Archive

Tag Archives: racially aggravated harassment

A family were subjected to a terrifying racist attack by a gang of yobs in the west end of Newcastle as they tried to move in their furniture

Daniel McStay, jailed for racist attacks in Elswick

Daniel McStay, jailed for racist attacks in Elswick

Vile racist thugs drove an Asian family out of their new home as they tried to move in.

The Ali family pulled up outside their new house in Elswick, Newcastle, only to be greeted by a seething gang of young yobs.

Boxer Daniel McStay and five or six youths started punching and kicking their car, telling them to get off “their estate” and threatening to kill them.

Terrified Mr Ali, who had his wife and three daughters in the car, frantically began reversing to try to get away as the gang kicked his car.

One of them threw a pint glass of beer at the back of his car, which smashed showering the car with alcohol and glass.

Fifteen minutes later McStay and two youths subjected another man to a racist attack as he waited in his car for his friend outside Elswick mosque.

As McStay, 22, was jailed for eight months, Mr Ali told how the incident had left him and his family scared to move in.

He said: “We had been looking forward to moving in to the new house but now we do not wish to do so.

“My daughters and wife are extremely upset, we have not been involved in an incident like this before.

“My family have been racially targeted for no reason. The damage to my car can be repaired, however mentally we have all suffered.”

Newcastle Crown Court heard the family were taking furniture to the house on Brittania Place, Elswick, around 3pm on March 23, ahead of moving in.

Just after Mr Ali, his wife and daughters, aged, 10, 18 and 19, pulled up, McStay and the others approached from behind, swigging alcohol.

Neil Pallister, prosecuting, said one of them shouted: “You better not be moving here or we will kill you, this is our estate.”

There followed a tirade of vile racist abuse and a 17-year-old started punching the driver’s side window shouting “Get out of here or I will kill you.”

Mr Pallister said: “All of the males were involved in the racial abuse and McStay joined in.

“Clearly Mr Ali and his family were in great fear and he began reversing his car down the street and turned round to drive away.

“As he reversed his car the group began kicking his car and ran after him and his family.

“One of them threw a pint glass which hit the rear window of the car, smashing glass and showering the car with alcohol as they drove away.”

After getting clear of the attack and reporting it to police, the family saw their car had been dented, causing hundreds of pounds of damage.

Mr Pallister said: “They were too scared and frightened to move into the address.”

Just fifteen minutes later McStay and two youths targeted an 18-year-old as he waited in his car outside Elswick mosque.

He was racially abused and told to leave the area and also had his car kicked.

Mr Pallister said: “The victim was very fearful for his safety and he locked his car door but the males continued to shout racial abuse at him.

“Fearing for his safety he felt obliged to reverse away out of the location. As he slowly drove away the gang followed him, waving their hands to shoo him away and one of them kicked his vehicle.”

Police caught up with them nearby and eventually Mcstay was also charged over the earlier attack after his trainer print was found on Mr Ali’s car.

McStay, of Kenilworth Road, Elswick, pleaded guilty to two charges of racially aggravated harassment, racially aggravated criminal damage and possessing cannabis.

He has previous convictions for offences including racially aggravated threatening words or behaviour, arson and affray.

Andrew Walker, defending, said: “These incidents were utterly reprehensible, deeply unpleasant and grossly offensive to those to whom it was aimed.

“It was pathetic in terms of the ignorance of those involved, who should all be utterly ashamed of themselves.”

Mr Walker added that McStay, who he said was not the prime mover, takes part in unlicenced boxing bouts.

Two 17-year-olds involved in the incidents were sent to the youth court to be dealt with.

Newcastle Chronicle

mcstay

mcstay 1

A BRAVE bus passenger who challenged a woman’s drunken, racist rant was attacked and spat on, Newbury magistrates have been told.

Afterwards, fellow Thatcham travellers praised victim Christine Dare’s courageous stand. Miss Dare later told police: “I had to act. It was too much to ignore.”

In the dock on Thursday, July 10, was 35-year-old Tara Elaine King, of Fallows Road, Padworth.

Helen Waite, prosecuting, said Ms King was talking to the bus driver in Thatcham, loudly praising the English Defence League, making racist comments and swearing.
Several passengers were incensed, said Ms Waite, “but it was Ms Dare who had the gumption to do something about it”.

Having vainly asked Ms King to keep her opinions to herself and moderate her language because there was a young child nearby, Ms Dare approached the driver and asked him to act, magistrates were told.

But, said Ms Waite, the driver told her to sit down – and when she did, Ms King approached, leaned over and spat on her.

Ms Dare said later: “I was horrified by her actions. I pushed her away, but she was shouting and came at me again; there was a scuffle and I grabbed her hair.”
Ms Waite said: “Very unedifying CCTV footage shows them hanging on to each other’s heads. The defendant was on top of her in her seat. She grabbed Ms Dare’s face and scratched it.

“The bus pulled into a layby and a man came to Ms Dare’s assistance. Police were called and, as she was led away, she told Ms Dare: ‘Look at my face so I can remember you.’”

Passenger Jodie Conyard said she was offended by Ms King’s racist remarks about Muslims and another, John Young, said he was upset to hear a “drunken” Ms King make derogatory comments about black people.

Both praised Ms Dare and offered to give evidence on her behalf when Ms King initially denied assault by beating.

However she later changed her plea to guilty, while not accepting that she spat on Ms Dare.

Although Ms Waite said the Crown stood by its version of events, the court ruled there was no need for a Newton hearing – a mini trial to establish the facts – because the matter would not make a substantial difference to their sentence.
They therefore agreed to accept Ms King’s basis of plea.

She admitted causing racially aggravated harassment, alarm or distress, both at Bath Road, Thatcham, on November 2 last year. Her previous convictions include a racially-aggravated offence, the court heard.

Ben Henriques, defending, said his client suffers post traumatic stress disorder since losing a child 11 years ago.

He added: “There was a two-way struggle. It’s clear from the CCTV. She realises alcohol is a problem and, because she is six months pregnant, has been making strenuous efforts to overcome it.”

He said his client felt she had been provoked, and asked for pre-sentence reports.
Presiding magistrate Sue Campbell said: “This was a very distressing, offensive and unpleasant incident which took place in public.

There are many aggravating features… all options remain open, including custody.”
Ms King was bailed until July 31 while reports are prepared.

Newbury Today

John Sharpe, aged 45, from Walsall and Kyle Kirkbridge, aged 24, from Rugeley

John Sharpe, aged 45, from Walsall and Kyle Kirkbridge, aged 24, from Rugeley

Kyle Kirkbride, 24, of Rugeley, admitted threatening behaviour, while John Sharpe, of Leamore, Bloxwich, admitted racially aggravated harassment at the EDL protest in Walsall on 29th September last year.

Walsall Magistrates Court heard Sharpe made racist remarks to a police officer. District Judge Michael Morris ordered him to pay a £100 fine, £150 compensation, £85 costs and £15 victim surcharge.

The prosecution said Kirkbride, had made rude hand gestures to Asian men.

Mr Jason Georgiou, mitigating, said he was not racist and was responding to the men. He was given a £280 fine, told to pay £85 costs and £15 victim surcharge.

Express & Star

A RACIST thug downed more than 15 pints and numerous shots before abusing Asian taxi drivers and smashing a taxi window.

When police asked Jamie Takle how he thought the drivers felt about being racially abused, he replied: “To be honest I vote BNP – what does that tell you? They should all go back to their own country.”

Takle, of Aldwick Avenue, Hartcliffe, had been so aggressive on the night in question that a police officer had to spray CS gas in his face to arrest him.

The 23-year-old appeared at Bristol Magistrates’ Court yesterday to be sentenced after pleading guilty to three counts of racially aggravated harassment, one of racially aggravated criminal damage and one of harassment on December 24 last year.

Paul Ricketts, prosecuting, said Takle had been drinking at several pubs with friends including the Hartcliffe Inn and Three Lions in Bedminster by which time he had consumed nine pints of cider.

Later Takle went into town and headed to Antix on Park Street where he continued to down pints and shots, Mr Ricketts said.

“The defendant left the club and walked down Park Street where he flagged down a taxi,” he said.

“There was then a dispute about a fare and the taxi driver was subjected to racist abuse.

“The defendant then removed his belt, wrapped it around his fist and punched the side window with the buckle causing it to smash.”

Mr Ricketts said a second taxi – in which the occupants were also Asian – witnessed the incident and were also racially abused by Takle.

Mr Ricketts said: “Police arrived a short time later and the defendant made off resulting in a short chase.

“The defendant still had the belt wrapped around his hand. The defendant moved towards the police officer who deployed CS gas spray and the defendant was arrested.

“In interview the following afternoon he was asked how he thought the victims of his abuse would feel.

“He replied ‘To be honest I vote BNP – what does that tell you?

“They should all go back to their own country.”

Mr Ricketts added that the first taxi driver was strongly offended and felt he should not have to put up with abuse while he was at work.

John Search, defending, said it was only right that Takle was assessed by the probation service so they could address concerns about his alcohol abuse and racism issues.

Takle will be sentenced on March 23. He was released on bail.

This is Bristol

A man has been jailed for three months for dumping a pig’s head outside a mosque in Berkshire.

Rory Rowbottom, from Thatcham, left the animal’s head at the mosque on Pound Street in Newbury on 23 October.

Rowbottom pleaded guilty to one count of racially aggravated harassment and a section 4 public order offence at Reading Magistrates’ Court.

Ch Insp Lindsey Finch said his actions had left the community “distressed and horrified”.

Speaking after the hearing she said: “This was a particularly distressing crime, targeting a very respectful and close community in West Berkshire.”

Lucky Nizami, of the Newbury Mosque Committee, said: “The Muslim community is very tolerant of others’ beliefs, but hold several things very close to them; those are the Koran, the Prophet and the mosque.

“It was therefore beyond the understanding of the community why anyone would wish to insult them by directly attacking one of those, in this case the mosque.”

BBC News

A FACTORY worker punched a police officer after he was arrested for a drunken racist rant when he said all immigrants should be shot, a court heard.

Ian Logan remembers very little about the incident when he assaulted the officer, who tried to arrest him following his racist diatribe, which also championed the English Defence League, Darlington Magistrates’ Court heard yesterday.

Alison Nunn, prosecuting, told the court the police officer had arrived in North Road at 11.20pm on a Sunday night, after being called to the area to deal with another matter.

The officer had seen the 48year-old staggering across the street, eating Mrs Nunn said: “He hears the defendant shout out, “EDL, EDL, get the f***ing immigrants out.

“‘You lot are f***ing useless, what the f*** are you doing about all these b******s? Control immigration, you should shoot them all.”

Logan then shouted more racist obscenities, the court heard.

When the officer, who thought Logan was drunk, tried to arrest him, he pulled the officer’s arm and then punched him in the face, the court heard. The officer reached for his pepper spray, which failed to activate, and Logan pulled him by his body armour and made aggressive comments, forcing the officer to “knee” Logan.

Logan continued to be physically and verbally aggressive until he was put into a police cell.

The incident happened on Sunday, February 28.

Leanne Steinberg, mitigating, said Logan had been drinking since 3pm on the day of the incident.

“Mr Logan is absolutely embarrassed and ashamed to come before the court, ” she said. “He accepts it is just not acceptable at all.”

She said he had consumed a lot of alcohol before the incident and did not remember a great deal about it.

She said he had been under a lot of stress, and had experienced periods of unemployment and had been worried about paying his mortgage and bills.

She said the rant had not been directed at anyone, and he had been “simply mouthing off”.

Logan, of Thompson Street West, Darlington, pleaded guilty to assaulting a police office and racially aggravated intentional harassment, alarm or distress.

He was fined £190 for each offence and ordered to pay £85 costs and a £15 victim surcharge.

The Advertiser

John Sharpe, aged 45, from Walsall and Kyle Kirkbridge, aged 24, from Rugeley

John Sharpe, aged 45, from Walsall and Kyle Kirkbridge, aged 24, from Rugeley

Three men have admitted their roles in trouble which broke out during an English Defence League protest in a busy Black Country town centre.

Angry scenes unfolded in Leicester Street, Walsall, in September as the EDL held a protest and disorder erupted as supporters left a pub.

Kyle Kirkbride, of Rugeley, and Peter Jelley, of Shrewsbury, both admitted threatening behaviour, while John Sharpe, of Leamore, Bloxwich, admitted racially aggravated harassment at Walsall Magistrates Court yesterday.

Mrs Clare Davis, prosecuting, said during the afternoon of September 29 there had been 300 EDL supporters in Yates’s, 100 in Varsity and more elsewhere and disorder erupted when 200 to 300 supporters left the pub.

Some stewards, EDL supporters and police suffered injuries.

The court heard Sharpe made racist remarks to a police officer. Miss Davis said the 45-year-old, of Hawbush Road, was not part of the protest and was in the “wrong place at the wrong time”. Mrs Sheila Hicklin, mitigating, said Sharpe had a drinking problem. District Judge Michael

Morris ordered him to pay a £100 fine, £150 compensation, £85 costs and £15 victim surcharge.

Miss Davis said Kirkbride, aged 24, of Springfield Avenue, had made rude hand gestures to Asian men.

Mr Jason Georgiou, mitigating, said he was not racist and was responding to the men. He was given a £280 fine, told to pay £85 costs and £15 victim surcharge.

Peter Jelley, aged 24, of Prescott Close, Shrewsbury, denied being involved in violence. In mitigation, Mr James Hand said he has no strong political views.

The hearing was adjourned for a pre-sentence report and he was released on conditional bail to return to court on February 6 for sentencing.

Express & Star

A man travelled to an English Defence League march in Leicester because he knew there might be trouble and he could shout and scream at Asian people, a court heard yesterday.

Prosecutor Elizabeth Dodds told Leicester Magistrates Court that Daniel John Buckley told police that was why he had made the journey.

Buckley, 27, of Oakley Road, Long Eaton, Nottingham, admitted racially aggravated harassment and obstructing a police officer.

Eve Patterson, in mitigation, said Buckley had an alcohol problem

He was given an eight-week prison sentence suspended for 12 months and ordered to attend a course to address his alcohol problem.

Leicester Mercury

TWO men who subjected a “decent and hardworking” Asian family to a torrent of abuse have been sent to jail and banned from their shop.

Stefan Davis and Kelvin Barratt were locked up for ten months and told not to go within 200 metres of the family’s newsagents in Bulwell for five years.
Judge Michael Stokes QC, who sentenced them, asked one of their solicitors: “Why should anyone put up with such behaviour?”

The men began their harassment at 7 o’clock one Monday morning as the family unloaded stock outside their newsagent’s in Bulwell.

Barratt, 25, of Courtleet Way, on the Crabtree Farm Estate in Bulwell, pulled a knife as he delivered an onslaught of foul remarks and words.

He asked one “what religion are you?” and she replied “what does that matter?”

He replied: “Because I’m EDL (English Defence League)”.

Matters then seemed to calm, with Davis shaking hands with a member of the family, and the men left.

But Nottingham Crown Court heard how they returned later that day, on April 16, and continued their racial abuse.

“Davis said, ‘I’ll be back. I’ll smash your shop. I’ll come back and rob your shop’,” said Robby Singh, prosecuting.

Davis then went to Tesco and shouted in the store before police arrived and arrested him and Barratt.

Barratt swore and said he had no respect for the police, the court was told.

Both men admitted racially aggravated harassment and using threatening words or behaviour. Barratt additionally pleaded guilty to having the knife.

Judge Michael Stokes QC told them the fact they were both drunk at the time was no excuse.

“The family who own the newsagents in Bulwell were at the shop at the time because they are hardworking, decent individuals.

“They didn’t want any trouble. The court will not tolerate such behaviour.”

The family asked the Post for their store not to be named for fear of further trouble.

Davis, 21, of Bromley Close, also on the Crabtree Farm Estate, accepted his behaviour was wrong, the court heard, and alcohol was a factor.

Andrew Wesley, in mitigation for Barratt, said his client had been out of trouble for nine years, was not a supporter of the EDL, was actively seeking work. He also said he was “deeply ashamed of his behaviour.”