Archive

Tag Archives: Newcastle

Defendents denied taking part in trouble but were convicted by a jury at Birmingham Crown Court

A further four members of the English Defence League (EDL) have been found guilty of violent disorder during a bloody demonstration in Birmingham city centre.

Following a trial, the jury convicted Adrian Rimmel, 50, of Swallow Avenue, Smithswood, Simon Reeve, 43, of London Road, Lowestoft, Suffolk, Gary Watts, 29, of Parsoles Avenue, Dagenham, Essex and Anthony Webster, 38, of Strathmore Crescent, Newcastle, of the offence on July 20, 2013.

Footage from the incident – which included demonstrators trying to use a portaloo as a weapon against cops – was shown to the jury.

His Honour Judge Richard Bond adjourned their case for pre-sentence reports to be drawn up, but he warned them a prison sentence was inevitable.

Granting the four bail, he said: “Do not think because I have adjourned this case for pre-sentence reports anything other than an immediate custodial sentence will follow.

“You know how serious this offence is and I am taking this violent disorder very seriously.

“The starting point (for sentence) is a quite lengthy custodial sentence,”

At the end of the trial, in which the jury viewed police footage from the demonstration, Judge Bond told the panel that around 50 EDL members would face sentence next month for offences committed during the same incident.

On the day of the disturbances in July 2013 demonstrators clashed with police officers, who were pelted with bottles, bricks and cans.

Last month, in the same court, Thomas Wilkie, aged 22, of Kent Road, Wednesbury, Shane Williams, 26, of Dragon Lane, Leicester and Andrew Edge, 44, of Wellington Road, Stockport, were also convicted by a jury of violent disorder.

Edge, who asked to be remanded into custody, chanted “EDL, EDL” as he was led down to cells.

Judge Bond told jurors at the time: “Well there you go, resounding confirmation the verdict you returned was the correct one.”

Birmingham Mail

The victim of racists Shaun Marshall and Dean Bartley says “these days, you would think people would get used to black people in this country”

Dean Bartley

Dean Bartley



These two racist thugs left a doorman with a broken leg after attacking him because he asked them to leave at closing time.

Shaun Marshall and Dean Bartley were upset that kicking out time arrived shortly after they had bought pints and refused to leave.

Door supervisor Davison Jersey stepped in to tell them they had to go and was met with a volley of sick racist abuse.

Marshall and Bartley spat at Mr Jersey before landing a series of punches and kicks.

Graeme O’Sullivan, prosecuting, said: “It’s clear from the CCTV he continued to be aggressive, as did Bartley, towards Mr Jersey.

“Their swearing and racist abuse continued and both men spat at the door supervisor.

“Marshall punched Mr Jersey to the right side of his cheek and Bartley joined in, running round and punching him and kicking him in the legs.

“Mr Jersey hit out but both men came at him and he fell to the floor and the men continued kicking him for some time after that.”

Marshall eventually ran off and Bartley followed him after other customers told him off for continuing to shout abuse at the now injured Mr Jersey.

The doorman was left with a broken leg and bruising and swelling to his legs and hand.

Marshall, 24, who has 30 previous convictions and Bartley, 23, who has 80 previous convictions, including two offences of racially aggravated harassment, both pleaded guilty to racially aggravated grievous bodily harm.

Marshall, of Elliott House, Newcastle, who also admitted criminal damage, was jailed for three years and seven months.

Bartley, of Warkworth Crescent, Newcastle, was locked up for three years.

John Foley, for Marshall, said: “The thing that instigated the violence was they had both been served with a pint at the bar and, having paid for it, they were told to leave it and get out.

“That seemed unfair and annoyed them and they lost control.”

Jonathan Devlin, for Bartley, said: “The route of his problem is drink. The sooner he realises drinking only gets him into trouble, the sooner it will be that he no longer comes to this court.”
The doorman was knocked to the floor, where the pair continued kicking him, leaving him with a fractured fibula and bruising and swelling.

As the thugs were locked up at Newcastle Crown Court, Mr Jersey told in a statement how the racist attack left him considering quitting his job.

He said: “These days you would think people would get used to black people in this country.

“I’ve been in this country 17 years but this vicious attack has made me rethink this job. I will probably leave this job now.”

Marshall and Bartley were drinking at Nancy’s Bordello, on Stepney Lane, Newcastle, in the early hours of Saturday March 22.

Around 2am customers were asked to leave and everyone complied except Marshall and Bartley, who had just ordered another pint.

When they ignored the bar manager, Mr Jersey was asked to intervene and tried to usher the drunken pair out.

At that point Marshall became abusive and launched into a racist rant, then Bartley joined in too.

As they reached the door, Marshall began punching a glass panel covering a menu, damaging it.

Newcastle Chronicle

The EDL supporter in this article is Dean Bartley.

DB 1

DB 2

Controlling Paul Oxberry head-butted his partner when she was pregnant with his child.

The 19-year-old had been in a relationship with Sandra Forbister for nine months when he attacked her after a drinking session.

The pair had been out together, on May 31, when an argument broke out as they made their way home on a bus. Which ended with Oxberry head-butting her.

Rebecca Laverick, prosecuting said: “She said he was very controlling. He was always ringing her up and he didn’t let her go out by herself. She said he often becomes aggressive when he’s drunk but thought he wouldn’t do anything because the two children were with them. But he continued to be aggressive. She told him she wanted him to leave her alone. Then with out warning he head-butted her.”

Ms Forbister asked one of her children to call the police, but when they failed to get the phone working she managed to run to a nearby garden and dial 999.

Mrs Laverick added: “She said she’s not going to stay with Paul. She feels isolated from friends and family because he’s so controlling.”

However, the court heard the couple had since rekindled their relationship.

Oxberry, of Castle Street, in Hazlerigg, Newcastle, admitted assault by beating.

Kevin Kivlehan, defending, said: “He’s only 19 and has severe learning difficulties. He says he accepts the head-but. The two of them had been in drink and arguing all day and he had simply had enough.

Oxberry will be sentenced next month.

Newcastle Chronicle

PO 1

PO

A family were subjected to a terrifying racist attack by a gang of yobs in the west end of Newcastle as they tried to move in their furniture

Daniel McStay, jailed for racist attacks in Elswick

Daniel McStay, jailed for racist attacks in Elswick

Vile racist thugs drove an Asian family out of their new home as they tried to move in.

The Ali family pulled up outside their new house in Elswick, Newcastle, only to be greeted by a seething gang of young yobs.

Boxer Daniel McStay and five or six youths started punching and kicking their car, telling them to get off “their estate” and threatening to kill them.

Terrified Mr Ali, who had his wife and three daughters in the car, frantically began reversing to try to get away as the gang kicked his car.

One of them threw a pint glass of beer at the back of his car, which smashed showering the car with alcohol and glass.

Fifteen minutes later McStay and two youths subjected another man to a racist attack as he waited in his car for his friend outside Elswick mosque.

As McStay, 22, was jailed for eight months, Mr Ali told how the incident had left him and his family scared to move in.

He said: “We had been looking forward to moving in to the new house but now we do not wish to do so.

“My daughters and wife are extremely upset, we have not been involved in an incident like this before.

“My family have been racially targeted for no reason. The damage to my car can be repaired, however mentally we have all suffered.”

Newcastle Crown Court heard the family were taking furniture to the house on Brittania Place, Elswick, around 3pm on March 23, ahead of moving in.

Just after Mr Ali, his wife and daughters, aged, 10, 18 and 19, pulled up, McStay and the others approached from behind, swigging alcohol.

Neil Pallister, prosecuting, said one of them shouted: “You better not be moving here or we will kill you, this is our estate.”

There followed a tirade of vile racist abuse and a 17-year-old started punching the driver’s side window shouting “Get out of here or I will kill you.”

Mr Pallister said: “All of the males were involved in the racial abuse and McStay joined in.

“Clearly Mr Ali and his family were in great fear and he began reversing his car down the street and turned round to drive away.

“As he reversed his car the group began kicking his car and ran after him and his family.

“One of them threw a pint glass which hit the rear window of the car, smashing glass and showering the car with alcohol as they drove away.”

After getting clear of the attack and reporting it to police, the family saw their car had been dented, causing hundreds of pounds of damage.

Mr Pallister said: “They were too scared and frightened to move into the address.”

Just fifteen minutes later McStay and two youths targeted an 18-year-old as he waited in his car outside Elswick mosque.

He was racially abused and told to leave the area and also had his car kicked.

Mr Pallister said: “The victim was very fearful for his safety and he locked his car door but the males continued to shout racial abuse at him.

“Fearing for his safety he felt obliged to reverse away out of the location. As he slowly drove away the gang followed him, waving their hands to shoo him away and one of them kicked his vehicle.”

Police caught up with them nearby and eventually Mcstay was also charged over the earlier attack after his trainer print was found on Mr Ali’s car.

McStay, of Kenilworth Road, Elswick, pleaded guilty to two charges of racially aggravated harassment, racially aggravated criminal damage and possessing cannabis.

He has previous convictions for offences including racially aggravated threatening words or behaviour, arson and affray.

Andrew Walker, defending, said: “These incidents were utterly reprehensible, deeply unpleasant and grossly offensive to those to whom it was aimed.

“It was pathetic in terms of the ignorance of those involved, who should all be utterly ashamed of themselves.”

Mr Walker added that McStay, who he said was not the prime mover, takes part in unlicenced boxing bouts.

Two 17-year-olds involved in the incidents were sent to the youth court to be dealt with.

Newcastle Chronicle

mcstay

mcstay 1

Matthew Walley

Matthew Walley

DRUNKEN Matthew Walley smashed a man over the head with a bottle – after he was asked to put his dog on a lead.

The 22-year-old was told by Mark Dias to put his dog on a leash as he was concerned it may harm his partner’s cat.

But Walley who had drunk 20 cans of lager, became aggressive.

Mr Dias told him he did not want any trouble but the defendant raised his hand and smashed a bottle or glass on his head causing a 2cm cut

Now Walley has been jailed for two years and three months after admitting assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court heard Walley had spent May 25 drinking and at 11pm Mr Dias noticed the defendant’s dog was in his partner’s garden in Silverdale Road, Newcastle.

Prosecutor Joanne Wallbanks said: “Mr Dias asked the defendant if he would put the dog on its lead as he was concerned his partner’s cat would be harmed.

“The defendant was acting as if he had been drinking, and was irrational and aggressive.

“The defendant said, ‘Come on lad’. He was twice the size as Mr Dias who said he did not want any trouble.

“The defendant raised his hand and slammed a bottle or glass on Mr Dias’s head causing a 1cm-2cm laceration, which was glued.”

Police arrived and Walley said: “If you touch me I will set my dog on you.”

The court heard Walley, of Kimberley Road, Newcastle, has previous convictions for threatening behaviour, robbery, and assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

Stuart Muldoon, mitigating, said Walley had a history of mental illness but his family have seen a dramatic change in him as a result of the medication he has been prescribed.

Mr Muldoon said: “He is adamant that his future is positive. He now realises the triggers behind his offending, both the use of alcohol, binge drinking, and the regular use of cannabis. He appreciates cannabis exacerbates whatever issues are going on in his mind.”

Judge Paul Glenn said a sentence of immediate custody was inevitable and jailed Walley for 27 months.

He said: “Mr Dias was simply trying to get his partner’s cat in the house. He was concerned about the cat’s safety and asked you to put your dog on a lead.

“You became aggressive and confrontational.

“He was scared and he told you he did not want any trouble. You smashed a glass or bottle against his head and the glass shattered.

“Fortunately the injuries were not as serious as they could have been but they required hospital treatment.”

Judge Glenn said the offence was aggravated because Walley used a weapon, he has relevant previous convictions, he was on bail for another matter and was drunk.

He added: “As matters stand you represent a high risk of re-offending and of causing serious harm to other people.”

Stoke Sentinel

Matt Walley facebook

Matt Walley facebook

AN EDL thug who stormed a peaceful protest before hurling a lit firework has walked free from court

English Defence League member Anthony Crawford

English Defence League member Anthony Crawford

Anthony Crawford sparked pandemonium when he lobbed the explosive at anti-jubilee protesters as they gathered for a rally in Newcastle city centre.

It landed in the hood worn by Barnaby Drew, from Byker, Newcastle, who was left with burns after it exploded on his shoulder and set fire to his hair.

The 19-year-old’s pals patted down his body to stop it spreading, and the force of the blast burned a hole in his jumper. He was left partially deafened when the firework perforated his eardrum.

But now, after admitting one charge of assault by beating, Crawford, 22, of Elmway, Chester-le-Street, County Durham, has escaped a prison term after magistrates handed him a 15-week suspended sentence.

And they ordered Crawford to pay his victim £150 in compensation for the terrifying incident. Crawford joined a group of EDL protesters at the Rose & Crown pub, on Newcastle’s Newgate Street, for a pre-arranged meeting on June 4.

Later he sparked mayhem when he threw two bottles and the firecracker as trouble flared during scuffles in front of shoppers at Newcastle’s Grey’s Monument where the EDL and anti-jubilee protesters clashed.

Sue Baker, prosecuting, told Newcastle Magistrates’ Court: “He’s thrown two bottles of water at the protestors and then a firework which caused minor injuries to Barnaby Drew.”

Crawford’s legal team told the court he was handed the lit firework before throwing it into the crowd and he had not intended to cause injury.

Crawford, who works two days a week as a volunteer, admitted one charge of assault by beating and one count of using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour with intent to cause fear or provoke unlawful violence.

He was handed two 15-week sentences to run concurrently, suspended for 12 months.

He was also ordered to carry out 100 hours’ unpaid work and was made the subject of a 12-month supervision order.

Chronicle Live

FAR-RIGHT thugs who stormed a Newcastle club in a display of violence were today behind bars.

Members of the English Defence League (EDL) turned up at the Tyneside Irish Centre looking to infiltrate a meeting of political rivals.

It turned out their targets – the Socialist Workers Party (SWP) – were not even in the building after the EDL group were spotted in a nearby pub and officials called the meeting off fearing trouble.

But that did not stop a pack of up to 20 thugs, many wearing EDL hooded tops, from forcing entry, attacking door staff and setting off a fire extinguisher inside the Irish Centre in scenes captured on CCTV.

Now six of the gang have been locked up while three others received suspended jail terms.

Judge Roger Thorn, at Newcastle Crown Court, said: “This was a group attack on the democratic rights of others to have free association and exercise their freedom of speech.

“This behaviour cannot be tolerated, no matter how much you might dislike the views of the socialist party.

“These sentences must ensure a tit-for-tat revenge can be no option. Violence and threats of violence will not be tolerated by the EDL, SWP or indeed any other factions or groups of any kind.”

The SWP had been holding weekly meetings at the Tyneside Irish Centre, on Gallowgate, in the months before the incident.

On September 22 last year, yobs, described in court as being ‘aligned to the EDL’, met at nearby Rosie’s Bar.

That led to officials cancelling the proposed SWP meeting, fearing there would be trouble, and staff at the private members Irish Club were told not to let anyone in.

When one of the men in the EDL group, Peter Duffy, turned up, he was eventually let in so he could be shown none of his rivals were there.

Once inside he was pushed in the back by a member of staff and he retaliated by hitting the man.

Duffy was then bundled outside, where he was joined by a large group of other EDL sympathisers, who suddenly stormed the club, attacking two door staff. Jonathan Devlin, prosecuting, said: “One witness said around 20 people were outside Rosie’s Bar and they were staring across towards the Irish Centre.

“He said they ran towards the centre and when they came out he said there was a real sense of tension on the street and one man was rubbing his knuckles as if he had just punched someone.”

Mr Devlin said: “On September 22 last year several persons thought to be aligned with the EDL met at Rosie’s bar situated on the opposite side of the road.

“They forced themselves into the club foyer, a melee ensued and door staff were attacked.”

Peter Duffy, 44, of Elgin Avenue, Seaham, Colin Bell, 36, of St Oswalds Road, Hebburn, Anthony Burn, 48, of Lecondale Court, Leam Lane, Gateshead, Michael Garriock, 23, of Gibson Street, Wallsend, Barry Keddy, 34, of Deneholm, Wallsend, Alan Spence, 46, of Gerald Street, Benwell, Steven Spence, 27, of Wickham View, Denton Burn, Newcastle, and Paul Starr, 45, of Telford Street, East Howdon, North Tyneside, all admitted affray.

Nicholas Mills, 25, of Drumaldrace, Blackfell, Washington, and Colin Burton, 28, of Woodhave Court, South Shields, admitted public order offences.

Duffy was jailed for 10 months, Keddy got eight months, Garriock eight months, Steven Spence eight months, Alan Spence seven months and Burton seven months. Burn and Bell were sentenced to three months imprisonment, suspended for 12 months, with four week curfews. Starr was sentenced to four months imprisonment, suspended for 12 months, with a similar curfew. Mills’ case was adjourned until later this month.

Robert Adams, defending, said the EDL had targeted the meeting after it was advertised on the internet under the heading “smash the EDL”.

Judge Thorn said he was not sentencing the men for their membership of any political party but for the premeditated violence.

Chronicle Live