A 60-year-old man has been jailed for two years and eight months after causing an officer to fall to the floor as police clashed with demonstrators outside a hotel housing asylum seekers near Rotherham on 4 August.

Glyn Guest, of Pearson Crescent, Wombwell, admitted violent disorder last week and was sentenced today at Sheffield Crown Court.

Body-worn camera footage showed Guest repeatedly being pushed back by a riot shield as he approached a line of police six times outside of a Holiday Inn Express, before grabbing another shield, causing an officer to fall to the floor to cheering from the crowd.

The female officer whose body-worn camera footage was played said in an impact statement how she was “terrified for my safety” during the disorder, which saw more than 50 police injured and attempts to storm and set fire to the building.

The officer said “it was a horrific incident of mindless thuggery” and that she had encountered “nothing like it before” in her five-and-a-half years of service.

The Recorder of Sheffield, Judge Jeremy Richardson KC, said the conduct of the “mob” was “vile”, told Guest: “You were part of a violent mob and you were playing your part to the full.”

BBC News

Julie Sweeney, 53, from Church Lawton, admitted a charge of sending a communication threatening death or serious harm when she appeared at Chester Crown Court this afternoon.

The court heard that Sweeney was responding to a Facebook post which showed people helping to repair the Southport mosque after it was damaged in violent disorder after the stabbings.

She wrote: “It’s absolutely ridiculous. Don’t protect the mosque. Blow the mosque up with the adults in it.”

Sarah Badrawy, prosecuting, said the Facebook group usually carried items about local events and lost and found items. It has just over 5000 members.

She accepted that Sweeney’s post was made out of anger, not because of racism, and was reckless rather than genuinely intended to put people in fear.

John Keane, defending Sweeney, said she’d lived a “quiet, sheltered life in Cheshire.” She’d never been in trouble before and was genuinely remorseful.

He said Sweeney was the primary carer for her husband who has health problems.

Judge Stephen Everett told Sweeney: “You should have looked at the news with horror like right minded people. Instead you chose to take part in stirring up hatred. It was a truly terrible threat.”

The judge said no one was suggesting that Sweeney would have taken part in any violence but “so called keyboard warriors like her have to learn to take responsibility for their inflammatory and disgusting language.”

Sweeney wiped away tears as Judge Everett jailed her for 15 months and said “Thank you, your honour” at the end of the hearing.

BBC News

A man who kicked a female police officer to the ground and joined an attack on a garage which left nine cars damaged during riots in Hull has been jailed for three years.

Connor Whiteley, 26, pleaded guilty to violent disorder and assaulting an emergency worker after playing a “prominent role” in the “racist, hate-fuelled mob violence” that unfolded in the city on August 3.

He was jailed on Wednesday as the judge encouraged prosecutors to consider charging offenders who played central roles in the disorder with rioting, which has a maximum sentence of 10 years – double the potential tariff for violent disorder convictions.

Hull Crown Court heard Whiteley was at the front of a group confronting police who were trying to protect a hotel known to house asylum seekers, and was seen charging at officers.

The court heard he kicked the shield of a female police officer, forcing her off her feet and leaving her with a minor injury to her elbow and forearm.

Whiteley was also part of a group that targeted a garage, setting cars alight and shouting threats at staff, who were forced to lock themselves inside.

MEN

Warren Gilchrest made ‘numerous racist or racially aggravated comments’ during the violence

A man who chanted ‘England, England, England – take it back’ while ‘encouraging’ people to kick a man during ‘far-right’ violence in Piccadilly Gardens has pleaded guilty.

Warren Gilchrest, 52, was filmed ‘goading’ crowds and making ‘numerous racist or racially aggravated comments’ during the riot on August 3 ‘, Manchester Magistrates Court heard on Wednesday (August 14).

Prosecuting, Jonathan Potter said Gilchrest was ‘actively encouraging others’ to assault a man while shouting “England, England, England – take it back”.

Defending, David Feingold did not make any remarks in mitigation.

District Judge Joanne Hirst told Gilchrest he had been convicted of being involved in large-scale disorder in Piccadilly Gardens ‘which shames us all’. He was remanded into custody as Judge Hirst said there was a risk of further offences if bail was granted.

Gilchrest, of North Road, Clayton, Manchester, will next appear at Manchester Crown Court on August 21.

MEN

Kye McGlade, 24, was part of a group that was ‘kicking shop windows and throwing bottles at police’

A man who looted a Sainsbury’s store during violent scenes in Manchester city centre told a judge to “swivel on that, you b****”.

Kye McGlade, 24, pleaded guilty to charges of violent disorder, theft from a shop, and criminal damage, at Manchester Magistrates’ Court today (Tuesday).

The offences were carried out on August 3, the court heard. Prosecutor Aqsa Khan told the court that McGlade was part of a group that was ‘kicking shop windows and throwing bottles at police’.

“The defendant was identified through extensive CCTV and mobile phone footage,” she added.

McGlade, who was said to have previous convictions for assaulting emergency workers, also admitted a breach of a conditional discharge. Remanding him into custody, District Judge Joanne Hirst said the offences were ‘too serious’ to be dealt with by magistrates.

“You have admitted taking part in the shameful disorder that took place in our city recently,” she added. “You were heavily involved in that in terms of looting alcohol and criminally damaging other people’s property.”

As he was led to the cells, McGlade, of no fixed abode, told the judge to “f*** off”. He then added: “Swivel on that, you bitch.”

He will next appear at Manchester Crown Court for sentence on August 20.

MEN

Three men appeared in Magistrates’ Court this morning accused of taking part in violent disorder

A man was caught with a samurai sword after throwing items at police during the violent disorder in Southport. Joshua Jones, 31, of St Mark’s Road, in St Helens, appeared before District Judge Paul Healey on Wednesday morning charged with violent disorder and possession of a samurai sword, on different occasions. He pleaded guilty to both charges.

On July 30, the night violence erupted in Southport, Jones travelled to Sussex Road in the town as rioters targeted a mosque. Liverpool Magistrates’ Court heard how Jones had been seen on CCTV throwing items at the police, which looked to be either glass or brick. Alex Farrow, prosecuting, also said Jones had been hostile towards police, who were at the cordon outside the local mosque, while wearing a face covering.

A warrant was issued for his arrest, and a search of his property was also made. Police located two samurai swords at the address. Jones, who has previous convictions, was denied bail and was remanded in custody for sentence at Crown Court on August 20.

Jones was one of three men who appeared in Liverpool Magistrates’ Court today (August 14) accused of being involved with the violent disorder in Southport earlier this month. Jonathan Duerden, 31, of The Crescent, in Colne, Lancashire, also appeared before Judge Healey charged with violent disorder. He pleaded guilty to the charge and will appear in Liverpool Crown Court for sentencing on August 20.

The court heard how Duerden was seen at the Southport incident on July 30 on CCTV leaning down to the ground, picking up a brick and throwing it at a police car. Jones was denied bail.

Another man, Andrew Jackson, 41, of Ramford Street, in St Helens, was accused of violent disorder, he pleaded not guilty. He was also charged with possession of a controlled Class B drug (cannabis), to which he pleaded guilty. During police interview Jackson denied that a person caught on CCTV during the disorder was him. No application for bail was made and Jackson was remanded in custody.

Liverpool Echo

Bolton was jailed for two years and eight months. The 38-year-old, who runs a ground-working business, was filmed angrily shouting at a line of police officers protecting the Holiday Inn Express, which was housing more than 200 asylum seekers, on Sunday August 4.

The footage, played in court, showed Bolton screaming abuse and goading officers in riot gear as his partner attempted to calm him down.

The court heard how Bolton, of Manchester Square, New Holland, had driven with his partner and his 15-year-old son from his home in North Lincolnshire when he found out about the ongoing protest.

The Recorder of Sheffield, Judge Jeremy Richardson KC, said: “You were encouraging the remainder of the crowd around and about you to engage in violence.”

The judge also confiscated the Mercedes car Bolton used to drive to Rotherham, after hearing he was disqualified from driving and had no insurance, and banned him from driving for three years.

Yorkshire Live

Elliott Wragg went to the Holiday Inn in Manvers after reading social media posts

A man who threw pieces of wood at a hotel housing refugees in Rotherham has been put behind bars.

Elliott Wragg, 23, has been jailed for two years and four months for his role in the violent disorder that took place at the Holiday Inn hotel in Manvers on August 4. His case was opened by prosecutor Neil Coxon on Tuesday at Sheffield Crown Court, but Recorder of Sheffield Judge Jeremy Richardson KC jailed him on Wednesday.

In his opening to the court, Mr Coxon said: “This takes place in the context of serious violence disorder which occurred on August 4. Looking through the viewing log, footage shows that there is a large group of people, several of whom are wearing face coverings, but this defendant is not.

“The group was stood on a path just outside the premises that was the Holiday Inn. There is a man in a white T-shirt, and that is the defendant. He can then be seen picking up an item on the ground and throwing it in the direction of officers against the wall of the Holiday Inn.

“The next photograph shows the defendant throwing a piece of wood, and another shows the police stood in front of the Holiday Inn. At this stage, the group continue to throw items, including chairs and other items. In this part of the footage you cannot see the defendant but he is part of the group. There were also fire extinguisher that were discharged. The group are shouting ‘Yorkshire, Yorkshire’.”

Footage of the incident was played to the court. It was said Wragg, of Assembly Way, Barnsley, was arrested and accepted that in one of the clips he was there but exercised his right to remain silent. He had no previous convictions on his record.

Dale Harris, defending, said his client said he had “no racist views” and his actions were “wholly out of character”. He said Wragg went to the hotel after reading on social media about a protest about immigration.

Yorkshire Live

Trevor Lloyd was caught on camera becoming involved with disorder outside the Holiday Inn in Manvers but says he was telling people ‘stop’

A Rotherham dad was only supposed to be in Aldi buying meat for his Sunday dinner – but has now ended up behind bars after becoming embroiled in violent disorder.

Trevor Lloyd, 49, was at the forefront of a group that culminated outside the Holiday Inn hotel in Rotherham on August 4 this year. The hotel is used to house refugees and asylum seekers.

Sheffield Crown Court heard on Wednesday that Lloyd, of Oak Avenue, was spotted filming some of the disorder. The group he was stood with was responsible for smashing windows and doors to the hotel, entering it and returning with items including fire extinguishers and chair that were then thrown at officers.

Read more: Live as Rotherham rioters in court – FIVE more men to be sentenced for Holiday Inn disgrace

Prosecutor Louise Gallagher said: “He appears to be filming using a mobile phone…At 5.34pm, windows had been smashed. In a photograph, he can be seen at the front of the group, again recording. He’s standing sideways with his back to a wall. He’s seen again, this time at 7.32pm, and he remains with the group.

“He’s been highlighting as being present amongst the gathering.” It was said Lloyd also entered the hotel, although his barrister Richard Adams said he did so “momentarily”.

Footage was played to the court of the incident and showed Lloyd among the group that could be heard chanting, “Yorkshire, Yorkshire, Yorkshire.” This clip was uploaded to TikTok by an account with the username Steakbake6969.

Lloyd was arrested after being identified from a still image taken from footage. He was arrested on August 9 and made no comment in interview, but submitted a prepared statement which said he and his partner had become separated and he was telling the group to “stop”.

Ms Gallagher said: “He admitted following the group in [to the hotel] and telling them to come out.” Lloyd’s barrister said he is not maintaining his account and has taken advice and “accepts presence in the melee and for some period of time.”

The court heard he had previous convictions on his record for offences including assaulting a police constable, theft and drug offences.

Mr Adams told the court: “Can I perhaps urge My Lord a little restraint in as much as this. The defendant’s intention that day had been no more than to visit Aldi, which joins the hotel, with his partner, and seeing the demonstration he made the foolish error of deciding to go and have a look.

“What was first a look became a protracted stay. His partner had the good sense to move away, and he of course remained at the scene… It was simply to buy a piece of meat for dinner. That, he accepts, he was caught up in it.”

The court has heard Lloyd used to work, but was injured and sustained a spinal injury and is now registered disabled.

Recorder of Sheffield His Honour Judge Jeremy Richardson KC, said: “A man with a spinal injury, registered disabled, participates in this?” Mr Adams said: “His participation we say is his presence.”

As he jailed him for three years, Judge Richardson told Lloyd: “You are a man with a family. You have a partner. You live in Rotherham. You have two older daughters. You also have a daughter aged nine.

“What a dreadful example you have set your daughter. Your conduct was shameful and you unquestionably encouraged serious violence by what you did. On Sunday 4th August 2024, there was major civil disorder in the Manvers area of Rotherham. The incident was part of wider, national civil unrest, fostered by a form of malignancy of society… It was perpetrated by an ignorant mob, of which you were part.”

The judge said the occupants of the hotel “must have been terrified.” He added: “You were involved in this incidemt. You were watching, encouraging and filming on your mobile telephone what was going on. I repeat, you were well to the fore while others were breaking in. You went in yourself and came out smiling.

“I have seen the footage of what occurred. It was frightening and alarming even to watch it in the courtroom. It must have been utterly terrifying for those present, including the police officers.”

The court heard that during a second incident, Lloyd gestured towards police officers, shouted at them and was “endeavouring to push the police officers.” Judge Richardson said Lloyd has “brought shame” on Rotherham. He also made him the subject of a Criminal Behaviour Order.

Yorkshire Live

Curtis Coulson cried during his first court appearance

A snivelling rioter who cried during his first court appearance had no tears as he was jailed for brandishing a stick taken from an anti-racism sign.

Curtis Coulson has been put behind bars for four-and-a-half months for affray on August 4 in Sheffield. Coulson, 30, wiped away tears as he appeared at Sheffield Magistrates’ Court last week and was remanded into custody.

However, Coulson, of Sheffield, appeared different when he appeared over a video link at Sheffield Crown Court from HMP Lincoln on Tuesday and listened to Neil Coxon’s prosecution opening.

Mr Coxon said: “In essence a group of pro-asylum protesters held a peaceful demonstration on the steps of the Town Hall.” The court heard Coulson claimed he had seen a message about a Pro-UK march the day before and he got the bus into the city centre and walked in the direction of the Town Hall where he was to meet a group to attend the march.

He said he was approached by a woman holding a placard as he walked past the City Hall and said she called him a “far-right fascist” and raised the sign “in what appeared to be a strike.”

Mr Coxon said Coulson claimed he raised his arm and caused the placard to come from a stick, which he took away. He said he agreed he had used the stick in a threatening manner.

Coulson’s barrister, Gordon Stables, said the case did not involve “actual violence” and that the tarmacer is “very embarrassed.”

Judge Richardson told Coulson as he jailed him: “It is always important in cases of this kind to keep a sense of proportion, not withstanding that observation, your conduct was disgraceful.

“You unquestionably threatened on several occasions, violence, whilst holding a stick…There was some form of protest outside the City Hall by individuals who asserted they are anti-racism and anti-fascist. It was a group of approximately 70 plus individuals, who appeared to be participating in a peaceful protest.

“But you were adjacent to a nearby public house, called Yates, with a group much smaller in number than they were. There had been some form of incident – the truth of which I cannot judge – whereby you managed to secure the pole that had held a placard. You utilised that pole to threaten and provoke the larger group of individuals.”

The judge said: “It is right to observe, no one was in fact injured, and it is also right to observe that the anti-racist group advanced towards you, albeit no one of them actually attacked you at all, or your group. You were waving your stick provocatively on a number of occasions and were moving in a hostile way and were threatening towards them…

“It is clear at the same time, several miles away in Rotherham, police were having to handle a very difficult situation where there was mass public disorder.”

Coulson was also made the subject of a Criminal Behaviour Order for five years.

Yorkshire Live