Archive

Tag Archives: Sutton

A man has been left with an “annoying” click in his jaw when he eats after being attacked by “a feral group” on the streets of Mansfield.

One man has been jailed and three others given suspended terms after admitting affray following the Stockwell Gate attack at 3am on a Bank Holiday weekend Saturday in May last year.

Sentencing, Mr Recorder Stuart Sprawson said: “Nobody is safe when they walk the streets of Mansfield.”

Sitting at Nottingham Crown Court, he was shown a film of their attack on a man who was trying to get a taxi so a tipsy woman could get home.

The CCTV showed the man being punched, falling to the ground and then getting kicked before one of the attackers stamped on him.

Mr Recorder Sprawson said they mistakenly thought their victim had assaulted the woman and “took the law into their own hands”.

Described the men as “a feral group”, he said: “Nobody is safe when they walk the streets of Mansfield.

“You inflicted significant violence for your delight and pleasure.”

Joey Kwong, prosecuting, said their target had medical problems before the attack, but was left with cuts, bruises and damage to his jaw.

He said: “He had a cut lip and pain to the right side of the jaw. When he eats, the right side of the jaw clicks. It causes annoyance.”

Leon Payne, aged 27, of Blackwell Road, Sutton, who was already on a suspended sentence, was jailed for eight months.

Julia King, for Payne, said he threw the first punch, but missed before there was “a flurry of blows”.

She said: “He no longer goes out into Mansfield drinking. He is working seven days a week.”

Steven Anderson, 21, from Strawberry Bank, Sutton, was handed a 10-month prison term, suspended for two years. He was also given a three-month curfew to keep him at home on weekend nights and ordered to pay £240 costs and £100 compensation.

Sarah Phelan, for Anderson, told the court: “He is deeply ashamed and extremely embarrassed by his behaviour and wishes to apologise to the complainant.”

Paul Roberts, 27, of Lime Avenue, Sutton, who had never been in trouble before, was given a six-month prison sentence, suspended for 18 months. He must also obey a curfew for two months and pay £240 costs and £100 compensation.

Digby Johnson, for Roberts, said he threw three punches and was involved for “less than four seconds.”

He told the court Mansfield is a town where there is “sporadic violence every Saturday night, let alone every Bank Holiday”.

Finbarr Duffy, 26, of Warwick Street, Nottingham, was given an eight-month prison term, suspended for two years, as well as a curfew keeping him indoors every night for two months. He must also pay £50 to the victim and £50 costs.

Richard Posner, for Duffy, said: “It is fortunate no serious injury arose.

“He does not seek to use alcohol as an excuse. On viewing the CCTV, he felt sick and hated himself.”

Mansfield Chad

One of Sutton’s most wanted violent offenders was arrested this week after an undercover crime blitz led the borough’s top cop.

Christopher Brett, of Carshalton Road, Sutton, was arrested after Borough Commander Guy Ferguson launched a massive undercover operation to “disrupt and catch criminals”.

Dozens of plain-clothed officers, from Sutton’s Wanted Offender Team, flooded the High Street on Tuesday searching for outstanding suspects.

One officer spotted Brett, who was oblivious to the police presence around him, casually walking through the High Street.

The surprised 29-year-old was arrested on the spot and was held in custody until he appeared at Sutton Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday.

He was ordered to return on November 24 while probation reports were organised.

Borough Commander Guy Ferguson said: “This was a good result and criminals be warned: these impromptu operations will be repeated over the coming weeks and months.

“Sutton is a low crime borough and a safe borough and we are determined to keep it that way.”

Brett was wanted by police after he dodged a separate magistrates’ court hearing in September.

Despite being absent from court that day, he was found guilty of causing actual bodily harm to a 41-year-old man at a Carshalton party in May.

Supt Phil Willis, the officer leading Operation Holly, said: “The arrest of this wanted man was a good piece of police work and showed that officers have a good knowledge of outstanding suspects and are committed to catching offenders.”

The impromptu police operation coincided with the launch of Operation Holly to disrupt criminal activity and keep Sutton safe during the festive party season.

Sutton Guardian

CPB