Archive

Tag Archives: jailed

LONDON (Reuters) -British anti-Muslim activist Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, known by the pseudonym Tommy Robinson, on Monday was jailed for 18 months after he admitted contempt of court by breaching an injunction made after he was successfully sued for libel.

Yaxley-Lennon was sued for libel at London’s High Court by Syrian refugee Jamal Hijazi and in 2021 was ordered to pay damages.

He was also made subject to an injunction preventing him from repeating the libellous statements. Yaxley-Lennon appeared at London’s Woolwich Crown Court and admitted breaching the injunction.

Britain’s Solicitor General took legal action against Yaxley-Lennon over comments in online interviews and a documentary titled ‘Silenced’, which has been viewed millions of times and was played in London’s Trafalgar Square in July.

Aidan Eardley, a lawyer representing the Solicitor General, said Yaxley-Lennon had been found in contempt on three separate occasions and was jailed for it in 2019. He also has separate criminal convictions.

Yaxley-Lennon’s lawyer Sasha Wass said: “He acted in the way that he did, and he accepts his culpability, because he passionately believes in free speech, a free press and the overwhelming desire that he has to expose the truth.”

Wass also said that ‘Silenced’ had been “effectively commissioned” through U.S. conspiracy theorist Alex Jones’ Infowars company.

Judge Jeremy Johnson sentenced Yaxley-Lennon to 18 months, less three days spent in custody after he was arrested on Friday.

The judge said that four months could be removed from Yaxley-Lennon’s 18-month sentence if he tried to “purge” his contempt, including by taking down copies of ‘Silenced’.

Yaxley-Lennon was accused by some media and politicians of inflaming tensions which led to days of rioting across Britain at the end of July in the wake of the murder of three young girls at a dance workshop in Southport.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/uk-anti-islam-activist-tommy-robinson-jailed-for-breaching-injunction/ar-AA1t3ZNl

Two people have been jailed today, Friday 25 October, for Violent Disorder in Liverpool city centre and Southport.

Daniel Wilson, 19, of Birchen Road, Halewood, (above left) was jailed for one year and eight months for Violent Disorder (city centre) and Christopher Carney, 33, of Town Lane, Southport (above right) was jailed for two years and five months for Violent Disorder (Southport).

In addition two more people have been charged and a teenager arrested in connection with the ongoing investigations.

Brian Spencer, 40, of Lytham Road, Southport has been charged with Violent Disorder in Southport and Racially aggravated Public Order (in connection with a separate matter). Spencer has been bailed to appear at Liverpool Magistrates Court on Wednesday 20 November

A 16-year-old boy from Banks has been charged with Violent Disorder in Southport and Possession of Class B drugs. He has been conditionally bailed to appear at Merseyside Youth Court on Tuesday 12 November.

Another 16-year-old boy from Southport has been arrested on suspicion of Violent Disorder in Southport and also been conditionally bailed.

This brings the total arrests made so far to 139, with 96 people charged and 78 people sentenced to a total of 164 years and five months.

If you have any information about the disorder in Merseyside, you can contact us via Public Portal (mipp.police.uk) or anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Our latest gallery can be found here: CCTV appeal to help identify 74 people as part of investigation into violent disorder in Merseyside | Merseyside Police.

Merseyside Police

A far-right extremist has been jailed for 12 years after posting videos of an extreme right-wing nature on social media.

Gabriel Budasz, 24, of Drove Road in Weston-super-Mare, was sentenced at Winchester Crown Court on Thursday.

He had been found guilty of terror offences, after police seized books, masks and memorabilia of an extreme right-wing nature, as well as a 3D-printed firearm from his home in August 2023.

Judge Forster told the defendant: “You have no interest as to how your actions could have affected others.”

Prosecutors seized Budasz’s mobile and computer devices and found he used a number of social media sites under different usernames to post extreme right-wing material.

The court heard Budasz was living in supported accommodation, where he made videos that were broadcast on social media.

He dressed in robes and a mask to disguise his true identity and used props to encourage violence, including a 3D-printed plastic handgun made in his bedroom, the court was told.

The prosecutor Maryam Syed told the court today he was emulating Brenton Tarrant, who carried out mass shootings at mosques in New Zealand in 2019.
‘Lacks empathy’

His defence Tim Forte told Judge Forster that Budasz has a severe developmental disorder making him less mature than other men of his age.

He added that he only had 44 followers on social media, which was “not a large audience”.

The defence told the court that Budasz never left his accommodation with the 3D printed handgun.

He had educational difficulties growing up, leading to foster care.

“He lacks empathy, which speaks as to why he is here,” Mr Forte added.

However, Judge Forster said there was “no direct connection” between Budasz’s mental disorder and his offending, citing two expert witnesses who determined Budasz was “able to form an intent”.

Judge Forster told the defendant: “Your lack of insight is underlined by your description of your trial as being a ‘comedy show’, and your inability to understand the verdicts reached by the jury.”

Budasz was sentenced to 12 years in prison, followed by three years under licence.

BBC News

MICHAEL GOTT, also known as SKIN-VESP HEAD, aged 45, of South Avenue, Sherborne.

Admitted without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, had with him in a public place, namely West End Community Club, Sherborne, an offensive weapon, namely a knuckleduster.

Committed to prison for 4 weeks consecutive to offence number 4.

Weapon to be forfeited and destroyed.

Admitted committing a further offence during the operational period of a suspended sentence order. It is ordered that the suspended sentence be activated in full.

For original offence of assault by beating at Weymouth, suspended sentence of imprisonment of 20 weeks suspended for 12 months implemented concurrent.

For original offence of assault by beating at Weymouth, suspended sentence of imprisonment of 26 weeks suspended for 12 months implemented. The overall length of sentence is 30 weeks.

Dorset Echo

EX National Front supporter who is active in the recent demos around the south coast


Three men have been jailed after being part of the large-scale scenes of deplorable violence at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel in Manvers, Rotherham, on Sunday 4 August.

Gareth Lunn will have time to reflect on his abhorrent behaviour after he was jailed for violent disorder. Lunn, of Billingley View, Bolton-upon-Dearne, Barnsley, was captured on body-worn video swinging a bin at an officer, before picking up missiles and tossing them at the police cordon.

The 41-year-old’s despicable actions didn’t stop there as he was recorded in a group damaging windows at the front of the hotel, as well as seen throwing a shopping trolley at officers.

Lunn pleaded guilty to violent disorder at Barnsley Magistrates’ Court on 28 August. Yesterday (21 October) at Sheffield Crown Court, he was jailed for three years.

Michael Woods was recorded on body-worn video hurling abuse at officers, threatening that a nearby dog would ‘get’ an officer. The 64-year-old was seen aggressively shouting in officers’ faces.

Woods, of Ainsdale Avenue, Goldthorpe, Barnsley, handed himself into a police station after an image of him at the disorder was circulated in a media appeal. Remorseless, Woods denied any wrongdoing and when charged with violent disorder he retorted ‘don’t judge a book by its cover’.

Despite his refusal to accept he had done anything wrong, Woods pleaded guilty at Sheffield Magistrates’ Court on 19 August. He was jailed for two years.

Also present at the disorder was 24-year-old Scott Kendall who was seen launching missiles towards the lines of officers protecting the hotel and its occupants.

Kendall, of Sandymount Road, Wath-upon-Dearne, Rotherham, was identified after multiple members of the public recognised him in a police media appeal.

When questioned by officers, Kendall answered no comment. He pleaded guilty to violent disorder at Sheffield Magistrates’ Court on 24 August. Appearing on the same day at the same court as Lunn, Kendall was sentenced to two years in prison.

South Yorkshire Police

A man has been jailed for his role in the “disgraceful” disorder in the aftermath of the Southport stabbings.

A group of nearly 1,000 people were involved in unrest in Blackpool on 3 August, Lancashire Police said, with reports of widespread looting in Houndshill Shopping Centre.

Shane Taaffe Rhodes, of Lindale Gardens, Blackpool, was involved in disorder on the Promenade and later joined in an attack on JD Sports in the shopping centre, police said.

The 20-year-old, who pleaded guilty to violent disorder at an earlier hearing, was jailed at Preston Crown Court for 27 months.

Taaffe Rhodes was seen attempting to conceal his identity during the disorder by putting a face covering over the lower part of his face, police said.

Assistant Chief Constable Phil Davies said: “Taaffe Rhodes chose to play a part in the disgraceful scenes in Blackpool, and I welcome the custodial sentence passed on him.

“Violent disorder will not be tolerated in our county and we will bring those who take part in it to justice.

“Several people have been sent to prison for the disorder in Blackpool on 3 August, and more will be brought before the courts in the coming weeks and months.”

BBC News

A self-confessed ‘racist and fascist’ teenager who pleaded guilty to terrorism and assault offences has been sentenced to ten years and four months at Winchester Crown Court today.

Alex Hutton, 19, who held extreme racist, transphobic and homophobic views attacked a transgender woman using mixed martial arts moves that left the victim hospitalised and with the imprint of his trainer on her face.

Hutton was subject to a Criminal Behaviour Order restricting his use of the internet and mobile phones after previous convictions for possessing terrorist documents and publishing statements that encouraged terrorism.

Police used their powers under the Criminal Behaviour Order to investigate his phone use and found he had distributed a litany of extreme videos, which encouraged and glorified acts of terrorism. These included references to ‘cleansing London’ of non-whites and Islamophobic, anti-Semitic, homophobic and transphobic messages. He also shared Nazi extremism and racist videos from the Ku Klux Klan, and bragged about planning terrorist attacks.

He shared messages on Instagram and messaging app Telegram where he spoke of wanting to kill anybody who wasn’t white.

Bethan David, Head of Counter Terrorism Division at the Crown Prosecution Service, said: “Alex Hutton is not simply a fantasist that held extreme views, he is a dangerous young man.

“His unprovoked attack was driven by hate and he poses a substantial risk to other groups and society as a whole.

“He celebrated terrorist acts of white supremacy and encouraged his friends and associates on various social media and messaging platforms to join him in his extreme and disturbing views.

“The CPS will always prosecute those who encourage acts of terrorism and hate to protect the public.”

Detective Chief Inspector Leanne Williams, Head of Investigations at Counter Terrorism Policing Wales, said: “We welcome the outcome of this case. Alex Hutton, motivated by hate, engaged in a horrendous and unprovoked attack on a defenceless young girl who was minding her own business one afternoon in a Swansea park in May 2023.

“There is no doubt that the attack will have lasting effects on this young person and I really hope today’s outcome provides her with some comfort.

“Furthermore, Hutton demonstrated a clear intention to spread his hatred across the internet encouraging acts of terrorism. Officers from Counter Terrorism Policing Wales uncovered his actions during a detailed investigation, which then led us to the assault that took place earlier in the year.

“I hope he now uses the time in custody to reflect on his actions, with a view to leading a far more productive life upon his eventual release.”

CPS

Joshua Witts was in Nottingham when rival groups clashed in Old Market Square

The latest protester to appear in court following a face-off between rival groups in Nottingham’s Old Market Square is also a convicted burglar. Joshua Witts was one of eight people arrested and charged when far-right supporters congregated in Old Market Square and were met by a counter-protest near the Brian Clough statue on Saturday, August 3.

During the Nottingham incident, disorder threatened to boil over as the two opposing groups were separated by Nottinghamshire Police . Today, Tuesday, August 20, the 36-year-old, of Long Eaton, pleaded guilty to a public order offence in relation to the incident when he appeared from custody at Nottingham Magistrates’ Court.

But Sanjay Jerath, prosecuting, said Witts is also due to be sentenced at Southern Derbyshire Magistrates’ Court next week for burgling a property in Station Road, Sandiacre, on February 22, this year.

He said the defendant, of Firs Street, has already pleaded guilty to that charge and a pre-sentence report has been prepared ahead of a sentencing hearing in Derby on the afternoon of August 27.

Therefore, District Judge Sunil Khanna adjourned all matters to be heard in front of District Judge Andrew Meachin next week and remanded him into custody until then.

Previously, Victoria Gray, 42, of High Lane East, West Hallam, has been sentenced for her part in the disorder. After being arrested she shouted a series of racist and homophobic comments and then spat on one of the officers arresting her. The court was told she had also been in possession of pepper spray, which is illegal to carry in a public space.

Gray pleaded guilty to all five charges and was given a six-month prison sentence, suspended for 12 months and ordered to attend 15 days of rehabilitation activity. She was also fined £200 for the racially aggravated harassment, an increase from £100 as it was identified as a hate crime.

Another protester, Kevin Musgrave, 37, also of High Lane East, West Hallam, was handed a 12-week suspended prison sentence and 100 hours of unpaid work after pleading guilty to assaulting an emergency worker and criminal damage.

The remaining people charged following the protests in Nottingham are:

Antony Chadwick, 36, of Nuthall Road, Leen Valley, Nottingham – charged under Section 4 of the Public Order Act 1986
Ibrahim Omar, 24, of Glapton Road, The Meadows, Nottingham – charged with possession of a Class B drug
Dominic Lane, 46, of Repton Road, Bulwell – charged under Section 4 of the Public Order Act 1986
Owen Lawrence, aged 18, of no fixed address. Charged under Section 4 of the Public Order Act 1986
Mervin Lewis, aged 40, of Oughton Close, Edwalton. Charged under Section 4 of the Public Order Act 1986

In a previous statement following the disturbances, Deputy Chief Constable Steve Cooper said: “The vast majority of the public who attended carried out their right to protest in a peaceful manner. Those who were intent on causing problems were dealt with robustly.

“It should be repeated that anyone who comes into the city or our neighbourhoods over the coming days to cause any kind of disorder can expect a robust response from us. It simply won’t be tolerated.”

Nottingham Post

A man who threatened to use a dog to attack police officers outside a South Yorkshire hotel during rioting has been jailed for two years.

Large-scale disorder saw more than 60 police officers left injured when the Holiday Inn Express in Manvers, Rotherham, was attacked on 4 August.

Michael Woods, 64, was captured on body-worn video telling police the animal would “get you” if the officers hit him with their batons, Sheffield Crown Court heard.

Woods, of Ainsdale Avenue, Goldthorpe, previously pleaded guilty to a charge of violent disorder.

During a short video played to the court, Woods is seen shouting at officers while standing next to a man with a dog.

The officers are standing in front of the hotel during the footage, with some of the building’s windows pictured broken.

More than 200 asylum seekers and about 25 members of staff were inside the hotel at the time.

“Police were trying to bring the increasingly hostile crowds under control,” prosecutors told the court.

During the footage, Woods tells an officer: “I live here mate, go back to where you’ve come from.

“We live here, have some respect for English people young man, you are a disgrace to society.”

“You hit me, it gets you,” he adds, referring to the dog.

There was no physical violence from the defendant, his defence barrister told the hearing.

Addressing Woods, The Recorder of Sheffield, Judge Jeremy Richardson KC, said: “I cannot ignore the fact you were part of the larger group indulging in this major civil disorder.”

“It was ignorant – it was not only offensive, it was also threatening in the midst of major public disorder.”

A second man, 24-year-old Scott Kendall, was also sentenced to two years in prison after admitting violent disorder.

The father-of-one, of Sandymount Road, Wath-upon-Dearne, was filmed throwing a bottle towards police officers while they protected themselves with riot shields.

References sent to the court from his employer described him as a “much liked” member of a plastering company, the court heard.

The judge asked Kendall’s barrister: “What on Earth is a young man like this doing?”

“He’s thrown away his good character,” the barrister replied.

Addressing Kendall, the judge added: “What a dreadful example you are to [his son].”

BBC News

A man has been jailed for violent disorder during a riot over the summer.

Alfie Holdsworth, 20, from Gateshead, was sentenced to 14 months in prison at Teesside Crown Court.

Cleveland Police said he had been seen kicking a lone victim twice while he was on the ground, during a night of disorder in Middlesbrough on 4 August.

The unrest had spread from an afternoon protest at the town’s cenotaph, and was described by officers at the time as “staggering”.

BBC News