youth offenders’ institution for a year and the youth was given a one-year detention and training order.

Jackson and Mooney were each given eight-month jail sentences suspended for two years and must do 200 hours of unpaid work. The young group have nearly 40 previous convictions between them.

Judge Gareth Hawkesworth, sentencing at Cambridge Crown Court, described it as a “thoroughly unpleasant racist attack” and added: “It will simply not be tolerated.”

One of the victims said in a statement read out in court that he was still scared for his safety.

He said: “These people know where I work and clearly have an issue with me and the colour of my skin and this is not an issue that is going to go away.”

Cambridge News

AN ENGLISH Defence League demonstrator has lost an appeal against a conviction for shouting racist abuse at a rally in Farnworth last year.

John Banks was among the EDL supporters who congregated at Farnworth Park on August 26 last year where there was also a counter demonstration staged by Unite Against Facism.

Within seconds of getting off a coach at the park, Banks was arrested for shouting a racist remark.

He was later found guilty of using racist threatening or abusive words or behaviour in a trial at Bolton Magistrates Court on November 26 and yesterday, at Bolton Crown Court, he appealed against the conviction.

Banks, aged 55, of Adwick Lane, Toll Bar, Doncaster, arrived at court dressed in a T-shirt bearing the slogan “Gay Rights in Islam”.

Recorder Abigail Hudson and two magistrates hearing the appeal had to halt the proceedings three times after Banks tried to use it as a stage for his political beliefs instead of concentrating on the facts of the case.

The police officers who arrested Banks said that Banks arrived in the park carrying a loudhailer and behaving “loudly”.

A man was seen holding up a flag with an Islamic symbol on it and the court heard Banks shouted a racist remark towards the person carrying it as he was arrested.

Banks, who boasted that he had been arrested in several towns around the country, told the court: “If someone comes to an EDL demonstration they are not going to watch Bambi.”

Recorder Hudson told Banks the case against him had been proved and his appeal was dismissed.

Bolton News

A man has been warned he could face jail for posting a Facebook comment about burning down a mosque in the wake of Lee Rigby’s murder.

Derek Phin, 46, appeared at Aberdeen Sheriff Court on Friday where he pleaded guilty to posting the threatening and abusive remark on the social network last June.

British soldier Lee Rigby was off duty in southeast London when he was attacked and killed on May 22 last year.

Radical groups then tried to exploit the soldier’s murder resulting in attacks and protests against the UK’s muslim community.

Phin, of Aberdeen, admitted posting on Facebook that Edinburgh Central Mosque should be burnt down on July 2 during a counter demo.

The mosque was due to be packed at the time for a meeting organised by pressure group Unite Against Fascism in response to extreme right wing protests.

Fiscal depute David Bernard told the court that police had been tipped off to Phin’s comment which he put online on June 30.

He said: “On July 13 police received information that a comment of a racially motivated nature and thought to incite racial hatred had been posted on Facebook social network site on a page pertaining to the Scottish Defence League.

“One of the comments had been from a user account in the name of Derek Phin and had been posted on June 30, 2013 as part of a conversation about a Unite Against Fascism campaign to be held at an Edinburgh mosque on July 2.

“The comment attributed to Phin read ‘burn the mosque down when the meeting is ongoing’.”

Police confronted Phin at his home in Aberdeen on September 4.

He was taken to a police station where he admitted making the comment and stated he was a member of the Scottish Defence League. He was then cautioned and charged.

Defence agent David Sutherland said the mail-room worker had put the comment on Facebook as he felt that the men who committed Mr Rigby’s murder were being protected by the authorities in the aftermath of the attack.

Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale were found guilty of the fusilier’s murder at the Old Bailey on December 19.

Mr Sutherland said: “The background involves the murder of Lee Rigby.

“This was his reaction to his perception of how the authorities dealt with the murder of Lee Rigby – his reaction to how the people were protected by the authorities for what they had done.

“He accepts that it was an entirely inappropriate comment. He has not used Facebook since he appeared in court.”

Sheriff Annella Cowan deferred sentence for the preparation of reports and released Phin on bail.

She warned him: “You should not use Facebook. You should be putting your affairs in order in case you go to jail. There will be no predeterminations but it is a serious consideration.”


STV

Clayton

Clayton

Lord

Lord

TWO members of a gang who confronted a group of Asian men, racially abusing them, hurling sticks and shouting ‘EDL’ taunts, have been jailed.

Burnley Crown Court heard how in the early hours clash on Church Street in the town, bricks were wielded, a restaurant boss was attacked and a terrified girl was hit in the face and knocked to the ground by a missile thrown by one of her own group.

The violence, on September 15, was captured on CCTV.

Two of those involved Wayne Lord, 20, and Declan Clayton,19, were both sent to detention. The trouble was said to have been led by a 16-year-old, who was earlier spared custody at the lower court.

Clayton, of Chapelhouse Road, Nelson, was sent down for eight months. He had been at the forefront of the melee, had been brandishing a weapon and repeatedly surged forward.

Lord, of Sedburgh Street, Burnley, who has in past been made the subject of and flouted an anti-social behaviour order, received six months. He has three racially aggravated offences to his name and had goaded the other group. The pair had admitted affray and had been sent for sentence by Pennine magistrates.

Roger Baldwin, prosecuting, said a group of Asian males were walking home from a restaurant about 12.15am, when a gang of white youths, including three females, on the opposite side of the road, started shouting abuse.

The group challenged the men to a fight, running towards them with sticks and bricks, shouting ‘EDL’ and racially abusing them.

Mr Baldwin said Clayton and the 16-year-old were leading members, they seemed to be the main aggressors at that stage and the Asians were defending themselves. The 16-year-old had received a 12 month youth rehabilitation order.

Sentencing, Recorder Stuart Driver, QC, said he had seen the CCTV footage and it was clear the actions of the defendants’ group were mainly aggressive and the other group was mainly defensive.

Recorder Driver said: “The fact that it was a clash of people from different racial or ethnic groups is itself an aggravating feature.”

Lancashire Telegraph

A DRUNKEN woman angrily hurled racist abuse at staff in a takeaway shop – including chanting references to the far-right English Defence League.

She and a man, who was in a foul-mouthed group of troublemakers, turned on a Brazilian man who tried to intervene and they both assaulted him during an “ugly” confrontation, Grimsby magistrates heard.

Rebecca Swan, 38, of Beacon Avenue, Cleethorpes, and Christopher Drury, 23, of Corporation Road, Grimsby, admitted a racially aggravated assault on Carlos Defreiates, on July 4. Swan also admitted using racially aggravated threatening words or behaviour.

Nick Wyman, prosecuting, said Swan and Drury were among a group outside the Topkapi takeaway in High Street, Cleethorpes, in the early hours. Swan and some men were repeatedly chanting “EDL” and pointing towards people inside the shop.

Swan shouted racist abuse and was pointing her finger towards the takeaway. The chanting and abuse continued for a couple of minutes. Racist language and “EDL” were shouted again.

Swan shouted: “If you live here, you should abide by our laws”. Mr Defreiates, who is Brazilian, got involved and asked Swan and Drury why they were doing it.

The group turned on him and wrongly thought he was Polish. Swan asked him: “Where are you from? You shouldn’t be here.” She rammed her finger in to his chest several times and told him: “You are in England. You should live by my laws.”

Swan slapped him across his neck and Drury hit him in the chest with the palm of his hand, causing him to fall to the ground.

“It was an ugly incident,” said Mr Wyman.

Ghaff Khan, mitigating, said three people were involved in the abuse but one of them was not charged. Swan was very drunk and claimed she had “no idea who the EDL were”. She was not a member of the group and did not consider herself to be racist.

It was “drunken stupidity” and Swan claimed she could not remember much about the incident, said Mr Khan.

Graham Ives, representing Drury, said his client had shown remorse for his role in the “unpleasant” disturbance.

Drury claimed he “did not know what the EDL was but he does now” after looking on the internet. He merely asked Mr Defreiates “You’re Polish, are you?” and the assault was very minor.

“He’s not a political person,” said Mr Ives. “He’s not a racist. He is very sorry he got involved in this incident and blotted his copybook.”

Drury had drunk 10 to 12 cans of lager with a friend.

Mother-of-two Swan, a cleaner at a medical centre, was given a four-week, 9pm to 7am, curfew and was ordered to pay £85 costs and a Government-imposed £60 victims’ surcharge.

Unemployed Drury was given a one-year conditional discharge and was ordered to pay £85 costs and a £15 surcharge.

This is Grimsby

Lee Cousins, 40, of Soundwell, Bristol pleaded guilty to causing racially/religiously aggravated harassment or alarm following the unrest in Bristol on Saturday evening (25th May).

Cousins was amongst a group of men who had come out of the St George’s Hall public house in Church Road after initially barricading themselves in when police arrived.

Cousins then mocked a Muslim prayer ritual by getting down on his hands and knees in the road before shouting racial slurs involving Muslims and Allah. He was fined £500 and ordered to pay £85 costs plus a £15 victim surcharge.

Bristol Post

Also in connection with the disturbances in Bristol on 25th May 2013

Jason Bennett, 39, of Redfield pleaded guilty to using threatening words or behaviour and was fined £50.

Luke Selman, 23, of Horfield pleaded guilty to using threatening words or behaviour towards PC Peter Crawford and PC Karen Stenner with intent to cause fear or provoke unlawful violence and to assaulting PC Stenner in the execution of her duty, Selman was ordered to do 200 hours of unpaid work and pay £245 in costs and compensation.

Selman, who has two previous convictions, was also told to complete a 12-month community order.

Bristol Post1

Bristol Post2