Archive

Uncategorized

A man who posted racist tweets about Liverpool FC footballer Mohamed Salah has received a suspended jail sentence.

During an online chat with Liverpool fans, Gary Hyland, 32, from Bootle, Merseyside, joked about the Egyptian striker praying to Mecca at half-time and sent altered images of the whole team praying to Allah.

A supporter asked him: “What’s the issue with Muslims lad? Can you even articulate it?”

Hyland – reportedly an Everton fan – then sent a photograph of Salah with a suicide vest superimposed on the top part of the player’s body as well as making racist remarks about Salah and sending further images that poked fun at people praying to Allah.

The tweets on August 6 were reported to Merseyside Police and two days later Hyland was arrested at his home.

Hyland later said to officers: “I know I’ll get charged. It was me.”

Earlier this month he pleaded guilty to racially/religiously aggravated intentional harassment and obstructing an officer in the execution of his duty.

On Friday he was given a six-week jail term, suspended for 12 months, said the Crown Prosecution Service.

Sefton magistrates also ordered him to complete 200 hours of unpaid work in the community and 14 days of a Rehabilitation Activity Requirement, including attending a Promoting Human Dignity Course.

Angela Conlan, of Mersey Cheshire Crown Prosecution Service, said: “He pleaded guilty and admitted what he’d done was stupid. These sorts of remarks fuel racial hatred and are extremely offensive to people from the race or religion that they are aimed at.

“Mohamed Salah does not deserve to be the object of abuse and neither does any person in a civilised society. The tweets were sent in the early hours of the morning and Hyland turned a discussion into a racist rant.

“That is not acceptable. Let this be a lesson to everyone that words can hurt and society has standards that must be upheld.”

Evening Standard

ay Davison wrote ‘heil, heil, heil’ in a series of racist Instagram posts

Jay Davison admitted posting the photos but claimed he was drunk and did not mean to incite hatred ( CPS )

A man who posed with a fake shotgun and urged people to “stand up” has been convicted of stirring up religious hatred against Muslims.

Jay Davison talked about “Aryans” and wrote “heil, heil, heil” in a series of Instagram posts and comments.

A photo showed the 38-year-old posing topless holding what appeared to be a large shotgun, with the caption: “F*** Allah”.

Cardiff Crown Court heard that he shared a second photo with the fake weapon in August last year, and wrote a series of racist comments.

“Ever seen a white man cut a head off? No because they’re f***ing scum. Heil, heil, heil, heil, f*** Allah c***,” one read.

“When has an Aryan cut another man’s head off?” said another comment.

The posts were published on a private Instagram account with 394 followers, but the police were alerted after screen shots were posted to a WhatsApp group later the same day.

When Davison was arrested days later, he admitted posting the messages after an evening of drinking but claimed he was not racist and did not intend to incite racial hatred.

He said that the photos were taken at a friend’s house with an ornamental gun but he refused to name the friend.

However, prosecutors said his comments urged people to “stand up” and contained phrases associated with Nazism and white supremacy.

Davison, of Rhiwbina in Cardiff, was found guilty of stirring up racial and religious hatred on Wednesday.

Jenny Hopkins, of the Crown Prosecution Service, said: “The material Davison posted was clearly threatening, abusive and insulting. His intention can only have been to stir up religious and racial hatred.

“His defence that he regretted his actions and was drunk was rejected by the jury.

“This is a warning to people that posting material online can have damaging consequences for them offline.”

Davison will be sentenced at a later date for one count of publishing material with intent to stir up religious hatred and two counts of publishing material with intent to stir up racial hatred.

He was found not guilty of two further counts of stirring up religious hatred.

The case comes amid heightened concern over the far-right terror threat, which has been incorporated into government assessments for the first time.

Statistics released by the Home Office showed that more than half of a record number of religiously-motivated hate crimes were directed at Muslims in 2017/18.

The number of people referred to the Prevent counter-extremism programme over suspected far-right extremism has rocketed by 36 per cent in the same period.

British security services say Isis-inspired groups and individuals pose the biggest threat to the UK, but five right-wing terror plots have been foiled since March 2017.

The Independent.

Jay Davison, 38, posted two photos on Instagram of himself bare-chested holding what appeared to be a shotgun and posted a series of anti-Islamic comments

Jay Davison, 38, was found guilty of inciting racial and religious hatred (Image: Wales News Service)



A man who posed with a gun and posted offensive and racist comments on social media has been found guilty of inciting racial and religious hatred.

Jay Davison, 38, posted two photos on Instagram of himself bare-chested holding what appeared to be a shotgun and posted a series of anti-Islamic comments .

These included references to the Nazi terms “Heil” and “Aryan” and referred to the Islamic god Allah as a “c***”.

The comments themselves included the phrase “f*** Allah” and the term “‘f*** you racist Allah c****”.

The self-employed electrician also posted: “Ever seen a white man cut a head off? No because they’re f****** scum. Heil, heil, heil, heil, f*** Allah c***” and “When has an Aryan cut another man’s head off?”.

The posts came to light after one of Davison’s followers took a screenshot of the pictures and comments and posted them to a separate WhatsApp group.

Another member of that group was concerned Davison was threatening violence towards the Muslim community and reported the posts to the police.

A trial at Cardiff Crown Court heard that Davison, of Rhiwbina , Cardiff , was a recovering alcoholic who claimed to have posted the messages while heavily intoxicated. He denied being a racist or anti-Muslim.

Giving evidence during the trial he said: “It was terrible judgement on my behalf and I should not have posted it. It was drunken stupidity. When I am sober I am a completely different person.

“I was at a low ebb, rock bottom, I had no self-esteem and was seeking attention from others.”

On Wednesday a jury took just over an hour to return their verdicts. Davison was found guilty of one count of inciting religious hatred and two counts of inciting racial hatred. He was found not guilty of two counts of inciting religious hatred.

Davison’s barrister asked Judge Tracey Lloyd-Clarke to adjourn his client’s sentencing for a pre-sentence report to be carried out and for Davison to be bailed so he could “get his affairs in order”.

Addressing the defendant, Judge Lloyd-Clarke said: “You have been convicted of a number of serious offences and an immediate custodial sentence is inevitable.

“I am going to order a pre-sentence report but I am going to remand you in custody.”

Davison, of Craig yr Allt, will appear at the same court for sentencing on Monday, September 23.

Wales Online

A yob who made headlines when he ripped a woman’s niqab from her face in Sunderland has been jailed after attacking a former female friend with a hammer.

Peter Scotter, 58, hit the woman on the head with the tool in a pub in Sunderland, causing a 5.5cm laceration to the top of her head after she spurned his advances.

At the time of the attack Scotter was on licence for racially aggravated common assault after he tore a headscarf from a Muslim woman in The Bridges shopping centre.

Scotter had told his victim, “you’re in our country now, get out”, and, “our Britain, you live by our rules”, as racial tension in the country ran high in the days after Britain voted to leave the EU.

He was jailed for 15 months before being released on licence.

Newcastle Crown Court heard how at around 10pm on September 3 last year Scotter entered The Charltons pub in Sunderland.

Harry Hadfield, prosecuting, told the court the victim regarded him as a friend until he asked her to be his girlfriend, after which she avoided him.

Mr Hadfield said: “She was standing at the bar and recalls the defendant spoke to her.

“What she felt was a painful blow to the top of her head and when she looked up what she saw was the defendant with a hammer in his hand.

“She was struck with a hammer, one blow, when they were face to face.”

Scotter was then escorted out by other people in the pub.

Mr Hadfield told the court that in her victim impact statement the woman had said she had done absolutely nothing to deserve the attack, felt he could have “killed her” and was now anxious to leave her home.

On July 3 2016 Scotter, who at the time had 70 previous convictions, had approached a 29-year-old Muslim woman while she waited for her husband outside a shop.

He then reached out and pulled her niqab veil from her head and threw it on the ground – exposing her face to the public.

The court heard how Scotter shouted, “take that off, you stupid Muslim”, along with other racist slurs and the victim was left exposed and scared by what happened to her.

In relation to the most recent case Anthony Hawks, defending, said: “It is important that the events be looked at against the background.

“The background is that despite what the complainant says, it is she who wanted to have a relationship with the defendant who is married. He declined that.”

Mr Hawks said that Scotter said she had begun a campaign, including posts on social media against him, which lead him to believe that she was responsible for intimidating his mother.

He told the court: “That’s what caused the red mist to descend and for him to behave in the way he did.

“Nothing can justify what the defendant did, it was a cowardly and disgraceful thing to do and the defendant knows that.”

He added that Scotter is working and has stayed out of trouble for the last year since the incident.

Scotter pleaded guilty to assault occasioning actual bodily harm and having an offensive weapon at an earlier hearing.

Mr Recorder Andrew Dallas sentenced Scotter, of Hendon Close, Sunderland, to 12-months imprisonment and said: “This was an extremely serious incident.

“It was not spontaneous, it was premeditated.

“You have an appalling record, especially for violence.”

Mr Recorder Dallas also put a five-year restraining order in place, preventing him from contacting the victim and ordered Scotter to pay a victim surcharge.`

Sunderland Echo

Fuller carried out the attack the day after 51 Muslims were killed in Christchurch, New Zealand



A knifeman who slashed a 19-year-old Bulgarian in a Tesco car park after praising the Christchurch terror attacker has admitted attempted murder.

Vincent Fuller, 50, thrust a blade through Dimitar Mihaylov’s car window in Stanwell, Surrey, on 16 March.

Prosecutors said the attack, a day after 51 Muslims were gunned down in New Zealand, was an act of far-right terrorism.

Fuller denies this, but accepts the stabbing was racially motivated.

Before the attack, Fuller declared support for Christchurch gunman Brenton Tarrant in a Facebook post.

“I am English, no matter what the government say kill all the non English and get them all out of our of England,” he wrote.

‘Kill Muslims’

The next day, Fuller approached Mr Mihaylov’s car and shouted “you are going to die” as he swiped at him through the open window, prosecutors said.

His victim sustained wounds to his hands and neck.

Before the car park stabbing, Fuller had approached the home of a neighbour – who is of south Asian descent – armed with a baseball bat.

He went on to indiscriminately attack occupied vehicles, and was reportedly heard shouting “white supremacy” and “I’m going to kill Muslims”.

His earlier guilty pleas to attempted murder and possession of a bladed article, can be reported after he admitted further charges at Kingston Crown Court.

He admitted affray and causing racially aggravated intentional harassment, alarm or distress.

Fuller, of Viola Avenue, Stanwell, will be sentenced on 5 September.

BBC News

A knifeman who slashed a 19-year-old Bulgarian in a Tesco car park after praising the Christchurch terror attacker has admitted attempted murder.

Vincent Fuller, 50, thrust a blade through Dimitar Mihaylov’s car window in Stanwell, Surrey, on 16 March.

Prosecutors said the attack, a day after 51 Muslims were gunned down in New Zealand, was an act of far-right terrorism.

Fuller denies this, but accepts the stabbing was racially motivated.

His earlier guilty pleas to attempted murder and possession of a bladed article, can be reported after he admitted further charges at Kingston Crown Court.

He admitted affray and causing racially aggravated intentional harassment, alarm or distress.

Fuller, of Viola Avenue, Stanwell, will be sentenced on 5 September.

BBC News

A white supremacist who admired Hitler and wanted to “hang the black race” was jailed and released after breaching the terms of his prison sentence by attending a National Front rally.

Lawrence Burns from Cambridge during his appearance at Crown Court in Cambridge last year

Lawrence Burn

Lawrence Burns, 25, of Coldham’s Lane, Cambridge, was found guilty of inciting racial hatred in a series of inflammatory Facebook posts in 2014.

He also “shared images of Hitler” and, later on, gave an inflammatory speech at a memorial demo for a US white supremacist.

Burns was jailed for four years, but the sentence was reduced to two-and-a-half-years by the Court of Appeal the same year because of his young age and “poor educational background”.

Cambridge Crown Court heard today (August 1) that after being released, he was spotted at a National Front rally on November 11 last year.

As part of his March 2017 sentence, he was also given a criminal behaviour order (CBO) which prevented him from attending rallies without notifying authorities three days before – which was still active after he was released.

He had not told the authorities he was going to be at the rally.

Burns was then imprisoned for breaching this condition in January this year, and had been in custody since.

A “foolish error”

At sentencing this afternoon, Burns admitted breaching the order – but his defence counsel Adrian Davies told Judge Jonathan Cooper it was not intentional and was a “foolish error.”

Mr Davies said Burns had complied with the CBO by not attending a political meeting after the rally.

In passing his sentencing, Mr Cooper said he was “sceptical” of Burns’ excuse – being the same judge who sentenced him in March 2017.

Mr Cooper said he considered Burns an “intelligent young man” after observing him during the trial.

Addressing Burns, he said: “I am going to impose a sentence upon you which will be a prison sentence which will result as a guarantee in your immediate release. If not today, tomorrow.

“I said to you at the time of the original sentence how important freedom of speech was, and also the expression of political opinions and that the CBO imposed was not in itself designed to thwart the proper exercise of those freedoms.

“It was made clear the CBO did not prevent you from attending political meetings, permission to attend political meetings, it required notice in order to monitor your conduct.

“So I am mindful of the fact that in this case the demonstration wasn’t illegal, nothing said was illegal, nothing said or done by you would have been a criminal offence apart that it breached the order.”

Burns was sentenced to six weeks in prison, half in custody – which he had already served on remand after his initial sentence expired on June 20.

He was therefore released from prison. The criminal behaviour order stood in place.

Burns was handed a printed sheet of the conditions so he could not make the excuse again.

Cambridge News