Judge gives multi-year sentences in Aug. 12 garage beating

Alex Ramos, charged with malicious wounding in the Aug. 12, 2017, parking garage beating of DeAndre Harris, has been sentenced to six years in prison.

The judge’s sentence was identical to the jury recommendations when Ramos, of Jackson, Georgia, was found guilty in May. He said it was appropriate, given the “evil” nature of Ramos’s actions.

At that trial, Charlottesville Police Detective Declan Hickey said he came across a Facebook post reportedly written by Ramos. The post reads, “We stomped some ass…getting some was f***ing fun.”

Hickey said Ramos seemed remorseful after his arrest.

Jacob S. Goodwin, one of the men on trial Thursday for the Aug. 12, 2017, garage beating of DeAndre Harris, will serve eight years in prison for malicious wounding.

On May 1, the jury had recommended 10 years in prison for Goodwin with the option of some suspended time, a $20,000 fine and empathy training.

A judge on Thursday largely agreed. Goodwin, from Arkansas, was sentenced to 10 years in prison with two years suspended, as well as a $5,000 fine and 20 years of good behavior, which includes no contact with Harris.

As the white supremacist Unite the Right rally fell apart, Harris was chased into the Market Street Parking Garage and beaten as he scrambled on the ground to get away. Hit with sticks, shields and fists, Harris was left with a laceration on his head that required staples to close, a broken wrist and multiple cuts and bruises.

Goodwin, Alex Ramos, Daniel Borden and Tyler Davis were charged with malicious wounding in the attack.

Ramos, Borden and Goodwin all have been found guilty of malicious wounding and will spend several years behind bars. Ramos was recommended a sentence of six years in prison (he is also being sentenced Thursday), while Borden entered an Alford plea — in which he did not admit guilt but said the prosecution had enough evidence to convict him — and faces up to 20 years when he is sentenced in October.

A trial for Davis, 50, who was arrested much later than the other three, has not yet been set. He is set to be arraigned Oct. 4, according to court records. Davis is currently free on bond but confined to his home in Florida.

Harris himself was arrested and charged with assault after video reportedly showed him striking a man with a flashlight outside of the garage where he was beaten.

At his trial in Charlottesville General District Court on March 16, Harris told the court that he thought the man — later identified as Harold Crews — was attacking his friend, Corey Long, with a flagpole. He said he thought he was protecting Long from an unprovoked attack.

Harris said he never tried to hit Crews, but rather was aiming for the flagpole to knock it aside.

Harris was found not guilty of misdemeanor assault.

Daily Progress

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: