Tag Archives: Sexual Grooming

Bradley Daniel Alford was caught by undercover police in a sting – but he had already targeted girls as young as 10 and had nude pictures on his phone.

A paedophile arranged to meet a 13-year-old girl for sex at Weston-super-Mare’s Grand Pier, just hours after he had appeared in court.

But the ‘victim’ Bradley Alford had been grooming was an undercover police officer – and he was arrested in the seaside town on September 15.

The 19-year-old, of Drove Road, Weston-super-Mare, had appeared in court on the morning of his arrest, having pleaded not guilty to other offences.

But what Alford did not realise was that the ‘girl’, called Jade, was in fact an undercover police officer, who had recorded all of their online conversations.

He appeared at Bristol Crown Court on Friday, December 1, to be sentenced for a range of offences which included possession of indecent photos of children, attempting to meet a child, inciting a child to send sexual images and inciting a child to engage in sexual intercourse.

Bradley Daniel Alford was sentenced at Bristol Crown Court on December 1, 2017

Bradley Daniel Alford was sentenced at Bristol Crown Court on December 1, 2017

It emerged during the sentencing hearing that police first learned of Alford’s sexual offending when he was arrested following a stabbing at a house party in Bristol in July 2016.

He had used a kitchen knife during a street fight with another teenager, after the pair had argued on social media site Facebook.

While in police custody, officers examined Alford’s phone and found images of young girls posing naked or semi-naked.

Investigators also downloaded his internet history, which revealed he had visited various child pornography websites, and there was evidence of Alford inciting girls – one of whom was only 10 years old – to engage in online sexual activity.

Prosecutor Robin Shellard said: “They were clearly at school and Mr Alford wanted to meet them for sexual purposes knowing their age, and knowing that was under the age of 16.

“A number of girls were spoken to by police but because of their age, because of their embarrassment, not all were frank with what messages had passed between them – which is understandable.”

After his initial arrest, police bailed Alford but suspected he may still be contacting underage girls – and so decided to set up a surveillance operation.

Officers set up a fake Facebook profile for a 13-year-old girl called Jade, who added the defendant online and started messaging him.

Very quickly, the conversation became sexual – as the defendant started demanding images and trying to arrange a meet-up.

Mr Shellard added: “They discussed meeting and Mr Alford asked her to wear something cute or her school uniform.

“He also asked her for some of her underwear to keep, and said he wanted to make pornographic films to sell.

“On September 15, he travelled to Weston-super-Mare so they could meet up. When the police appeared, he ran off but was detained after a short chase. He answered no comment to all questions.”

In response, defence barrister Robert Morgan-Jones said his client was a young man who had been raised without a mother under the auspices of social services.

“This is the first time he has ever spent time in custody,” Mr Morgan-Jones said.

“He is a young man who has a deficit in thinking skills, which is an area which requires work.”

Judge Peter Blair QC sentenced Alford to six years in a young offenders institution for both the stabbing incident and the sexual offences.

He also made Alford the subject of a sexual harm prevention order and a restraining order, banning him from contacting – directly or indirectly – any of his victims.

After the case, DC Paul Newell of Avon and Somerset police, said: “I’d like to commend all the young girls in this case for having the courage to come forward and speak to us about the offences committed against them.

“We hope the severity of the sentence given by the court shows how seriously offences like this are treated.

“Protecting young members of our society from predatory behaviour like this is one of our top priorities.

“Our message to all victims of sexual offences is that we’ll always listen to you, so please find the courage to come and speak to us so we can bring offenders like Bradley Alford to justice.”

A spokesperson for the NSPCC South West England added: “In attempting to meet what he thought was a child, Alford has shown himself to be a serious danger to children and it is right that he has now faced the courts for his actions.

“To help tackle the growing problem of online child abuse imagery, the NSPCC is calling on tech companies, government and law enforcement agencies to eradicate this growing issue at its source.”

Any adult worried about a child can call the NSPCC Helpline on 0808 800 5000. Help for children and young people is available from Childline on 0800 1111.

Bristol Post

CAUGHT OUT: Alan Boulter, left, being confronted by national paedophile hunters.

CAUGHT OUT: Alan Boulter, left, being confronted by national paedophile hunters.

TWO paedophile hunters trapped and filmed a man who thought he was meeting a vulnerable 13-year-old girl for sex after talking to her on Facebook.

He wanted some “naughty fun” and offered to pay the girl £50 for sex but she did not actually exist and instead he got a “nasty surprise” from the two vigilantes, a court heard.

The paedophile hunters streamed live coverage of their confrontation with the sexual predator on Facebook.

Alan Boulter, 52, of Pershore Avenue, Grimsby, admitted attempting to meet a child following sexual grooming between November 21 and December 20.

Megan Rhys, prosecuting, told Grimsby Crown Court that Boulter intended to meet a 13-year-old girl called Chloe that he believed he had been communicating with on Facebook.

But she did not exist and it was trap by a paedophile hunter who had set up fake profiles in the names of Shannon and Chloe.

He went to Grimsby railway station for the supposed meeting but was confronted by two vigilantes who filmed the encounter and streamed it live over Facebook to expose him.

This was seen by a neighbour of his, who was so concerned about his safety that she contacted the police, who went to his home. The vigilantes passed a disk of the internet conversations to the police.

Boulter told police he exchanged messages in a Facebook chatroom to the girl he thought was 13-year-old Shannon and the conversations became sexual.

He spoke about having sex with the girl but claimed that, once she told him she was 13, he was not interested in her sexually.

He chatted with Chloe for about a week and thought that both girls lived in the same care home in Doncaster.

He claimed that he received a telephone call from Chloe saying she was running away and a later call saying that she was at Grimsby railway station and was frightened.

Boulter claimed that his “intention was simply to take her home”, said Miss Rhys.

“It was dark and she was scared and he denied any sexual intentions to her.”

He was confronted at the station by the two men.

After the messages from the disk were downloaded, it emerged that he was after “naughty fun” and was looking for a female to come and see him for sex.

He asked her intimate questions and suggested things he would like to do to her. He wanted to have sex with her but she should not tell anyone because it was illegal. He would pay her £50 for this and would meet her at the station.

“She was not to come and see him if she didn’t want sex,” said Miss Rhys.

“There was nobody that actually existed for him to carry out the activity with, however.”

Julia Baggs, mitigating, said that Boulter made admissions, co-operated with police and understood the seriousness of the offence.

The ex-lorry driver had no previous convictions and worked in security for 16 years.

“He is ashamed and remorseful about his behaviour,” said Miss Baggs.

“It is fortunate that, on this occasion, there was no direct victim.”

Judge Mark Bury said: “It’s no thanks to him, though. He did everything he could to meet a 13-year-old girl.”

He told Boulter: “You went to Grimsby railway station intending to meet a 13-year-old child.

“You were under the impression that she was a vulnerable person in care and was running away and that she had come to meet you for sex.

“You got a nasty surprise when you arrived at the railway station.

“You were confronted by two men who filmed that confrontation.

“It’s clear that you were prepared to have sexual intercourse with a 13-year-old girl, possibly more than one.

“You offered to pay her. Of course, all of this was a scam. There was no 13-year-old girl but you did everything you could to make that happen.

“No harm has, in fact, been caused to any person. It’s clear that you intended very serious sexual offending against a child of 13.”

Boulter was jailed for 20 months and was given a 10-year sexual harm prevention order. He must register as a sex offender for 10 years.

Grimsby Telegraph









A 20-year-old man who groomed tragic schoolgirl Kayleigh Haywood, a few days before she was raped and murdered by someone else, has been given a three year and seven month detention sentence.

Bruce Cordwell, 20, was aware Kayleigh was 15 years old when he sent her a series of sexual text messages, and two indecent pictures of himself, when trying to meet her via Facebook and WhatsApp.

Kayleigh’s mother, Stephanie Haywood, sat in the public gallery today at Leicester Crown Court to hear the facts of the case outlined by prosecutor, Lynsey Knott.

Cordwell, of no fixed address, admitted at an earlier hearing attempting to arrange a meeting with Kayleigh, with the intention of having sexual intercourse with her, not reasonably believing she was 16 or over, between November 10 and 13, 2015.

Kayleigh never actually met up with Cordwell and was murdered at the hands of another, Stephen Beadman, on November 15, 2015.

Cordwell, who has two bright red lipstick kisses tattooed on the right side of his neck, kept his head bowed low in the dock throughout the proceedings.


Before sentencing, Judge Robert Brown told Mrs Haywood: “I’m told this case is completely unrelated to the events concerning the murder of your daughter.

“The prosecution have pointed that out from the outset, because there’s no connection between this man and the events leading the death by murder of your daughter and I must deal with the case on that basis.”

The judge told the defendant: “You knew that your victim, Kayleigh, was under 16 because that fact was established in the texts that went between you.

“You groomed her.

“Your intention was to meet her and to have sexual intercourse with her.

“You never actually met her and you hadn’t even agreed a date time or place of rendezvous.

“But this offending is child abuse and it calls for a custodial sentence and it must receive one.”

The judge told Cordwell it was “sad” to see someone of his age with 17 offences recorded against him including for drugs, violence, assaulting a police officer and possessing an offensive weapon – but he had no previous convictions for sexual matters.

He added: “I still take the view it’s a very serious matter.

“When children are abused they suffer all kinds of harm as the mother of this young lady knows only too well.”

Cordwell was placed on an indefinite sexual harm prevention order and will have to enlist on a sex offender register for life.

Miss Knott said that Cordwell made several suggestions to meet, including asking to see Kayleigh, of Measham, “before school.”

The pair exchanged about 100 messages on November 10 with the defendant making repeated requests for Kayleigh to go on a webcam, which she refused, and claiming he was “fitter and better” than her boyfriend.

He also asked her if she had had sex before, which she denied.

The court heard that Cordwell, described as “a problematic young man” sent Kayleigh two indecent pictures of himself and a sexually explicit message which Miss Knott said left the court in “no doubt about what he intended.”

Eugine Hickey, mitigating, said: “One suspects this is the type of chat that is happening daily across the country between teenagers.

“In clear terms the back story is the murder of Kayleigh Haywood which has no part of this case.

“During the thorough investigation into her murder the police went through her social media records.

“He was 19 at the time and she was 15; of course there’s criminality and he’s pleaded guilty.

“It’s not the type of grooming that so often comes before the courts.”

He said the last message Cordwell sent was on November 16, when he realised she was missing, saying: “You need to get home now. Your parents are worried sick about you. You’re only 15.”

Mr Hickey said: “That message perhaps says something about his moral compass and that he was concerned about her.

“No time or date was set for their meeting and no actual rendezvous was agreed.”

Bruce Cordwell, 20, was aware Kayleigh was 15 years old when he sent her a series of sexual text messages.

Bruce Cordwell, 20, was aware Kayleigh was 15 years old when he sent her a series of sexual text messages.

Last July, Kayleigh’s killer, landscape gardener Stephen Beadman, who raped and murdered her after holding her prisoner, was given a life sentence to serve a minimum of 35 years.

Kayleigh’s body was found by a lake near Sence Valley Forest Park, Ibstock, on November 18, five days after she went missing from her home in Measham, Leicestershire – after being dropped off outside Ibstock Community College.

Beadman, of George Avenue, Ibstock, admitted murdering Kayleigh.

She was groomed on Facebook by Beadman’s neighbour, Luke Harlow, who lured her to his home.

Beadman, aged 29, and Harlow, 28, were both convicted by a jury of falsely imprisoning Kayleigh in the hours before she was killed on farmland in the early hours of November 15.

Harlow, who was jailed for 12 years, pleaded guilty to grooming Kayleigh and engaging in sexual activity with her.

An NSPCC spokesman said afterwards: “Kayleigh was a vulnerable girl targeted by online predators searching for victims to abuse.

“Her tragic story shows the serious dangers that young people face every time they log on. It is vital that parents talk to their children about what they are doing online and are aware of the risks.

“And in 2015, the NSPCC’s Flaw in the Law campaign prompted the Government to make it illegal for an adult to send a sexual communication to an under 16-year-old.

“But almost two years later, the Government has yet to trigger the law, already successfully used to catch abusers in Scotland. It is an unacceptable and baffling delay.”

Leicester Mercury



A HUSBAND and wife are waking up behind bars after luring a Blackpool girl and keeping her in their home, where the man sexually abused her.

Michael Kinnear, 41, and Nicola Kinnear, 40, admitted detaining the 13-year-old in their terraced house on Fairfield Road in North Shore.

After being lured into the couple’s home with the promise of shelter and food, the youngster, who was in foster care, was sexually touched by Michael Kinnear.


A judge at Preston Crown Court described their actions as “classic grooming” and said they should have informed the authorities of her whereabouts.

Police began the hunt for the 13-year-old girl in April last year after her concerned Blackpool foster parents reported her missing.

The youngster was found six days later in Kinnear’s house.

Officers had already called at the house and been told she was not there.

DC Andy Rigby, from Blackpool Police and Blackpool Council’s Awaken Team, a project to tackle the exploitation of vulnerable children, said: “This young girl who was in foster care wasn’t happy with her placement and got introduced to these two through a mutual teenage friend.

“She was there for six days and they didn’t contact anybody, hence the child abduction. While there, Michael Kinnear has committed sexual activity with her.

“The judge described it as classic grooming – they gave her free reign and no rules, they fed and clothed her during the week.”

Police were able to track the teenager’s whereabouts after tracing a mobile phone she had used to call a missing person’s helpline to the Kinnears’ address.

DC Rigby added: “We visited their address, while knocking on doors, and they had denied all knowledge of anything. Then we traced the mobile phone to that address and when we went round again, they still denied it. “Eventually they said ‘she’s here’.

“She saw them in the first instance as a place of shelter, but clearly they had other ideas, hence the sentences.

“She wasn’t locked in the house, they just allowed her to stay there. It’s very important a message is sent out to children – nobody does anything for nothing. You have to take a step back and think ‘what is the ulterior motive’.”

The teenager has now left Blackpool and police say she has settled back into care and is “putting it behind her”.

Michael Kinnear was sentenced to 33 months in prison after pleading guilty to detaining a child so as to keep her from a person having lawful control and engaging in sexual activity with a child.

Nicola Kinnear was handed a 16-month jail term for detaining a child.

DC Rigby added: “This has been a complex and difficult investigation but I am pleased with the sentence.”

The couple did not plead guilty to the offences until the trial began. Michael Kinnear was placed on the sex offenders register for seven years and given a 10-year Sex Offenders Prevention Order.

Blackpool Gazette

A 37-year-old Hull man flew to Canada to meet a teenage girl he had been grooming on the Internet, a court heard.

When Brett Moses arrived in Vancouver, he then took an 11 hour bus journey to meet the 13-year-old in Grand Forks.

He was stopped by Canadian police following concerns by the parents of one of the girl’s friends.

Moses, a security guard in Hull, has now been given a 12-month prison sentence, suspended for two years, after earlier pleading guilty to sexual grooming.

Hull Crown Court heard that he first started speaking to the girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, on an Internet chat room in 2004.

He claimed to be a 13-year-old called John Smith and initially spoke to the girl’s father.

It was him who introduced Moses to his daughter, having heard claims of “John” being beaten and abused by a foster father.

The correspondence continued for seven or eight months, in which time Moses was introduced online to some of the 13-year-old’s friends.

It was June 2005 when Moses travelled to Canada.

On arrival to Grand Forks, he telephoned the 13-year-old girl, but got no reply.

He then called her friend, whose parents questioned Moses and went to meet him, asking to see identification.

The prosecution said Moses claimed to have lost his ID, saying he was Brian Patterson and that John Smith was his foster son, and had been too ill to travel.

Eventually Moses confessed to the authorities, was detained and deported to the UK, where he was met by British police.

This is Hull