Archive

threatening behaviour

A violent car-jacker who tried to slash a man across the neck with car keys has been jailed.

Aaron Muxlow was sentenced to 33 months in prison after carrying out a series of verbal and physical attacks.

Muxlow, 21, appeared at Cambridge Crown Court for sentencing after previously pleading guilty to theft, criminal damage, using threatening or abusive words or behaviour and robbery.

Quentin Newcomb, prosecuting, said Nicholas Birch and Luke Banaszkiewicz were driving on Spril 12 to see friends at Arbury Court in Cambridge.

Mr Banaszkiewicz got out to meet friends and Muxlow, of Cambridge Road, Stretham, Ely, approached the car, grabbed the keys from the ignition and demanded Mr Birch give him all his possessions.

When Mr Birch said he did not have anything to give him, Muxlow hit him several times before Mr Birch fled and his friend returned asking for the keys, the court was told.

Muxlow then slashed at Mr Banaszkiewicz’s neck with the keys, leaving a mark, before driving off in the car.

On May 25, Muxlow verbally abused Neera Saini, co-owner of Derby Stores, Derby Street, when she challenged him over a missing bottle of wine worth £6.

He returned on June 3 and intimidated her husband, Karter Singh, because Mr Singh was following him to check nothing was stolen.

Then on June 10, he attacked a cyclist’s bike, falsely claiming the owner, Jon Clarke, was a “pervert” who had taken wine from his trousers.

When Mr Clarke went into the Mace store, in Green End Street, he heard “banging and scratching noises” and went outside to see his bike wheel buckled and Muxlow walking off.

Mr Clarke later returned to the scene with a police officer and they found Muxlow still there.

He was arrested and placed in a police van by Pc Linas Pekarskas but started hurling racist abuse at the officer, shouting ‘EDL’ .

Mark Shelley, mitigating, said: “When he is sober he is actually quite pleasant. When he drinks and takes drugs he is aggressive and unpleasant.”

Judge Jonathan Haworth said the robbery was the “aggravating feature” and sentenced him to a total of two years and nine months in prison, reduced by the 121 days he has spent in custody.

Cambridge News

THREE protesters who attended the English Defence League rally in Blackburn earlier this month have appeared in court.

Lisa Swales, 27, of Eastfield Gardens, Bradford, pleaded guilty to assaulting PC John Cuthbertson.

David Monks, 34, of Haydock Street, Bolton, pleaded guilty to using threatening behaviour.

Robert Gavin Tromans, 29, of Beverley Road, West Bromwich, pleaded guilty to using threatening behaviour.

All three were remanded on bail for pre-sentence reports.

Lancashire Telegraph

A MAN who stormed into a takeaway and threatened staff with a pizza shovel while shouting racial slurs, denied he was a racist because he had “lots of paki and coloured friends”.

Neil Mitchell, 42, of Woodland Avenue in Skellingthorpe, has been found guilty of racially aggravated threatening behaviour and racially aggravated criminal damage.

Neil Mitchell

AWAITING SENTENCE: Neil Mitchell, 41, of Woodland Avenue, Skellingthorpe, has been found guilty of racially aggravated threatening behaviour and racially aggravated criminal damage.

 

Lincoln Magistrates’ Court heard that Mitchell went to Caldo Pizza in Woodfield Avenue, Birchwood on Thursday, January 6 after he was given the wrong kebab by staff.

Mitchell slammed the chicken kebab on the counter before swearing at owner Hamid Banki.

The court heard he asked staff “Can’t you understand English” and called them “f***ing foreigners” and “pakis” before picking up a pizza shovel and brandishing it at them.

A bowl was damaged during the altercation.

But in an interview with police, Mitchell claimed he was not a racist because he “had lots of paki and coloured friends” and a friend in his phone called “nig nog”.

At an earlier hearing, Mitchell pleaded guilty to threatening behaviour and causing criminal damage but denied they were racially aggravated.

Lois Colley, prosecuting, asked Mitchell: “On a number of occasions during your police interview you mimicked the accents of staff at the shop. Do you find that offensive?”

Wearing a dark suit and standing defiantly in the dock Mitchell replied: “No. Is it offensive for a northerner to mimic a southerner?”

Ms Colley then put to Mitchell: “You said in interview you had lots of “paki” and “coloured” friends and that you had a friend in your phone called ‘nig nog’ “.

Mitchell replied: “Nig nog is a white guy, it was a name he had from the Army.

“He got the name because he was always dirty and would wear paint on his face.”

Referring to the incident at Caldo Pizza, Mitchell then told magistrates: “I hadn’t slept for three nights because my father is ill with Parkinson’s disease.

“They had got my order wrong again, so I went back to demand my money back, and petrol money as well.

“The chef started getting a bit cocky and it escalated from there.

“I said ‘Can’t you understand English?’, but it wasn’t a racist remark.

“I grew up in the ghetto where life was tough. Where I came from, things were different and you could have a bit of banter.

“I never used racist words, I can’t understand why they thought I did.”

Richard Marshall, in mitigation, said: “Mr Mitchell comes from a different background, but it is clear he didn’t use overtly racist language.”

Adjourning sentencing for further reports, chairman of the bench Robert Cox said: “You have accepted threatening behaviour and criminal damage offences but we have come to the conclusion they were racially aggravated.

“Mr Mitchell’s use of words in both interview and the witness box demonstrates an underlying hostility to racial minorities.”

Sentencing was adjourned until Friday July 8 awaiting further reports.

This is Lincolnshire

Shane Martin.

Shane Martin.



A TEENAGER armed with a martial arts weapon threatened visitors and staff at South Tyneside’s hospital maternity unit.

Shane Martin and two friends were told to leave the grounds of the borough’s District Hospital after being refused entry in the early hours of November 6 last year.

Newcastle Crown Court heard that the group continued to try to get in, while women giving birth and being looked after inside could hear their drunken threats and abuse.

When a security guard tried to usher them away, Martin, 18 – who was armed with a set of nunchucks – directed a torrent of abuse and threats at him.

Judge John Milford yesterday jailed Martin, of Summerhill, Jarrow, for eight months after he pleaded guilty to having an offensive weapon and threatening behaviour.

The judge said anyone who behaves in such a way inside hospital grounds can expect to go to jail.

Debbie Breen, prosecuting, told the court Martin had turned up at the hospital in Harton Lane, South Shields, with his pals in tow, to confront a patient’s stepfather over an earlier row.

Miss Breen told the court: “The security guard said he could immediately see they had been drinking.

“They were shouting outside the doors and trying to gain access to the maternity department.”

She added: “They all became abusive towards the security guard.

“The defendant was very agitated. He is described as being in the security guard’s face.

“He was shouting and swearing, and threats were directed towards the stepfather of a patient.”

The court heard a second security guard came to try to calm the trouble, and the police were called.

While staff waited for officers to arrive, Martin was shouting “I will kill you all” and continued to hurl foul abuse.

Miss Breen said: “The verbal abuse could be heard by patients within the unit.”

By the time police arrived, Martin had thrown the nunchucks – which he did not produce during the incident – into a bush, but they were recovered by officers.

Judge Milford jailed Martin after hearing he was on bail for offences of criminal damage at the time of the incident.

He said: “Over a period of about half an hour you shouted, swore and used threatening language.

“You will go straight to custody, as will anyone who acts in this manner and carries a weapon at a hospital.”

Vic Laffey, defending, said Martin accepts he was “very foolish” that night.

Jarrow and Hebburn Gazette

A racist teenager who directed a foul-mouthed tirade of abuse at a Paisley shopkeeper has been fined after admitting the offence in court.

Chelsea Lambie, who was just 16 at the time, claimed she was offended when challenged over her conduct at the Keystore shop, in Glenburn Road, on August 6 last year.

Paisley Sheriff Court heard that, when shop manager Shafqat Mahmood followed her and a companion into the street to talk to them, “the red mist descended” as he placed his hand on her.

Drunken Lambie, of Fereneze Drive, Glenburn, then launched foul verbal abuse as she called Mr Mahmood a “Paki b*****d” and told him to “go back to his own country”.

When the startled shopkeeper went back inside, Lambie followed him and continued to hurl abuse his way.

She also pushed Mr Mahmood and warned him he would get his throat cut.

Even when Mr Mahmood threatened to call the police, Lambie paid no heed as she called him a “black b*****d”, lashed out at him and tried to kick him.

She also pushed a National Lottery machine from the counter, causing it to crash to the floor, before fleeing.

The court was told that officers were called to the scene and, after taking statements, they tracked down Lambie and charged her.

In court, Lambie admitted behaving in a threatening and abusive manner, likely to cause fear and alarm, by uttering threats of violence and making racist remarks, as well as assaulting Mr Mahmood and pushing the Lottery machine from the counter.

Defence agent Terry Gallanagh said his client had been “horrified” when she read statements which outlined her behaviour.

She had been drunk on the day in question but had now distanced herself from those she formerly saw as her friends.

Mr Gallanagh added: “She accepts that this kind of conduct is completely unacceptable in a modern-day Scotland.”

Sheriff James Spy fined Lambie, now aged 17, a total of £375, to be paid at a rate of £10 per week.

Paisley Daily Express

A supporter of the English Defence League head-butted one of the group’s opponents during an anti-racism music festival.

James Lee Elliott, 20, was drunk when he attacked a member of Leicester Unite Against Fascism during the festival last year.

The assault took place during a free music festival called Love Music, Hate Racism in Leicester’s Market Corner in October, Leicester Magistrates’ Court heard.

Elliott, who the court heard is already subject to a three-year football banning order, approached an information stall run by Unite Against Fascism and tried to pull down one of the group’s posters.

After three attempts, the court heard, he managed to pull the poster away and was challenged by a one of the people who were running the stall.

Prosecutor Cheryl Goes, told the hearing on Thursday that Elliott head-butted the man before he was restrained by onlookers and the police were called.

When two police officers arrived to take him away, Elliott became abusive, calling the two constables a series of foul names.

The officers said Elliott smelled of alcohol and was glassy-eyed.

The officers initially intended to issue him with a dispersal notice, which would have meant he would have to leave the city centre.

However, as he continued to swear at them and struggle, they attempted to restrain him but he began attempting to punch and kick them, the court heard.

He was eventually handcuffed when a third officer arrived to help his colleagues.

Ms Goes told the court: “During his police interview he accepted he was at the event and was a member of the English Defence League and was angered by the poster.”

Elliott has seven criminal convictions dating back to 2007, Ms Goes said.

Elliott, of Rona Gardens, Thurnby Lodge, Leicester, had previously pleaded guilty to using threatening behaviour, but denied resisting arrest and assault.

He was due to be tried for those offences – which were caught on CCTV cameras – but changed his pleas to guilty on the day of the trial.

Kerry Patrick, representing Elliott, told the court that her client accepted he had been drunk and abusive but denied he had deliberately head butted his victim.

He had pleaded guilty to the assault charge because he accepted there was contact between him and the man.

Ms Patrick said: “He accepts he was being abusive throughout and that he was intoxicated.

“He also accepts he was angered by the content of the poster and that he took it down after several attempts.”

The chairman of the bench, William Langley, adjourned sentencing until Thursday, August 2.

In that time, probation officers will compile a report on Elliott and his criminal history to guide the magistrates who sentence him.

Elliott was released on unconditional bail.

This is Leicester

AN English Defence League supporter attacked a police horse, punching it eight times during last month’s demonstration in Blackburn.

Robert Gavin Tromans was one of five people to appear at the town’s magistrate court on Friday in connection with disorder during the rally.

Tromans, 29, of Beverley Road, West Bromwich, attacked the horse as police formed a mounted cordon to control a crowd on Northgate.

He pleaded guilty to using threatening behaviour and was remanded on bail for the preparation of a pre-sentence report with a warning a custodial sentence could not be ruled out.

Andrew Church-Taylor, defending, said Tromans, a former soldier, was a supporter of the EDL but not a member and had attended the rally with an organised coach party.

“His intention was to get back to his coach and not to cause any trouble,” said Mr Church-Taylor.

Also appearing in court was David Monks, 34, of Haydock Street, Bolton, who pleaded guilty to using threatening behaviour.

He was made subject to an electronically monitored curfew between 8pm and 6am for 91 days.

The court heard a man attending the rally in Blackburn was punched unconscious by fellow supporters after heckling one of the speakers.

Catherine Allan, prosecuting, said CCTV of the incident showed Monks throwing a punch but it did not show whether it connected.

“The other man was in fact punched unconscious but not necessarily by this defendant,” said Miss Allan.

Lisa Swales, 27, of Eastfield Gardens, Bradford, pleaded guilty to assaulting a police officer during the rally.

She suddenly lunged forward and grabbed his testicles, the court heard.

She was sentenced to 12 weeks in prison, suspended for 12 months, made subject to community supervision for 12 months with a condition she attends the stop binge drinking programme.

Susan Bowden, defending, said Swales had attended the demonstration with a group of friends but wasn’t involved with the EDL.

Thomas James Ferguson pleaded guilty to using threatening behaviour after being ordered to leave the rally.

He was drunk, became abusive and swung a punch at an officer before he was arrested.

Ferguson, 22, of Cherry Tree Guest House, Islington, Blackburn, also pleaded guilty to theft from a shop and two offences of failing to answer bail.

He was jailed for 28 days.

Patrick Joseph Doyle, 48, of Cobourg Close, Blackburn, pleaded guilty to assaulting a police officer in the execution of his duty.

He had caught the officer on the temple and knocked his helmet off, the magistrates were told

Lancashire Telegraph