Archive

Tag Archives: jailed

Scott Greenwood admitted setting light to a generator outside a hotel housing more than 200 asylum seekers during rioting in Rotherham in August.



A rioter who set fire to a generator as a mob besieged a hotel housing asylum seekers has been jailed for six years.

Scott Greenwood, 34, was filmed throwing wood on the fire during the disorder at the Holiday Inn Express at Manvers, near Rotherham, on August 4, Sheffield Crown Court heard on Tuesday.

Judge Jeremy Richardson KC described how Greenwood was part of a group that set fire to items around a disused generator and then fed the blaze with fencing smashed down from nearby gardens.

Judge Richardson said the fire was not as serious as another blaze started earlier that afternoon outside the fire door of the hotel, but the “vigorous” blaze still posed a serious danger to police and to residents in the houses behind the generator.

The court heard that Greenwood was later spotted at the forefront of a mob taunting a line of riot police and stoked a grass fire which had been lit to create a smoke hazard for the officers.

The judge heard that the defendant was easily identified when he took off his shirt and tied it round his face and also because of a distinctive St George’s flag bucket hat he was wearing.

Judge Richardson said the hat gave the lie to the defendant’s claims that he had no racist intent when he attended the disorder at the hotel.

He told Greenwood: “I’m entirely satisfied you went to the area of the hotel with a view to participating in racist mob violence.

“You took a hat and wore that hat which undoubtedly had racist connotations.”

The judge added: “From first to last, the venom of racism infected the entirety of what occurred.

“It’s a very sad state of affairs that that flag, and on occasions the Union flag, has been appropriated by racists such as you.

“Immigration is a legitimate matter for public and political debate. Public protest is a legitimate form of public expression.

“We live in a democratic country where public debate and freedom of expression are entirely acceptable.

“What took place in Rotherham that day had nothing whatsoever to do with legitimate public protest. It was a desire to perpetrate mob rule.”

Judge Richardson ruled that Greenwood, who has had 44 previous court appearances covering 103 separate offences, is “dangerous” and would therefore be subject to an extended sentence.

He said this meant a six-year prison term followed by an extended licence period of three years.

Greenwood, of Tingle Bridge Lane, Hemingfield, South Yorkshire, admitted violent disorder and arson being reckless as to whether life was endangered at a previous hearing.

He stood in the glass-fronted dock as he was sentenced flanked by a security guard.

Judge Richardson told him: “You are a dangerous offender. History could repeat itself.”

Greenwood is the latest of more than 70 men who have been jailed after the rioting at the hotel.

The court heard that the 240 residents were trapped on the upper floors of the building as rioters broke in and started a fire in a bin at one of the exits, filling the hotel with smoke.

Staff have described how they barricaded themselves into a safe room, fearing they would die.

More than 60 police officers were injured in the disorder, the court heard.

Irish Times

A man has been jailed for four-and-a-half years after a police officer’s nose was broken during violent disorder in Southport.

Sean Beech, 55, of Len Cox Walk, Manchester, was captured on CCTV during the disorder in Southport on 30 July.

Beech was seen to grab hold of the office’s baton, which hit the officer in the face, breaking his nose.

Beech then threw the baton towards a line of officers and pushed and attempted to trip over another police officer.

He was sentenced on Friday (22 November) to a total of 54 months in prison – 40 months for Violent Disorder, 14 months to run consecutively for s20 assault and 3 months to run concurrently for assaulting an emergency worker.

It is the longest prison sentence to date for anyone convicted of being involved in the violent disorder in Southport.

It brings the total number of arrests to 151 with 107 people charged and 82 sentenced to a total of 172 years and seven months.

Detective Inspector Paula Jones said: “This was a shocking attack on a police officer which resulted in him suffering a broken nose.

“It is right that Beech should be brought to justice for his actions and receive a significant prison sentence.

“We will continue to put those responsible before the courts and would encourage anyone with information to keep coming forward.”

Merseyside Police

Leon Armstrong was at several places when disturbances broke out in Hull city centre, the court heard

A man who took part in scenes of “mass stupidity” during disturbances in Hull city centre in August got carried away with a “group mentality” and has now been jailed.

Father-of-three Leon Armstrong was later shown a social media post about the police trying to find more of the people who took part in the “12 hours of mob violence” and he handed himself in the next day, Hull Crown Court heard.

Armstrong, 33, of Holderness Road, east Hull, admitted violent disorder on August 3.

The court heard that Armstrong was present in several places when disturbances broke out in Hull city centre, including in Ferensway, where there was a police line outside the Royal Hotel to protect asylum seekers being housed there.

He was also in Queen Victoria Square and Jameson Street, where a group lunged forward towards police and he encouraged another person to grab the shields of officers.

Armstrong played a leading role in the trouble and his behaviour was motivated by racial hostility, the court heard.

He had a long history of crime, including offences of wounding, assault causing actual bodily harm, assault, possessing weapons, threatening behaviour, criminal damage, harassment, racially aggravated disorder and possessing drugs with intent to supply.

Stephen Robinson, mitigating, said it was a serious incident but Armstrong cooperated with the police investigation and handed himself in.

“A post was put on a social media site showing further people that the police wanted to find,” said Mr Robinson. “A friend pointed out that he was on that and, the very next day, he handed himself in at the police station and he made admissions during interview.

“His apologies and expression of regret are genuine because he handed himself in. There was cooperation and there were expressions of regret.

“Little useful can be said about why he was there. He went to attend a protest. It didn’t turn out to be what he thought it would be but, rather than leave, he got caught up in a group mentality.”

Armstrong was most recently before a court in 2022 and he had got himself a job, training as a dock worker and gaining qualifications. “He has been doing that for two years and it gave him a purpose,” said Mr Robinson. “He had just started to sort himself out.

“He enjoyed the work. He has lost that job, of course. It is sad that, when he has managed to sort himself out, he got involved in this mass stupidity. He has paid a penalty already.

“He accepts that there will be further punishment to come in terms of the sentence to be imposed. He was not one of the more heavily involved individuals.”

Judge John Thackray KC told Armstrong: “Your offending formed part of 12 hours of racist, hate-fuelled mob violence. During those 12 hours of mob violence, immeasurable harm was caused to this city and to people. Huge financial costs were caused to the city and to businesses.”

There was “utterly deplorable public disorder” involving huge numbers of people, racist chanting and determined attacks upon the police.

“You were close by when missiles were being thrown at police officers who were there to protect asylum seekers,” said Judge Thackray. “Your history of previous convictions goes back many years, with relevant offences of violence and damage.”

Armstrong, who was already in custody on remand, was jailed for two years and eight months.

Hull Daily Mail

Marcus Ramsden will miss his son’s first birthday

A dad who took part in the Hanley riots is missing his son’s first birthday after being locked up for two years for spitting at police. Marcus Ramsden was invited to the Hanley riots by friends and family.

CCTV footage captured the 22-year-old – from Latebrook Close, in Goldenhill – shouting, swearing and spitting at police officers on Town Road.

Fiona Cortese, prosecuting, told Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court: “Disorder took place on August 3 and police were deployed to Hanley to keep opposing groups away from each other. Police officers were assaulted during the incident, they were the subject of violence and abuse, and projectiles were thrown. This resulted in serious physical injury, fear, distress and disruption. There were costs to businesses. It had a detrimental effect on the community. There was racial hostility by protesters in general because it was a busy public area, there was clearly alcohol involved, and people were throwing things.

“Two clips show Mr Ramsden spitting at officers. Mr Ramsden was arrested on August 22, he gave a prepared statement and said he was invited by friends and family, is not racist, and doesn’t hold racist opinions. He admitted spitting at the police shield and says he was caught up in the moment and was struck by a brick himself.”

Ramsden pleaded guilty to violent disorder and two counts of assaulting an emergency worker. The Hanley riots were triggered by the deaths of three children at a dance studio in Southport.

Emily Calman, mitigating, said: “Mr Ramsden fully accepts that his behaviour was appalling but his anger towards the police was because he doesn’t think they are doing enough to protect young girls, particularly the ones in Southport. He isn’t throwing things at police officers, but he should have left when he knew the violence was escalating.”

Judge Graeme Smith interjected: “Mr Ramsden suggested Muslims are ‘rapists’ – that had nothing to do with Southport.”

Ms Calman replied: “He shouldn’t have been acting in that way and fully accepts that. He has enrolled in anger management therapy and has spoken to his GP about his emotions.”

Judge Graeme Smith told Ramsden: “Violence was fuelled by misinformation and far-right sentiment spread across the nation. Asylum seekers were targeted, injuries were sustained, and there was damage to communities.

“It is up to the police to protect the public from this attack. On and around Town Road there is a mosque and this was a Saturday when members of the public were out shopping, eating, and enjoying leisure time and you decided to take part in the violence.

“I have no doubt many who attended the protest conducted so peacefully, but regretfully, many were not. Weapons were used on both sides, missiles were thrown by both sides, and police officers and protesters were injured. It is a public duty to keep the peace and there was widespread violent public disorder.

“There were threats of violence to people or property. This was unlawful activity that would have resulted in serious fear, distress, and destruction. There was substantial risk of livelihood to businesses and the public purse.”

Stoke Sentinel

We are welcoming the latest court result following Violent Disorder in Merseyside, the 82nd person sentenced so far.

Liam Lewis, 27, of Sandway Crescent, Norris Green, was jailed for two years and eight months for Violent Disorder and Burglary other at Liverpool Crown Court today, Wednesday 20 November.

On Saturday 3 August, Lewis was found to have been involved in Violent Disorder that occurred in Liverpool City Centre following the tragic events in Southport days earlier. He was seen to break up bricks before throwing them at police officers. Lewis was then seen letting off a fire extinguisher on the public highway, before using it to force entry to a phone repair shop in Church Street.

Speaking following the sentencing, Detective Inspector Paula Jones said: “The scenes of violence, criminal damage and looting we saw over the summer were disgraceful, and we are pleased to see another offender facing the consequences of their actions.

“To use misinformation as some kind of excuse to target members of the public, businesses and the emergency services is inexcusable, and caused emotional and material damage to communities shocked but standing together in the face of tragedy.

“We will continue to put those responsible before the courts, and would encourage anyone with information to keep coming forward.”

A total of 151 arrests have now been made, with 105 charged and 82 people now sentenced to 168 years and one month.

Anyone with information to assist our ongoing investigations is asked to contact us via Public Portal (mipp.police.uk) or anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Merseyside Police

A former soldier who posted a series of anti-Islamic messages on Facebook has been jailed.

Daffron Williams, 41, of Tonypandy, Rhondda Cynon Taf, wrote: “Civil war is here. The only thing missing is bullets, that’s the next step.”

Cardiff Crown Court was told the Iraq and Afghanistan veteran, who has PTSD, sent the messages before and after three girls were stabbed to death at a Taylor Swift themed dance class in Southport in July, sparking riots.

Williams, who pleaded guilty to stirring up racial hatred, was sentenced to two years, half of which will be spent in prison, with the other half on licence.

BBC News

A man has been jailed for making threats to burn down mosques in a TikTok video posted in the wake of rioting over the summer.

James Aspin, of Blyth, in Northumberland, shared the video on 8 August during unrest in the country after three young girls were stabbed to death in Southport on 29 July.

Appearing at Newcastle Crown Court, the 34-year-old admitted stirring up religious hatred.

Jailing Aspin for 20 months, Her Honour Judge Scott said the words he had used in the video were “hugely offensive and dangerous” and described asylum seekers in a “despicable way”.

The court heard Aspin, of Briardale Road, had 931 followers on the social media platform and his video, which was just under four minutes long, was shared five times.

In it he said he was going to “burn down every mosque in Newcastle”.

After he was arrested, Aspin told police he was drunk and that the video was “just a rant”.

The court also heard psychological reports had described Aspin as “easily led” and “educationally limited”.

Judge Scott said an aggravating factor in his crime was the timing, when there was widespread violence in the country and a “particularly sensitive social climate”.

BBC News

You can read the sentencing remarks here

A man who launched a “violent and unprovoked attack” on a bus driver during a riot in Manchester has been jailed.

Jack Cregan, 32, told police he had been committing crime in Derbyshire when violent disorder broke out in Oldham Road in Newton Heath on 31 July so they had got the wrong man.

But videos on his mobile phone, which he had hidden but left on vibrate, showed he had been there.

He was sentenced to two and a half years.
‘Shouted and goaded’

Analysis of the mobile phone showed Cregan, of Argyll Close, Failsworth, was on Oldham Road during the riot.

GMP said they found his phone taped under a kitchen cabinet at his home after he left it on vibrate, saying “all it took was one phone call to unravel his lies”.

So far 20 people have been sentenced for disorder at Newton Heath, it added.

Another man, Colin Brown, 37, was jailed for two years and four months for his role in a riot in Piccadilly Gardens in the city on 3 August.

Brown pleaded guilty to violent disorder and robbery.

GMP said he was in the group that breached the metal barriers and shouted and goaded other protests groups and stole a scarf after pulling it from someone’s face.

He was also part of a group that attacked a man, the force said.

Det Ch Insp Jill Billington said officers were committed to protecting communities, and was continuing to investigate those involved in “deplorable and unnecessary violence”.

BBC News

A man who sprayed four police officers with a fire extinguisher at a hotel housing asylum seekers has been jailed for 20 months.

Steven Tiquin, 41, went to Potters International Hotel in Aldershot, Hampshire, on 3 August, three days after a violent mass protest, Salisbury Crown Court heard.

Finding no demonstrators there, he sprayed the officers, threw a bike, pulled an inspector’s tie and challenged him to a fight, the court was told.

Tiquin previously pleaded guilty to four counts of assaulting emergency workers, a charge of affray and a racially aggravated public order offence.

More than 200 people shouted abuse, banged on windows and set off flares at the previous protest at the hotel on 31 July.

It was part of “rioting that swept England following the murders of three little girls in Southport”, Judge Rufus Taylor told the court.

He said police were at the hotel making inquiries three days later when Tiquin arrived and “decided to make a statement”.

The scaffolder, who had been drinking, shouted “they shouldn’t be here” and “they’re going to rape our children” as well as verbally abusing the officers, the judge said.

The defendant sprayed an inspector in the mouth, hit a constable and repeatedly tried to bite the officers after being pinned to the ground, the court heard.

Two of the officers suffered minor injuries, while children inside the hotel were “petrified”, the judge said.

Barrister Lucy Conroy, defending, said the father of one was “exceptionally remorseful and embarrassed… by his own stupidity”.

Tiquin, of Grosvenor Road, gave the judge a thumbs up when the sentence was read out.

BBC News

Two men have been sentenced for their involvement in rioting outside a Staffordshire hotel.

Danny Hollick, 41, from Tamworth, was sentenced to two years and two months in prison and Ian Green, 55, from Kettlebrook, Tamworth, was jailed for two years.

Both were sentenced at Stafford Crown Court on Monday after previously admitting violent disorder.

It brings the total number of people charged over this summer’s violence in Staffordshire to 63, with 45 convicted and 29 sentenced, according to Staffordshire Police.

The force said Hollick threw a large rock at an officer in Tamworth on 4 August and repeatedly challenged those on the front line.

Meanwhile, Green told people to target the doors of the Holiday Inn Express in Tamworth, and repeatedly obstructed police who were on the front line on 4 August.

A spokesperson for Staffordshire Police said the force was continuing to trawl through evidence to bring action against people responsible for the violent disorder both in Stoke-on-Trent on 3 August and in Tamworth on 4 August.

They appealed to members of the public to contact them with any information which may help their investigations.

BBC News