Archive

Tag Archives: Dover

Martin Corner, 36, was filmed attempting to break through the police lines and encouraging others to join him

Martin Corner. Image courtesy of Greater Manchester Police.

Martin Corner.

A leading member of the far-right group North West Infidels has been jailed for taking part in a violent demo against refugees in Dover.

Martin Corner, 36, was filmed attempting to break through the police lines and encouraging others to join him.

He was also caught throwing an object at counter-protestors.

Corner, of Radcliffe Road in Bolton , was jailed for two years after he was found guilty of violent disorder following a trial at Canterbury Crown Court.

He was among a number of people who travelled to Kent to protest against refugees during a march through Dover organised by far-right group South East Infidels on Saturday, January 30, last year.

corner

Violence erupted when they clashed with a counter-demo by anti-fascists.

Several people were hurt and witnesses reported how bricks were thrown during the clash.

Corner was among a number of people who had travelled south to join the demo against refugees.

He is thought to be a key member of the North West Infidels and has spoken at a number of its demomstrations.

Corner was jailed alongside co-defendant Thomas Law, 54, from Coventry, who was imprisoned for two-and-half years after he was was seen throwing objects and caught being verbally abusive towards someone who was not involved in the disturbances.

Law was also found guilty of violent disorder.

law

Police spent many hours viewing footage of the violence and attempting to identify those responsible, leading to the arrests of both men in March last year.

More than 40 others who took part in the riot have previously been sentenced.

Det Con Hilary Bell said: “There is no excuse for the crimes committed by Martin Corner, Thomas Law and the more than 40 other offenders who have been sentenced so far.

“They could have chosen to walk away but instead they participated in disgraceful scenes that caused great concern and anger for law-abiding residents of Dover.

“Hopefully all those now serving time for their actions will consider if it was really worth it, and think twice before displaying such behaviour in future.”

Manchester Evening News

Two more protesters have been jailed following last year’s Dover riots.

Martin Corner was jailed for two years and Thomas Law for two-and-a-half by Canterbury Crown Court yesterday (Wednesday).

Corner, 36, of Radcliffe Road, Bolton, and Law, 54, of Raphael Close, Coventry, were both found guilty of violent disorder following a trial.

They had travelled to Dover on Saturday 30 January 2016 to take part in a march through the town, where they were involved in clashes with people holding a counter-protest at the same time.

Martin Corner. Image courtesy of Greater Manchester Police.

Martin Corner. Image courtesy of Greater Manchester Police.

Kent Police officers spent many hours viewing all available footage of the violence and attempting to identify those responsible, leading to the arrests of both men on Thursday, March 31 last year.

Investigating officer Det Con Hilary Bell said: ‘There is no excuse for the crimes committed by Martin Corner, Thomas Law and the more than 40 other offenders who have been sentenced so far.

‘They could have chosen to walk away but instead they participated in disgraceful scenes that caused great concern and anger for law-abiding residents of Dover.

“Hopefully all those now serving time for their actions will consider if it was really worth it, and think twice before displaying such behaviour in future.”

Large-scale violence had erupted that January day when a march far right groups led by the South East Alliance was countered by a protest by Kent Network Against Racism and Dover Stand Up to Racism.

Their protest had begun with a peaceful rally at Market Square but several people at the rally, many masked, broke away to confront the far right arriving at Dover Priory Station.

The height of the violence was when the two factions threw missiles at each other at either end of Effingham Street.

Kent Online

Marin Corner is best known for his attempt to burn the EU flag.

One of the oldest known thugs in the Dover riots has been jailed.

David Ashman, 66, was given an eight-month sentence on Wednesday last week after being seen throwing two missiles.

Ashman had travelled all the way form his home of Wolverhampton Street in Walsall to the scene of two rival demonstrations in Dover on January 30 last year.

He was sentenced at Canterbury Crown Court having pleaded guilty to one count of violent disorder.

The court heard that while Ashman was in Dover CCTV captured him near a petrol station in Effingham Street, where a disturbance was taking place.

He was then seen in Folkestone Road throwing two missiles at a rival group and aggressively gesturing towards them.

Detective Inspector Bill Thornton, from Kent Police, said: “The disruption caused by protesters such as Ashman was significant and caused a huge amount of people to fear for their safety while they were trying to go about their daily business.

‘While we respect everybody’s rights to participate in peaceful protest, we cannot accept people using pre-planned demonstrations to cause violent disorder.

‘Our investigation to locate offenders responsible for the disturbances has been thorough and many wrongdoers, including Ashman, have found that they have been unable to evade justice – despite living outside of Kent Police’s area.”

A far right march had taken place in Dover that day, which was countered by anti-fascist protesters.

It led to full-scale rioting with bricks and other missiles being thrown from either end of Effingham Street.

Ashman is the latest in a long line of violent yobs that police have caught up with since.

Kent Online

A Margate dad, who claimed he hurled a brick during a riot in self-defence, was betrayed by messages on his own mobile phone.

Masked Daniel Johnson, 33, said he was at the Dover demonstrations in January when he was struck by a missile.

He told police that video footage taken during the riots showed him trying to defend himself from left wing thugs and he denied a charge of violent disorder.

But a judge at Canterbury Crown Court heard how officers later downloaded messages from his mobile phone.

And it was revealed how the groundworker, from Hastings Avenue, had texted a pal three days after the riot, saying: “That was the best one yet. Already counting down the days to the next one.

“It was nice to see them on the floor getting a beating!”

Johnson later changed his plea to guilty and has now been jailed for eight months.

Prosecutor Paul Valder told how right-wing demonstrators had met outside the Dover Priory railway station intending to march through the town.

It was then that their route was blocked by left wing rivals and the police stood between the groups.

Johnson was seen holding a piece of wood and making obscene gestures towards the opposing group.

“He is then seen clearly to pick up a half brick or piece of masonry which he then hurls towards the left-wing protesters.

“Throughout the action his face is masked. He was unmasked at the beginning of the demonstration and at the end when he is seen smoking a cigarette

Johnson was arrested in May this year as he gathered for a similar demonstration and was recognised as one of the men wanted by Kent Police.

Mr Valder said: “He was interviewed and in effect said: ‘Yes, I was there. Yes, that’s me on the CCTV. I was acting in self-defence. A missile struck me, hitting me on the leg, etc, etc’.”

But after the text message was revealed, Johnson decided to change his plea and his lawyer Nicholas Jones presented personal references to the court

He said: “They show a gentler person outside what is clearly a poisonous peer group.”

Judge James O’Mahony told him: “This was not about politics and everyone has a right to demonstrate but peacefully.

“But this was  just horrible, stark violence and  nasty, serious public disorder. It is clear that there were those on both sides who went to Dover intent on causing trouble.

“What I don’t understand is the sheer hate on people’s faces. What’s all that about? You can have your political views but you don’t have to express them with sheer nasty visceral hate!”

After the hearing, Detective Inspector Bill Thornton said: “Dover is now considered a no-go area for such demonstrations, as we have made it very clear that the behaviour of men like Daniel Johnson will simply not be tolerated.

“He was of previous good character but has been sentenced to eight months’ imprisonment for his crimes, which shows how seriously the courts take such incidents.

“Johnson is the latest of many who have been forced to face the consequences of their violent actions on that day in Dover, and I am looking forward to hearing of further positive outcomes in the future.”

Kent Online

One man has been jailed and another charged over the Dover riots as the first anniversary approaches.

Brian Stamp was sent to prison for 16 months today after hitting someone with a flagpole and throwing objects at rival protesters.

Meanwhile Shaun Grimsley has been charged with violent disorder and will appear in court next month.

Canterbury Crown Court heard that Stamp, 34 and of Talbot Road, South Shields travelled to Kent to take part in a pre-planned political demonstration in Dover last January 30.

Members of the far right, including the National Front and South East Alliance, arrived in the town to march and ended up clashing with left wing protesters who had also flocked in.

Police afterwards uncovered footage of Stamp throwing objects at members of an opposing group in Effingham Street.

The street was the setting for one of the ugliest scenes of the day when both sides hurled missiles at each other from either end.

He was later seen assaulting an opposing demonstrator with a flagpole, causing the pole to break, in Folkestone Road.

He pleaded guilty to one count of violent disorder.

Det Con Kirsty Bricknell, the investigating officer for this case, said: “Stamp was taking part in a pre-planned demonstration but, instead of using it as a platform to lawfully voice his opinions, took it as an opportunity to take part in violent disorder.

“The behaviour of Stamp, and numerous other offenders who took part in the disorder, caused a significant amount of disruption for residents in Dover and left a number of people fearing for their safety.

“Despite not being in Kent, and returning to his home in the South Shields, Stamp was unable to avoid arrest.

“ This sentencing shows that Kent Police has the resources to identify offenders from across the UK and that geographical distance is no barrier to us bringing them to justice.”

In a separate development Grimsley, of Foxglove Walk, Hednesford, Staffordshire, was arrested last Thursday after a warrant was executed at his home.

He has since been bailed to attend Folkestone Magistrates Court on Wednesday, February 8.

Det Insp Bill Thornton, from Kent Police, said: “We are continuing to work tirelessly to identify suspects for offences committed before and during the demonstrations in Dover.

“This latest charge shows that we work closely with police forces across the UK to make sure these arrests are made.”

Every since that violent day police have been hunting down perpetrators and had made 80 arrests by November.

A number of other convicted rioters have already been jailed.

Kent Online

A rioter who ‘hijacked’ a flag of St George and used it to beat a left-wing protester until it snapped has been jailed.

Tony Baker then threw bricks at rivals before giving Nazi-style salutes during an incident in Dover, Kent, in January.

Tony Baker, 30, of D'arcy Square, Murton

Tony Baker, 30, of D’arcy Square, Murton

But when he was ordered to appear at Canterbury Crown Court for his trial, he failed to show up because his wife, Natalie had just given birth to their third child.

Judge James O’Mahony told him: “It’s everyone’s right to protest peacefully but wouldn’t it have been better if you had stayed at home with your wife and baby than risk what eventually happened?”

His barrister, Matthew Hardyman, said the 30-year-old builder had realised other rioters were being jailed “and decided to earn as much money as he could” before being sent to prison.

But going AWOL cost Baker an extra month inside – after the judge jailed him for a total of 30 months.

He had pleaded guilty to violent disorder after travelling from his home in D’arcy Square, Murton, to join the protest.

Prosecutor Robert Ward told how Baker was caught on CCTV holding an English flag in front of the Priory Hotel.

He was later seen wearing a mask and running towards left-wing protesters, hurling bricks and other objects and using the broken flag pole to strike an opponent “at least six times” until it snapped.

After his arrest he was ordered to appear at a hearing in September – but failed to show up.

Mr Hardyman said Baker and his wife were “childhood sweethearts” who had been together since he was 13.

“The reason he didn’t turn up for his trial was because Natalie had given birth to their third child. A lot of his colleagues, who had also attended the demonstration, had received custodial sentences.

“Frankly, he wanted to get as much money as possible in the bank so his wife, who is caring for their three children, a nine-year-old, a four-year-old and a new-born, would be in the best position to survive as long as possible without him.”

Last week, Baker turned up at a Durham police station and gave himself up after an arrest warrant had been issued.

“He maintains he was hit first by bricks being thrown by left wing protesters and he knows now he should have walked away. He knows that now and knows he has made a terrible mistake, “ added Mr Hardyman.

The judge told him that the riot was “not about politics but about maintaining the peace and law and order as against wholesale violent behaviour”.

“Everyone has a right to be patriotic and demonstrate peacefully but you took a lead role in what was unacceptable, something which was unpleasant for the people of Dover and not much fun for the police,” he added.

“There is nothing wrong with holding a flag, but you hijacked it in the course of violence and genuinely patriotic people would be offended by you using the flag like that.”

Sunderland Echo

tony-baker-flag

broadbent

A violent protester who was filmed giving the Nazi salute has been jailed.

Andrew Broadbent, 44, of St Mary’s Walk in Bridlington, Yorkshire, was filmed fighting, throwing objects and hitting a man with a stick during the disorder on Saturday January 30.

Broadbent’s image was circulated to other police forces, which led to his arrest at the end of July.

He was also caught on camera giving a Nazi salute.

He was subsequently charged with violent disorder, which he admitted prior to his sentencing hearing at Canterbury Crown Court on Friday October 21.

Divisional commander Chief Superintendent Andrea Bishop of Kent Police said: ‘This is another positive outcome for everyone affected by the disorder created by Andrew Broadbent and the many others who have also been sentenced for offences committed on the day of the protests.

“The behaviour on display was totally unacceptable and it is pleasing to see the courts imposing prison terms in response.

‘I hope this acts as a powerful deterrent to anyone considering causing trouble at any future protests in Kent.’

Kent Live