Trevor Vinson captured his abuse on a mobile phone
A man who filmed himself repeatedly sexually assaulting a three-year-old girl has been given a 21-year extended sentence for his crimes.
Trevor Vinson subjected the young child to months of abuse – which he captured on his mobile phone in dozens of pictures and videos.
The mother of the victim described the 38-year-old as a “monster” who had destroyed her family.
Vinson, from Tumble, Carmarthenshire , had previously pleaded guilty to six counts of sexual assault and three counts of producing indecent images of a child when he appeared in the dock of Swansea Crown Court for sentencing.
Catherine Richards, prosecuting, said that over the space of six months Vinson sexually assaulted his victim numerous times, taking pictures and videos of the abuse.
He also took naked pictures of the girl in various poses, and filmed her urinating.
The court heard that in one of the pictures the girl – who was three at the time – could be seen with her hands clenched, and covering her face.
The abuse came to light after she told her mother what had happened.
The prosecutor said that when police went to Vinson’s house on May 3 to arrest him, he asked if her could get changed first and managed to hide the mobile containing the incriminating images in the bag of a vacuum cleaner. It was found a week later.
In statement from the victim’s mum read to court, she said she had been “in a very dark place” since learning of the abuse her child had suffered.
She described Vinson, now of Valence Walk in Pembroke , as a “monster” who had destroyed her family, adding she was fearful that the images of her daughter had been shared online.
Paul Hobson, for Vinson, conceded it was a very serious case and that his client faced a substantial period in custody, adding the only real mitigation was the defendant’s guilty pleas.
Judge Keith Thomas told Vinson he had carried out “appalling acts” on a girl who, by virtue of her age, was extremely vulnerable.
He said he was satisfied Vinson posed a significant risk of causing serious harm in the future, and imposed an imposed an extended 21-year sentence – 15-years will be spent in custody, and six years on licence. Vinson will be on the sex offenders register for life, and be subject to a Sexual Harm Prevention Order to limit his access to children.
Speaking after the sentencing Dyfed-Powys Police detective inspector Elaine Bendle said: “I am pleased that Vinson has been sentenced and is no longer able to cause harm to the young victim or anyone else. This is a highly unusual case with evidence being obtained from such a young victim.
“The crimes he committed against this child were abhorrent and I must commend the detectives, digital crime investigators, police officers and staff who worked tirelessly to bring Vinson to justice.”
A spokesman for NSPCC Wales said Vinson’s crimes “will have caused untold damage to his young victim and her family”, adding that such abuse ruins childhoods.