Archive

Tag Archives: Glasgow

A court heard how Alexander Agnew’s messages left Sarwar fearing for his own safety and that of his family

Alexander Agnew narrowly escaped jail after targeting Labour MSP Anas Sarwar in a sickening hate campaign

A twisted racist who sent a series of vile email messages to Labour MSP Anas Sarwar in a sickening hate campaign narrowly escaped jail yesterday.

Alexander Agnew, 53, said in one message: ­“Scotland shall never accept a brown skinned heretic as anything but a rapist culture and a sin against God.”

Another said: “Keep a close eye on your offices,” and added a fire emoji.

Another email said the “Moslem horde was fought” and ended “NOT ONE STEP BACK, Alexander”.

The emails also included a video from far right terror group Nation Action. One was headed: “GET OUT”.

The emails left Sarwar, whose father Mohammad was the UK’s first Muslim MP, fearing for his own safety and that of his family.

Glasgow Sheriff Court heard that Agnew, of Govan, Glasgow, sent eight threatening emails to the former Scottish Labour leadership contender between February 5 and February 24 last year.

At an earlier hearing, he admitted sending racially aggravated abusive messages.

At sentencing yesterday, Campbell Porter, defending, said Agnew had carried out his campaign after drinking alcohol.

Agnew said he could not remember sending most of the emails, including the one with the video attached because of drink.

Sheriff Lindsay Wood called the offences “utterly ­unacceptable” and “aimed at a man doing a good job in public service”.

He said: “These offences are jailable but I am persuaded they can be dealt with in an alternative way.”

The sheriff ordered Agnew to carry out 120 hours of unpaid work, placed him on a 12-month supervision order and imposed a night-time curfew for eight months.

The sheriff warned Agnew: “If you breach that you’ll be back in front of me in two minutes.”

Sarwar, chairman of the Scottish Parliament Cross Party Group on Tackling ­Islamophobia, said: “While it has been a very difficult time for me and my family, it has strengthened my resolve to keep fighting for those who aren’t as ­fortunate as I am to have a voice.

“I want to thank the police and courts for their action and hope it ­encourages victims to report instances of ­anti-Muslim hatred.

“I remain increasingly confident that by working together we can build a Scotland that is free of prejudice and hate.”

Daily Record

David Pirie, 27, packed an explosive with petrol, nails and pieces of concrete and left it outside the home of Alexander McCluckie

David Pirie (pictured), 27, left the explosive device outside the window of terrified Alexander McCluckie

David Pirie (pictured), 27, left the explosive device outside the window of terrified Alexander McCluckie

A thug who left a nail bomb outside his neighbour’s home in a row over claims his girlfriend was running a brothel has walked free from court.

David Pirie, 27, left the explosive device packed with petrol, nails and pieces of concrete outside the home of terrified Alexander McCluckie.

Mr McCluckie stayed next door to Pirie’s girlfriend Louise Stewart in Hamilton, Lanarkshire, but relations soured when she made a malicious call to the SSPCA about Mr McCluckie’s dog.

Months later police arrested Miss Stewart after they were told she was operating a brothel but she was released without charge.

Pirie suspected Mr McCluckie had called police and smashed his front window and left a glass bottle, which had a strong smell of fuel coming from it, and a lighter outside.

Pirie was arrested and his DNA was discovered on the bottle.

But days before he was due in court, he fled to Tenerife for almost a year before returning to Scotland.

Pirie, of Bailleston, Glasgow, appeared at Hamilton Sheriff Court and admitted leaving the makeshift bomb at the flat in August 2015 and failing to appear in court in June 2017.

He was spared jail by Sheriff Shiona Waldron and told to perform 150 hours of unpaid work.

Depute fiscal Vish Kathuria said: “The complainer looked out of his window and observed the brick but also observed a glass bottle which contained fluid, nails and a bag protruding from it and noted a lighter next to it.

“He formed the view that what had been left was a petrol bomb and he could also smell fuel coming from the bottle and contacted police.

“The bottle was later dismantled and found to contain nails, fragments of concrete and fluid which was later found to be petrol.

“The accused’s partner was later interviewed and was asked what she knew about the bomb and replied ‘I didn’t know he had actually done it, he told me about it and I was like that is a bit far’.

“The bomb was analysed forensically and DNA from the accused was found on the top of the bottle.

Brazen Pirie used social media to boast of his carefree lifestyle in Tenerife and shared dozens of snaps showing him partying with groups of friends who seem unaware he was avoiding justice back home.

In one photo, he is seen posing with boxers Carl Frampton and Steven Ward as they enjoyed a break away from the ring.

Others show him holding a bottle of Buckfast, playing mini-golf and relaxing on the beach in the sunshine.

Sheriff Waldron said: “You have no previous convictions and this was an extremely foolish incident made much worse by your failure to appear when you were supposed to.

“You have already spent a considerable time in custody relating to that matter and you will be admonished.

“In relation to you acting in a threatening manner by placing an amateur pseudo petrol bomb which fortunately did not do any harm to anyone, you will carry out unpaid work as a direct alternative to custody.”

Daily Mirror

Arthur 'Misty' Thackeray got numbers from slimming world posters and an advert in a shop window

Arthur ‘Misty’ Thackeray got numbers from slimming world posters and an advert in a shop window

The former chairman of UKIP in Scotland has been given a final opportunity to comply with a court order or face jail.

Arthur “Misty” Thackeray, 57, admitted making a string of vulgar phone calls between October 2007 and December 2015 involving 10 different women.

He took the numbers from slimming world posters and an advert in a shop window.

But after being sentenced to a community payback order with various conditions he was back in the dock for a review of his court order.

Glasgow Sheriff Court heard he had not been fully compliant with the order.

And it emerged he told his supervising officer that the phone calls were “consensual”.

The court heard that as a result of his attitude, he is unsuitable for a sex offenders’ programme.

‘One final opportunity’

Sheriff Martin Jones QC asked defence lawyer Craig Broadley: “Is he willing to accept that this is why he’s here?

“All these women, obviously having made complaints to the police?

“Is he deluding himself about whether or not these were consensual in nature?”

The sheriff added that the order was a “direct alternative to prison”.

He added: “I can easily revoke the order if he’s not complying and impose a custodial sentence.”

Mr Broadley confirmed Thackeray was aware he must engage fully.

He also told the court his his client would make a proper effort to comply.

The sheriff added: “I’m giving him one final opportunity, I expect to see an acceptance on his part, working with his supervising officer and changing his attitude.”

Thackeray will return to the court next month.

‘Violated and alarmed’

The calls were made from his home in Glasgow’s east end, at 1 Colme Street, Edinburgh and “elsewhere”.

UKIP Scotland leader and MEP David Coburn’s office is at the same address in the capital.

Thackeray pled guilty to nine charges of intentionally sending, or directing “sexual verbal communication” between 1 December 2010 and 19 December, 2015.

The women’s ages ranged from 25-year-old to 66 at the time of the offences.

He was handed a community payback order with the conditions he will be supervised for three years, will carry out 270 hours of unpaid work within nine months and will be on the sex offenders’ register for three years.

BBC News

In an e-mail MacGregor described himself as a "proud racist"

In an e-mail MacGregor described himself as a “proud racist”

A man who threatened to blow up Glasgow Central Mosque has been ordered to undergo a psychiatric assessment.

Neil MacGregor also threatened to kill a Muslim a day until all mosques in Scotland were closed.

At Glasgow Sheriff Court, Sheriff Andrew Mackie told the 36-year-old he appeared to be suffering from mental illness.

McGregor will appear again in four weeks time after being assessed at Murray Royal Hospital in Perth.

MacGregor admitted telephoning and e-mailing Strathclyde Police to make the threats from a flat in Pollokshaws Road, Glasgow, between January and February 2007.

The court heard that the e-mail read: “I’m a proud racist and National Front member.

“We as an organisation have decided to deal with the current threat from Muslims in our own British way, like our proud ancestors.

“Our demands are very small. Close all mosques in Scotland.

“If our demands aren’t met by next Friday, we’ll kidnap one Muslim and execute him or her on the internet, just like they did to our Ken Bigley.”

MacGregor then followed up the e-mail with a call threatening to blow up Central Mosque.

Officers searched the mosque but did not find anything suspicious.

MacGregor was arrested in December last year.

Ordering McGregor to undergo a psychiatric assessment, Sheriff Mackie told him: “It has been clear for some time your mental health has been causing concern.

“This may be related to you having previously served in the forces, although doubt has arisen as to whether you actually served in a combat zone.

“It is necessary to detain you in hospital for your health and safety and for the safety of other people.”

BBC News