Eight sentenced following violent disorder in Whitehall

Eight individuals involved in violent disorder which took place in Whitehall on 9 June 2018, have been sentenced at Southwark Crown Court, having pleaded guilty to violent disorder, contrary to section 2 of the Public Order Act 1986.

They were sentenced on Friday, 27 September as follows:

Danny Grealey, 43 (28.06.76) of Ebberns Road, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire was sentenced to 18 months’ imprisonment.

Kate Beveridge, 35 (04.04.84) of Pool Foot Lane, Singleton, Lancashire was sentenced to 15 months, suspended for 18 months, and was ordered to carry out 200 hours of unpaid work.

Robert Sandford, 47 (27.11.71) of Bolton Road, Hungerhill, Bolton was sentenced to 14 months’ imprisonment.

Keith O’Sullivan, 40 (22.04.79) of Holmstead Way, Luton was sentenced to 23 months’ imprisonment.

Andrew McLean, 20 (18.11.98) of Field Street, Wolverhampton was sentenced to 18 months’ imprisonment.

David Anderson, 23 (06.05.95) of Moraine Drive, Glasgow was sentenced to 14 months’ imprisonment.

Kai Smith, 19 (09.10.99) of Middleton Close, London, E4 was sentenced to 15 months’ imprisonment.

Carl Gustav Backland, 59 (14.11.59) of Grafton Way, Camden was sentenced to nine months’ imprisonment.

A further six individuals will be sentenced on Monday, 30 September.

On 9 June 2018, serious disorder broke out at a ‘Free Tommy Robinson’ demonstration in Whitehall. Scaffolding, glass bottles and items of street furniture, including heavy barriers, were thrown at police. More than 20 officers suffered injuries. Serious disruption was caused to members of the public, local businesses and the local community as a result.

Operation Augusta was launched by the Met to bring those involved in the disorder to justice.

Detective Sergeant Matt Hearing, who led the Operation Augusta team, said: “This investigation proved extremely challenging with hundreds of hours of CCTV, video and Body Worn Video to examine. However, such was the weight of evidence brought against those charged, that all pleaded guilty.

“Peaceful protest plays an important role in our society. However, the actions of some involved in this demonstration showed a contempt both for the law and the police. Officers that day were there to ensure the safety of all those taking part, yet were met with abuse and violence.”

Robert Hutchinson, prosecutor from the London CPS complex casework unit, said: “The terrifying disorder wreaked by these individuals in the heart of London on 9 June 2018, was inexcusable. Protestors set out to intimidate and hurt police, injuring more than 20 officers who were protecting the public and tourists in Central London on the day of Trooping of the Colour, and who should have been able to go about their duties without fear of violence.

“This was a complex case and has involved exceptionally close liaison with the police from an early stage to determine appropriate charges that reflected the seriousness of their crimes. The strong case we built ultimately left the defendants with no choice but to plead guilty.

“The sentences passed today should serve as a warning that those who direct violence towards police and act in this way will face prosecution and potentially prison.”

+ The following are due to be sentenced on Monday, 30 September:

– Mark Ransome, 25 (07.02.94) of Romford Road, Romford.
– James Thomas, 28 (24.10.90) of Priory View Road, Burton, Christchurch, Dorset.
– Max Millay-Hammet, 22 (09.05.97) of Wenlock Road, N1.
– Charles Haig, 24 (22.03.95) of East Street, Seaford, East Sussex.
– John Cummings, 49 (16.09.70) of Hunters Hall Road, Dagenham, Essex.
– Mitchell Fenwick, 21 (17.07.98) of Glebelands, Haverfordwest, Dyfed.
Met Police

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: