Archive

Tag Archives: racially aggravated offence

A pensioner who told a black woman “when Brexit comes you will be gone” during an outburst in a betting shop has been fined £600.

John Keogh, 74, appeared at Croydon Magistrates’ Court and admitted committing a racially aggravated offence on August 30 2018.

In addition to the fine, he was handed a 12-month community order and told to pay costs and compensation to his victim.

John Keogh was fined £600 after telling Anneka Davis ‘when Brexit comes you will be gone’

Keogh lashed out at Anneka Davis while she was working at the Coral bookmakers in Peckham, south London, last year.

Prosecutor Jacqui Hughes said he told Davis she would be “gone” after becoming impatient while he waited for a £200 betting win to be handed over.

Hughes said: “Keogh came into the bookmakers to claim some winnings.

“He became impatient and when he was given the money, he told her, ‘When Brexit comes you will be gone’.

“She asked him what he meant by that and asked him to leave.”

Keogh also admitted calling Davis a “fucking n*****” as he left the shop, clenching his fists as he approached her at the door and causing her to “fear for her safety”.

Davis attended court to give evidence and said she was unable to work for five days after the incident because of stress.

Keogh leaving Croydon Magistrates Court on Monday

She said: “Due to the comments made by the man in question, I questioned whether I was welcome in this country as a black person.

“Due to the climate and everything that is going on with Brexit, I felt that I was questioning myself and whether I belonged.

“I was born in this country and I have lived here all my life. I can’t help that I was born black.”

Tariq Al-Mallak, defending, said there was “no explanation that could justify that behaviour” before telling the court Keogh suffers from PTSD following a car accident.

Chairman of the bench Douglas Hunter handed Keogh a community order lasting 12 months, in addition to a 10-week nightly curfew.

Hunter said: “People should be able to go to their place of work without fear of being abused in any way.

“It has had an impact on this young lady far beyond just that incident.”

Keogh was also ordered to pay £250 in compensation to Davis, costs of £350 and was banned from the Coral shop for one year.

The 74-year-old glared at Davis in the public gallery as he left court.

Keogh, of Lindsey Street, Bermondsey, admitted one count of racially aggravated public disorder.

Huff Post

Clayton

Clayton

Lord

Lord

TWO members of a gang who confronted a group of Asian men, racially abusing them, hurling sticks and shouting ‘EDL’ taunts, have been jailed.

Burnley Crown Court heard how in the early hours clash on Church Street in the town, bricks were wielded, a restaurant boss was attacked and a terrified girl was hit in the face and knocked to the ground by a missile thrown by one of her own group.

The violence, on September 15, was captured on CCTV.

Two of those involved Wayne Lord, 20, and Declan Clayton,19, were both sent to detention. The trouble was said to have been led by a 16-year-old, who was earlier spared custody at the lower court.

Clayton, of Chapelhouse Road, Nelson, was sent down for eight months. He had been at the forefront of the melee, had been brandishing a weapon and repeatedly surged forward.

Lord, of Sedburgh Street, Burnley, who has in past been made the subject of and flouted an anti-social behaviour order, received six months. He has three racially aggravated offences to his name and had goaded the other group. The pair had admitted affray and had been sent for sentence by Pennine magistrates.

Roger Baldwin, prosecuting, said a group of Asian males were walking home from a restaurant about 12.15am, when a gang of white youths, including three females, on the opposite side of the road, started shouting abuse.

The group challenged the men to a fight, running towards them with sticks and bricks, shouting ‘EDL’ and racially abusing them.

Mr Baldwin said Clayton and the 16-year-old were leading members, they seemed to be the main aggressors at that stage and the Asians were defending themselves. The 16-year-old had received a 12 month youth rehabilitation order.

Sentencing, Recorder Stuart Driver, QC, said he had seen the CCTV footage and it was clear the actions of the defendants’ group were mainly aggressive and the other group was mainly defensive.

Recorder Driver said: “The fact that it was a clash of people from different racial or ethnic groups is itself an aggravating feature.”

Lancashire Telegraph

A protester at an English Defence League march in Walsall has been given a suspended jail term and banned from any demonstrations for four years.

Peter Jelley outside Walsall Magistrates Court

Peter Jelley was caught on CCTV gesturing and shouting at a line of police in Walsall as trouble broke out at the rally last autumn. He was sentenced to 20 weeks in custody, suspended by a year, and given a Criminal Anti-Social Behaviour Order at the town’s magistrates court.

The 24-year-old from Shropshire admitted a public order offence of using threatening or abusive behaviour at a previous court hearing and was sentenced yesterday.

The footage from the afternoon of September 29 was played to District Judge Michael Morris and showed Jelley walking up to officers and ‘gesticulating and shouting.’ This was despite the efforts of a female to pull him away.

Mr Paul Nicholas, defending, said: “He has faced up to what he has done, he has faced up to being part of the march. He is shameful of what he has done.”

He insisted his client had disassociated himself from others and had become angry after a relative was hurt. The court was told Jelley has previous convictions for a racially aggravated offence in 2011 and assault the year before.

District Judge Michael Morris said: “You went there knowing what would happen. You were on the frontline facing up to police, clearly agitated and pointing to police.”

Jelley, of Prescott Close, Shrewsbury, was sentenced to five months in custody, suspended for a year.

He was also ordered to do 250 unpaid work and go to an adult attendance centre for 36 hours.

He was also ordered to pay £80 victim surcharge and £85 costs.

Express & Star