Archive

Tag Archives: Hendon

A Sunderland thug has been jailed for his part in violence which broke out in Westminster and made headlines across the country.

But it’s not the first time Daniel Allan has found himself in trouble; the thug has over 110 convictions.

The 35-year-old, who lives in Ridley Terrace in Hendon, has now been sentenced to 28 months in prison Southwark Crown Court, after pleading guilty to violent disorder at Westminster Magistrates’ Court.

He had travelled to the capital on June 13 to join in a demonstration held in Parliament Square.

Clashes broke out between protestors – who said they were protecting monuments from damage they feared would be caused by anti-racism campaigners – and police officers.

Allan was seen at 3.15pm that day, kicking a police sergeant in the back, knocking him to the ground in Bridge Street, just next to the Houses of Parliament.

The Metropolitan Police said footage of the attack was shared widely on social media, and a short time later, “officers recognised Allan due to his distinctive coloured clothing” which turned out to be a pair of luminous shorts.

He was arrested by City of London Police and later charged.

The Met Police has said the officer he struck was left with bruising to his back and was able to recover at home.

Home Secretary Priti Patel said 38 officers had been hurt during the disorder.

Back in February 2017, Newcastle Crown Court heard Allan had threatened to burn down a former partner’s home, threatening to take children hostage after smashing his way into her home and grabbing her phone.

Their ordeal happened after he had made 50 unanswered calls to the woman before he turned up drunk at her door early one January morning.

Police turned up and soon arrested Allan, who had been trying to hide in a nearby lane.

As he was sentenced 12 months after admitting burglary, the court was told at that stage he had 110 previous offences on his record.

His barrister said Allan believed his drink had been spiked and had been left distraught at the end of the relationship with the woman and had not gone to the house to steal anything.

Sunderland Echo



Four men jailed over a back lane attack which left an uncle and nephew fearing they would be killed were like “a marauding pack”.

Newcastle Crown Court heard the disturbance happened in the lane behind Peel Street, Hendon, and followed on from a demonstration in support of an alleged sex attack victim last September.

Sean Ruffell.

Sean Ruffell.

Two Asian men were drawn into the back lane by the sound of their cars being damaged, including a brick being thrown through a window, with repairs running to £1,100.

The court was told they could hear the word “dirty” being shouted underneath the shutters of a back yard, as well as comments relating to colour and Muslims.

A number of the eight men involved in the fight which broke out – which involved a garden fork and another tool – were wearing hi-vis jackets bearing the word “warden” on them which had been seen at the march.

Prosecutor Vince Ward described the men as a “splinter group” from the demonstration and added: “It’s clear from the context of this situation that this was a racially motivated attack.”

Witnesses told police they saw the men being kicked and punched, even when they were on the ground and clearly unconscious.

They were both taken to hospital by ambulance after police arrived on the scene. The uncle was left in need of stitches, with injuries to his head and right eye and bleeding from his gums and chin, while his nephew had a cut to the back of his head and forehead and injuries to his chest.

The uncle told officers: “I thought they were going to kill me” while his younger relative said: “I didn’t think anything like this could happen in England.”

Philip Hackers, 38, previously of D’Arcy Court, Hendon, and now of Oak Avenue, South Shields; Gary Hutchinson, 45, of Gilbert Court, Sunderland; Sean Ruffell, 26, of Athol Road, Hendon, and Darren Kerr, 26, of Gartland Avenue, Grindon, were each jailed for 27 months after they all pleaded guilty to affray.

Daren Kerr

Ruffell was jailed for a total of five years, with another four months given after he admitted possession of an offensive weapon – a knuckle duster found on him when he was arrested while he was involved in a fight in Mowbray Park in the aftermath of the demonstration – and 30 months for three counts of possession of drugs with intent to supply, dating back to a raid on his home in 2014.

Hutchinson faces another two months in jail for two shoplifting incidents from supermarkets while on bail for the affray.

Hackers also admitted possession of amphetamine on the day of the march, but faced no further punishment.

Recorder Nicholas Barker told the men: “After the demonstration it’s clear all four of you and four others decided on a course and were intent on finding trouble and that was the driver for distorted and prejudicial views towards Asian heritage.

Gary Hutchinson

“At this time you were a marauding pack.

“You were prepared or intent on meting out violence in any way that met your perverted ideas.”

The court heard alcohol had been consumed around the march, which had played a part in the outbreak of violence.

Ruffell’s ex-partner Jerri Butler, 27, of St Lucia Close, Hendon, who was not connected to the march in any way, was given 16 months imprisonment for possession of cocaine with intent to supply and 12 months in jail for possession of cannabis with intent to supply – the same charges as her former boyfriend – suspended for two years.

The court heard she had been working at a youth and community centre while the offending happened and had to leave her job as a result of the charges.

Phillip Hackers
Sunderland Echo

A mother and her small children were left terrified as yobs armed with a dog chain and knuckle duster staged a fight in a Sunderland park.

The mum was in Mowbray Park with her daughters, aged six and 13, and another girl, also 13, Sunderland magistrates heard.

All children were in the park’s play area, when the fight took place, at 4pm on Sunday, September 4, the court was told.

Prosecutor Laura Johnson said: “The witness was sitting on a bench in the park when she sees the defendants, Daren Kerr and Sean Ruffell, walking through the park.

“A third male shouts ‘you with the sunglasses’ then goes towards these two defendants.”

Ms Johnson said the third male, who is being dealt with separately, had mistaken Ruffell for somebody else.

However she said Kerr then shouted: “Come on, let’s have a fight.”

“Mr Kerr and the third male then squared up to each other and began to throw a number of punches,” Ms Johnson said.

“Mr Kerr produced a dog chain and started swinging it around in an aggressive manner.

“Mr Ruffell threw two punches at the third male, one missed and the other hit him on the head.

“The witness shouted ‘there’s kids around – grow up’.”

The court heard the trio stated that they would go and fight elsewhere as there were “too many bairns around”.

Ms Johnson said the witness then saw the third male on the ground with Ruffell alongside him.

Police then arrived and intervened. A knuckle duster was recovered from Ruffell.

Kerr was detained, having discarded the dog chain.

Ruffell, 25, told police he and the third male had been ‘dancing’ in a boxing stance.

“He was dancing around like Muhammad Ali,” he said.

Kerr, also 25, said the pair had gone for a drink in a bar and had decided to change their clothing, when they saw the third male in the park.

He asked them if they wanted to go for a drink, to which they said no as the pub would be full of ‘****heads’.

Kerr said the male shouted abuse and he took the dog chain from around his neck.

Ms Johnson said: “He said he had the chain because had been walking his dog earlier, however there were protests in the area and that had made the dog nervous and it had ran off.”

Kerr, of Gartland Road, Grindon, and Ruffell, of Athol Road, Hendon, both admitted possession of an offensive weapon and threatening unlawful violence.

Ruffell admitted the offence in relation to the knuckle duster and Kerr in relation to the dog chain.

Susan Gray, defending, said: “They had both been involved in an earlier incident, where a friend of theirs had been assaulted.

“They were in Mowbray Park when they were approached by the male, who was actually looking for a fight, and they responded.

“Mr Kerr had a dog lead with him

“Mr Ruffell had an ornamental knuckle duster. It had never been used as a weapon, it had been taken off the wall.”

The bench asked for an all-options report to be prepared by the Probation Service, including the possibility of custody.

The pair will be sentenced at South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court on March 24.

Sunderland Echo

Dalton Barnett

Dalton Barnett

A teenager locked up for his part in the ‘savage’ and ‘cruel’ slaying of a Sunderland dad has had his sentence increased by a third by senior judges.

Dalton Barnett, 19, of Fuller Road, was convicted of manslaughter and violent disorder and got six years in a young offender institution in July.

His father, Charles Lamont, 41, of Villette Road, was found guilty of murdering of 45-year-old David Walsh and violent disorder.

Lamont was jailed for life at Newcastle Crown Court and ordered to serve 13 years behind bars before he could even apply for parole.

The Attorney General Jeremy Wright QC today referred both killer’s sentences to the Court of Appeal, in London, arguing they were far too soft.

The Court refused to up Lamont’s sentence, saying it was ‘low’ but not ‘unduly lenient’

But the judges increased Barnett’s sentence to nine years.

On November 20 last year, in Canon Cockin Street, Hendon, Mr Walsh’s son David Richardson was involved in a confrontation with Barnett.

He was left with facial injuries and called his brother, Kyle Walsh, to tell him what happened.

Kyle got in his van and picked up his dad, David Walsh, on his way to the scene.

Both men were unarmed, Lord Justice Lloyd Jones told the court.

David Walsh demanded to know who had attacked his son.

Lamont came out of an address in Fuller Road and fought with the father and was punched and knocked to the ground.

He went back inside and got a metal bar and Barnett emerged carrying a baseball bat.

They were both attacking David Walsh when, ‘without warning’, Raymond Brown, then 37, came on the scene with a kitchen knife.

He ‘swiftly and savagely’ stabbed the victim multiple times, leaving him with 34 separate injuries.

Mr Walsh died as a result of massive blood loss. His family were ’emotionally devastated’ by his death.

Brown, of Canon Cockin Street, admitted murder and violent disorder and got life with a minimum of 26 years.

Robert Smith QC, for the Attorney General, argued the punishments imposed on Lamont and Barnett were nowhere near tough enough.

But Toby Hedworth QC, for Barnett, insisted that his sentence was ‘fair and appropriate’ given his youth and immaturity.

Alistair McDonald QC, for Lamont, said his 13-year minimum term was ‘appropriate’ and ‘just’. Lamont suffers from a chronic bowel condition which will make his years in prison tougher, he added.

Lord Justice Lloyd Jones said Mr Walsh suffered ‘a dreadful, cruel death when repeatedly stabbed by Brown’.

The appeal judge, who was sitting with Mr Justice Dingemans and Judge Mark Brown, said Lamont’s minimum term would not be upped.

But he agreed with the Attorney-General that the sentence imposed on Barnett was too short.

After the trial at Newcastle Crown Court, Mr Walsh’s brother Billy, 55, who sat through all of the five-week hearing said the sentences were “too lenient”.

He said at the time: “It’s a disgrace. Those three killed my brother and they have only got 45 years between them.”

Mr Walsh added that the length of sentences given to Lamont and Barnett did not go far enough.

He added: “I don’t think Brown or Lamont have got anywhere near what they should have done. “I think Lamont should have got 20 years and Dalton Barnett should have got 15 years. 


“What they got is too lenient. Barnett has taken a man’s life and he is only having to serve six years. It’s no deterrent. I can’t believe it.”

Sunderland Echo

dal-2

dal-3

dal-4

These are the men facing time behind bars for the killing of Sunderland dad David Walsh.

The 45-year-old, of Fuller Road, Hendon was killed outside an address on Cannon Cockin Street in November last year.

Raymond Brown, 36, of Cannon Cockin Street, had pleaded guilty to murder and violent disorder at an earlier date.

Today at Newcastle Crown Court, Charles Maguire Lamont, 40, of Villette Road, was found guilty of murder and violent disorder.

Lamont’s son Dalton James Barnett, 19, of Fuller Road, was found guilty of manslaughter and violent disorder.

The jury verdicts came after a trial which lasted more than four weeks.

Detective Sergeant Dave Hirst, of Northumbria Police, said: “We welcome the decision by the jury today.

“This has been a difficult case for all the family and our thoughts remain with them. I hope the family can seek some solace in today’s verdict and begin to rebuild their lives.

“I would like to thank the people of Hendon for their community spirit and helping police with this investigation.

Dalton James Barnett

Dalton James Barnett

“With the help of the community and the investigating team, these men have been brought to justice and they will now spend a significant amount of time behind bars.”

Members of Mr Walsh’s family were in court to hear the verdicts read out.

The devoted dad was just weeks away from renewing his wedding vows with his childhood sweetheart when he was killed in a brutal attack in a back lane.

Known as Boff to friends and family, he had planned to hold the ceremony in the Caribbean with wife Trisha in January.

Shortly before his death, the 6ft 3in railway worker – who was only home for the weekend after a change in shifts in the run up to Christmas – went to the aid of his youngest son David, 25, with eldest boy Kyle, 28, when they heard he was in trouble.

His family described Mr Walsh as a “gentle giant” devoted to his family.

His brother Billy, 54, said: “They have taken one of the best people off earth you could ever meet.

“He was a diamond. He was one of the nicest people you could ever meet, he would have given you his last penny.

“He was a gentleman, a fun-loving giant. He was just a true gentleman. He was one of the lads – one of the likely lads.

“He loved doing out for a drink, he loved holding barbecues and going on holiday, he would go three, four, five times a year.

“He was never apart from his wife, except from when he was at work.”

Billy’s wife Kath, 57, added: “He always said he would give his life for his bairns, and he did.

“It’s bad enough for him to be murdered, but what they did, it’s indescribable.

“He went to stop what was going on. He was a protective father, he wanted to try and help him.

“He and Trisha were together like superglue.

“She was like his shadow and they were a funny couple.

“He was fun-loving, he didn’t have a bad bone in his body.

“He was a family man, he was devoted to them.”

Mr Walsh, who went to Valley Road Primary and Southmoor School, where he met Trisha, also 45, was also dad to Aaron and daughter Casey and a grandad to Kyle’s children Kyle, 10, Cavan, eight, and Canis, six, as well as David’s daughter Ellie, seven.

He also leaves sister Maureen and brother Anthony and was also a loving uncle to Anthony’s children Lyndsay, 23, and Anthony, 28.

Mr Walsh was known for hosting barbecues, which would see neighbours join in the gatherings held in his back yard, as well as enjoying cooking for others.

He gained his nickname after shaving his hair off and was known for playing pranks on his friends and family.

He and Trisha enjoyed travelling, with Barbados, Mexico, Goa and Jamaica among the places they had holidayed in recent years.

Sunderland Echo

Dalton barnet 1

Dalton barnet 2

Dalton barnet