A Lincoln man has been issued with a Criminal Anti-Social Behaviour Order (Crasbo), following his attendance at an English Defence League demonstration in Newcastle last year.
Shane Overton (38) of Parker Avenue, Lincoln, was granted a 10-year Crasbo at Doncaster Crown Court yesterday, Wednesday March 9, which prevents him from attending any public meeting organised by the EDL.
Overton entered a guilty plea racially aggravated public order (section 5 Public Order Act) following an incident on a train at Doncaster on May 29 last year, for which he was arrested by British Transport Police.
DC Andy Haworth from the National Domestic Extremism Unit, a national police unit who worked alongside BTP and Lincolnshire Police, said: “It is only the second time a Crasbo of this nature has been granted to individuals participating in Defence League demonstrations, and it is widely anticipated other police forces will follow suit and apply for Crasbos to stop violent individuals from subverting other wise legitimate, lawful, protests.
“While the Defence Leagues are entitled to protest, violence has been a persistent feature of their demonstrations, and on this occasion on the offence was committed while travelling from a demonstration.
“We are working to support all police forces with Crasbo applications against any individual who persistently commits criminal acts at (or travelling to and from) Defence League demonstrations, regardless of whether they profess to support the Defence League or oppose it, in order to ensure future demonstrations are peaceful and lawful.”
A/DI Simon Bromiley, from Lincolnshire Police, said: “We are extremely pleased with this result. We have worked closely with our national partners on this case and we are hopeful that utilising this kind of legislation will enable us to curb Overton’s offending and tackle racism and Islamophobia in our community in the future.”
Chief Inspector Tom Naughton of British Transport Police said, “Racist abuse of any sort is unacceptable, but the nature of Overton’s insults levelled at a family minding there own business sat on the platform were despicable.
“Everyone has the right to travel without fear of abuse or threatening behaviour, and when that behaviour is further exacerbated by racist undertones, our stance becomes firmer still.
“BTP and the wider rail industry will not tolerate any form of racism on the rail network and we welcome the Crasbo handed to Overton.”
The local CPS Criminal ASBO lead, Yvette Levy, said: “No one should be made to feel fear or concern for their safety purely because of the language they speak or the colour of their skin. Overton’s victims were subjected to racially offensive language whilst patiently waiting for their train.
“The extreme views expressed by Overton caused two children to cling to their parents in fear.
“We have worked closely with the National Domestic Extremism Unit to ensure the strongest possible case was built and that any ASBO imposed against him would truly prevent further offending and protect the public.
“Overton is now prohibited from travelling on the country’s rail system or entering any railway station which is a significant step forward for the safety of train users.”