Archive

Author Archives: virginiagolden

Aras Magedi was caught on CCTV throwing the missiles

The 24-year-old was part of city centre riots which broke out following the deaths of three young girls – Bebe King, Alice Da Silva Aguiar and Elsie Dot Stancombe – in a mass stabbing on July 29 this year. On Thursday, October 24, he pleaded guilty to violent disorder at Liverpool Crown Court.

After throwing the missiles, Magedi then fled the scene from police as officers moved into the location. He was sentenced to one year, nine months in prison.

Detective Chief Inspector Tony Roberts said: “Magedi has been jailed for the role that he played in the large-scale violent disorder which took place in Liverpool city centre and resulted in numerous police officers being injured and property being damaged.

“This latest sentencing brings the total number to 159 years and 11 months in prison for the 75 people that have been sentenced so far. In addition, we have made 139 arrests and charged 94 people, and there will be many more to come.

“We continue to identify more people who attended the disorder in Merseyside and we will not stop until we’ve put everyone we possibly can before the courts.” People can contact Merseyside Police via Public Portal (mipp.police.uk) or anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Liverpool Echo

Parslow’s plan to send his “manifesto” to figures including Tommy Robinson, Laurence Fox, Boris Johnson and Suella Braverman failed as he copied in too many people.

A knifeman with Hitler’s signature tattooed on his arm has been found guilty of attempted murder after stabbing an asylum seeker in the chest and hand.

Callum Ulysses Parslow, 31, attacked the man at a hotel in Worcestershire on 2 April as a “protest” against small boat crossings.

Nazi-obsessed Parslow admitted wounding – using a £770 knife bought online – and said he went to stab “one of the Channel migrants” because he was “angry and frustrated”.

He tried to publish a “terrorist manifesto” on social media as police closed in and claimed he “just did my duty to England” by attempting to “exterminate” his victim.

Nahom Hagos, from Eritrea in East Africa, was eating in the conservatory of the Pear Tree Inn at Hindlip, near Worcester, when he was attacked.

The 25-year-old victim said it was a “miracle” he survived.

After trying to kill Mr Hagos, Parslow ran towards a canal and was spotted with what appeared to be blood on his hands, Leicester Crown Court heard.

The court was told he tried to post the manifesto on X as police closed in, tagging Tommy Robinson and politicians including Nigel Farage, Suella Braverman and Sir Keir Starmer.

However, it failed to send as he copied in too many people.

Others on his list included Laurence Fox, Lee Anderson, Boris Johnson, Donald Trump and various news organisations.

Blood which contained a DNA profile matching that of Mr Hagos was found on the blade of the knife abandoned by Parslow.

The court heard an axe, metal baseball bat and a second knife were found at his bedsit in Bromyard Terrace in Worcester.

Police also discovered a swastika armband, a Nazi-era medallion and copies of Hitler’s book Mein Kampf.

Parslow pleaded guilty to unconnected charges, including a sexual offence, during a three-week trial.

The jury deliberated for just over four hours on Friday before finding him guilty of attempted murder – he will be sentenced on 17 January.

Sky News

Callum Parslow launched his attack at the Pear Tree Inn near Worcester

A man has been found guilty of attempted murder after he stabbed an asylum seeker at a Worcestershire hotel. Callum Parslow launched his assault in a protest over small boats, a court heard.

Nazi-obsessed Parslow, 32, left his 25-year-old victim injured in the attack but luckily, he survived the ordeal earlier this year. Parslow was later charged with attempted murder connected to terrorism and possession of a bladed article.

He was found guilty of attempted murder at Leicester Crown Court. Parslow tried to publish a “terrorist manifesto” on his X account in the moments before his arrest, the court was told.

During the trial, Parslow, who admitted wounding, said he had made the four-and-a-half-mile journey to the hotel on April 2 to stab “one of the Channel migrants” because he was “angry and frustrated”.

Opening the case for the Crown on October 8 at Leicester Crown Court, prosecutor Tom Storey KC said Nahom Hagos had previously lived at the Pear Tree Inn and had returned to visit a friend when he was stabbed twice, severing tendons in his left hand.

The prosecutor told the court Mr Hagos was minding his own business, eating his lunch, and had given Parslow directions to the hotel’s toilets before he was attacked.

At the time of the stabbing, the hotel was largely closed to the public due to renovation work, having previously contracted to house asylum seekers from November 2022 to February 2024.

Mr Storey said of the attack: “The defendant’s actions that day were carefully planned and were driven by a particular ideology, specifically an extreme right-wing ideology, which had led him to identify and target his victim on the basis of his ethnicity.”

Mr Hagos, originally from Eritrea in East Africa, was eating a meal in a conservatory when he was attacked, and said of his survival: “I still look at it as a miracle. God saved me.”

Parslow, who stored Nazi memorabilia and weapons at his bedsit in Bromyard Terrace, Worcester, was remanded in custody and will be sentenced by Mr Justice Dove at Woolwich Crown Court on January 17.

After the attack, assistant chief constable of West Mercia Police, Grant Wills, said: “This was a truly shocking incident and my thoughts continue to be with the victim as he recovers from his injuries.

“We understand the details of this charge may be alarming to the community, but we can reassure you that there isn’t believed to be any wider risk to the public. The local policing team from West Mercia Police will remain visible in the area for your reassurance.”

Birmingham Mail

A far-right extremist has been jailed for 12 years after posting videos of an extreme right-wing nature on social media.

Gabriel Budasz, 24, of Drove Road in Weston-super-Mare, was sentenced at Winchester Crown Court on Thursday.

He had been found guilty of terror offences, after police seized books, masks and memorabilia of an extreme right-wing nature, as well as a 3D-printed firearm from his home in August 2023.

Judge Forster told the defendant: “You have no interest as to how your actions could have affected others.”

Prosecutors seized Budasz’s mobile and computer devices and found he used a number of social media sites under different usernames to post extreme right-wing material.

The court heard Budasz was living in supported accommodation, where he made videos that were broadcast on social media.

He dressed in robes and a mask to disguise his true identity and used props to encourage violence, including a 3D-printed plastic handgun made in his bedroom, the court was told.

The prosecutor Maryam Syed told the court today he was emulating Brenton Tarrant, who carried out mass shootings at mosques in New Zealand in 2019.
‘Lacks empathy’

His defence Tim Forte told Judge Forster that Budasz has a severe developmental disorder making him less mature than other men of his age.

He added that he only had 44 followers on social media, which was “not a large audience”.

The defence told the court that Budasz never left his accommodation with the 3D printed handgun.

He had educational difficulties growing up, leading to foster care.

“He lacks empathy, which speaks as to why he is here,” Mr Forte added.

However, Judge Forster said there was “no direct connection” between Budasz’s mental disorder and his offending, citing two expert witnesses who determined Budasz was “able to form an intent”.

Judge Forster told the defendant: “Your lack of insight is underlined by your description of your trial as being a ‘comedy show’, and your inability to understand the verdicts reached by the jury.”

Budasz was sentenced to 12 years in prison, followed by three years under licence.

BBC News

A man has admitted to trying set a hotel on fire where more than 200 asylum seekers were staying, a court heard.

Levi Fishlock stoked and threw a flaming bin at the Holiday Inn Express in Manvers, Rotherham, during a spate of disorder on 4 August.

He initially denied violent disorder and arson with intent to endanger life but pleaded guilty to the charges at Sheffield Crown Court earlier.

Fishlock, 31, of Sheffield Road, Barnsley, will be sentenced on 11 December and was remanded into custody by Judge Peter Hampton.

Previous hearings heard how Fishlock had been part of a group who pushed a burning bin against the hotel and stoked the fire.

More than 60 men have so far been jailed for their parts in the disorder outside the hotel, which left 64 police officers injured, as well as four dogs and a horse.

Sheffield Crown Court has heard how more than 200 asylum seekers were trapped in the upper floors as rioters smashed windows and set light to the bin.

Hotel staff have told the court how they barricaded themselves into a panic room during the rioting, fearing they would die as they smelt the smoke.

At the same court, another man admitted driving to the hotel in a pick-up truck laden with debris for rioters to hurl at police.

Jake Turton was filmed arriving at the scene in a Ford Ranger with wood and other scrap items on the back.

Rioters then used the wood to throw at officers and to fuel fires around the hotel that were blocking asylum seekers and staff inside.

Turton, 38, of Darfield, Barnsley, pleaded guilty to violent disorder and will be sentenced on 6 November.

Turton’s defence barrister said the rioters “helped themselves” to the wood and that the defendant did not actively participate in the violence.

However, Judge Sarah Wright said a custodial sentence was “inevitable”.

Turton denied another charge of taking a vehicle without consent and was found not guilty.

He was also remanded into custody.

BBC News

A man has admitted rioting during a night of violence and attacks on police.

Liam Doeg was part of a mob in Sunderland that wreaked havoc on 2 August after an anti-immigration protest turned violent.

The 33-year-old, of Poplar House, previously admitted violent disorder and burglary but, appearing at Newcastle Crown Court on Thursday, he pleaded guilty to the more serious offence of rioting.

He was remanded into custody at HMP Durham to be sentenced on 4 November.

BBC News

MICHAEL GOTT, also known as SKIN-VESP HEAD, aged 45, of South Avenue, Sherborne.

Admitted without lawful authority or reasonable excuse, had with him in a public place, namely West End Community Club, Sherborne, an offensive weapon, namely a knuckleduster.

Committed to prison for 4 weeks consecutive to offence number 4.

Weapon to be forfeited and destroyed.

Admitted committing a further offence during the operational period of a suspended sentence order. It is ordered that the suspended sentence be activated in full.

For original offence of assault by beating at Weymouth, suspended sentence of imprisonment of 20 weeks suspended for 12 months implemented concurrent.

For original offence of assault by beating at Weymouth, suspended sentence of imprisonment of 26 weeks suspended for 12 months implemented. The overall length of sentence is 30 weeks.

Dorset Echo

EX National Front supporter who is active in the recent demos around the south coast


Three men have been jailed after being part of the large-scale scenes of deplorable violence at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel in Manvers, Rotherham, on Sunday 4 August.

Gareth Lunn will have time to reflect on his abhorrent behaviour after he was jailed for violent disorder. Lunn, of Billingley View, Bolton-upon-Dearne, Barnsley, was captured on body-worn video swinging a bin at an officer, before picking up missiles and tossing them at the police cordon.

The 41-year-old’s despicable actions didn’t stop there as he was recorded in a group damaging windows at the front of the hotel, as well as seen throwing a shopping trolley at officers.

Lunn pleaded guilty to violent disorder at Barnsley Magistrates’ Court on 28 August. Yesterday (21 October) at Sheffield Crown Court, he was jailed for three years.

Michael Woods was recorded on body-worn video hurling abuse at officers, threatening that a nearby dog would ‘get’ an officer. The 64-year-old was seen aggressively shouting in officers’ faces.

Woods, of Ainsdale Avenue, Goldthorpe, Barnsley, handed himself into a police station after an image of him at the disorder was circulated in a media appeal. Remorseless, Woods denied any wrongdoing and when charged with violent disorder he retorted ‘don’t judge a book by its cover’.

Despite his refusal to accept he had done anything wrong, Woods pleaded guilty at Sheffield Magistrates’ Court on 19 August. He was jailed for two years.

Also present at the disorder was 24-year-old Scott Kendall who was seen launching missiles towards the lines of officers protecting the hotel and its occupants.

Kendall, of Sandymount Road, Wath-upon-Dearne, Rotherham, was identified after multiple members of the public recognised him in a police media appeal.

When questioned by officers, Kendall answered no comment. He pleaded guilty to violent disorder at Sheffield Magistrates’ Court on 24 August. Appearing on the same day at the same court as Lunn, Kendall was sentenced to two years in prison.

South Yorkshire Police

A man has been jailed for his role in the “disgraceful” disorder in the aftermath of the Southport stabbings.

A group of nearly 1,000 people were involved in unrest in Blackpool on 3 August, Lancashire Police said, with reports of widespread looting in Houndshill Shopping Centre.

Shane Taaffe Rhodes, of Lindale Gardens, Blackpool, was involved in disorder on the Promenade and later joined in an attack on JD Sports in the shopping centre, police said.

The 20-year-old, who pleaded guilty to violent disorder at an earlier hearing, was jailed at Preston Crown Court for 27 months.

Taaffe Rhodes was seen attempting to conceal his identity during the disorder by putting a face covering over the lower part of his face, police said.

Assistant Chief Constable Phil Davies said: “Taaffe Rhodes chose to play a part in the disgraceful scenes in Blackpool, and I welcome the custodial sentence passed on him.

“Violent disorder will not be tolerated in our county and we will bring those who take part in it to justice.

“Several people have been sent to prison for the disorder in Blackpool on 3 August, and more will be brought before the courts in the coming weeks and months.”

BBC News

A 21-year-old woman, who assaulted a police officer during disorder in Southport earlier this year, has been spared a jail sentence due to “exceptional mitigation”.

Ellie Clarke cried as she was given a 20-month sentence, suspended for 18 months, for her part in a riot which erupted outside a mosque in Southport on 30 July.

Disorder broke out in the Merseyside seaside town a day after three girls were killed, and 10 more injured, in an attack at a Taylor Swift-themed dance class on 29 July.

Large crowds fought with police officers outside a mosque in Southport, with additional damage and disorder taking place in Liverpool and across the country.

Speaking on Tuesday, Andrew Menary KC, Honorary Recorder of Liverpool, told Liverpool Crown Court Clarke had already paid a “significant price” for what she did that night, having been remanded in custody for seven weeks.

He said: “The footage shows you, for a time, standing amongst the crowd of people behaving like animals, shouting vile abuse at police officers and directing appalling racist chants at the nearby mosque.

“You understand how seriously your behaviour is to be regarded, as do others who have been dealt with by this court”.

Rehabilitation

Clarke pleaded guilty at Liverpool Magistrates’ Court to violent disorder, assaulting an emergency worker and a racially aggravated public disorder offence.

She was seen to strike an officer’s riot shield, an earlier hearing was told.

Daniel Travers, defending, said a pre-sentence report and psychiatric report had been prepared, and Clarke had written a letter to the judge which showed “genuine remorse”.

He said: “Clearly, this is a young lady who has, on numerous occasions in her relatively short life, suffered traumatic events, and has clearly got a number of issues that she needs to resolve.”

The defendant, wearing a pink cardigan, wiped her eyes with a tissue after she was sentenced.

Judge Menary said the court had dealt with about 70 people involved in the disorder this summer, and only one other defendant had not been given an immediate prison sentence.

He said the reports had led him to make an exception in Clarke’s case.

But he added: “This case must not be reported as simply you being a female and not going to prison.

“I promise you this, you would have gone to prison but for the very substantial personal mitigation available to you.

“It is only because of the exceptional mitigation that is present in this case.”

Clarke, of Chestnut Street, Southport, was ordered to carry out 40 days of rehabilitation activity and 100 hours of unpaid work in the community.

BBC News