Archive

Author Archives: virginiagolden

Piotr Kucharski wore insignia for proscribed terror group on combat clothing at Suffolk Viking re-enactment

A builder has been jailed for claiming at a Viking re-enactment that he had fought for the Wagner group in Ukraine.

Piotr Kucharski, 49, wore combat clothing bearing badges with insignia for the proscribed terror organisation to an event in Stonham Aspal, in Suffolk.

He was arrested after becoming aggressive, brandishing a dagger at attenders and making a throat-slitting gesture on 28 October last year.

Witnesses said the Polish national, who was living in the UK, had told them he had joined the Wagner group and fought for the organisation in Ukraine.

He had repeated the same claim in several Facebook posts and in messages to contacts.

On Friday at the Old Bailey, Kucharski was jailed for two-and-a-half years with a further year on extended licence for professing to be a member of a proscribed terrorist organisation.

In August, Kucharski had admitted the offence before posing for a photo for a reporter from the PA news agency while wearing symbols associated with extreme rightwing ideology and white supremacy.

In a police interview, Kucharski had said he had bought Wagner group badges and attached them to clothing to “provoke a reaction” from people at the re-enactment event because of differences in opinion regarding Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

A picture of Adolf Hitler, a copy of Mein Kampf and other fascist memorabilia was found at his home.

He shared images of men in combat outfits holding weapons on social media and told contacts he was abroad and engaged in conflict.

Sentencing, Judge Mark Lucraft KC told the defendant: “In relation to the items found at your home, you said you were interested in second world war memorabilia, that you had purchased Mein Kampf because you thought it to be a sound financial investment, and the painting of Hitler was on display to prevent it from becoming damaged by mould in storage.

“Whilst I accept the freedom of expression and of speech that is a benefit of living in the UK, what concerns me here is the lack of understanding on your part of the impact of some of what you were saying and doing.”

The Guardian

Ricky Whitbread was filmed on police bodycam footage making threatening gestures towards officers

A 33-year-old man from Bristol has become the 35th person to be sentenced for their involvement in the Bristol riots. Ricky Whitbread, from Brenty, has been handed a suspended prison sentence after launching missiles at police officers during the disorder in August.

Whitbread pleaded guilty to the charge of violent disorder and was given an 18-month suspended sentence at Bristol Crown Court yesterday, Thursday, October 31.

During the incident outside the Mercure Hotel on Saturday, August 3, Whitbread was filmed on police bodycam footage making threatening gestures towards officers and hurling an object.

Judge James Patrick said he had been involved in a “disgusting and very ugly ordeal” on Saturday 3 August adding that he had multiple opportunities to leave but decided not to.

Detective Inspector Tom Herbert said: “Ricky Whitbread’s behaviour throughout the disorder that day was shameful and he has rightly appeared before the court for sentencing.”

He is now the 35th person to be sentenced for their involvement in the disorder on August 3.

Bristol Post

A 13-year-old girl charged over her involvement in the UK riots has admitted violent disorder, stealing four bottles of Lucozade and cash.

The youngster admitted violent disorder in County Road, in the Walton area of Liverpool on August 3 and two other charges involving theft of the energy drink and money from Go Local Extra in nearby Delamore Street on the same date.

The girl, dressed in a blue tracksuit and trainers, appeared before Liverpool Youth Court and the magistrates ordered a pre-sentence report to be prepared.

She was remanded on unconditional bail to appear for sentence before a District Judge on November 26.

The riots were stoked as misinformation about the perpetrator of the Southport stabbings circulated online – claiming, falsely, that he was a Muslim asylum seeker and giving a fake name.

It was shared by a number of high-profile far right figures online and a Russian-affiliated ‘news’ website.

In early August Liverpool was beset by a group of about 100 thugs who set fire to bins, damaged businesses and buildings and threw missiles at police on County Road, Liverpool.

Spellow Library was also torched during the violent scenes.

The rioting came after the murder of three young girls – Bebe King, six, Elsie Dot Stancombe, seven, and Alice Dasilva Aguiar, nine.

The three girls had been attending the summer holiday club at the Hart Space Community Centre, in Southport, when they were stabbed on July 29.

Eight other children and two adults were also seriously injured.

According to data collated by the PA news agency, more than 600 people were charged over the Southport disorder.

Of these, 75 are children under the age of 18 – 13 per cent of the total.

The attack and subsequent rioting prompted King Charles to express his ‘profound shock’ and cut into his holiday to Balmoral, in Scotland, to visit the Merseyside seaside town.

Daily Mail

A man has been jailed for violent disorder during a riot in the summer.

Paul Sizer, 40, from Middlesbrough, was sentenced to 27 months in prison at Teesside Crown Court after admitting his part in the unrest on 4 August.

The disorder had spread from an afternoon protest at the town’s cenotaph, and was described by officers at the time as “staggering”.

Cleveland Police believes 143 suspected offenders have yet to be identified.

The riot was one of many that took place across the UK following the deaths of three young girls who were stabbed during a dance workshop in Southport.

BBC News

A man who threw rocks at police during a riot in Staffordshire in the summer, telling one officer he would “bite his face off”, has been jailed for three years.

Martin McCluskey was filmed verbally abusing the officer before footage also showed him throwing missiles at officers, during trouble in Tamworth in August.

The 60-year-old, of Manor Road, Tamworth, previously admitted violent disorder and two counts of assaulting an emergency worker, at Stafford Crown Court.

Asst Ch Con Stuart Ellison, of Staffordshire Police, said officers faced “acts of mindless criminality and violence” in the riot, during which petrol bombs were thrown and attempts made to torch a hotel housing asylum seekers.

BBC News

A teenage girl said she took part in a riot outside a hotel that housed asylum seekers to “impress her crush”.

The 16-year-old, who cannot be named due to her age, “tagged along” to the scene of the unrest at the Holiday Inn Express in Manvers, Rotherham, on 4 August.

The girl later admitted violent disorder and said she had picked up stones and thrown them towards police “in an act of stupidity”.

At Sheffield Youth Court on Wednesday, she was handed a 12-month intensive referral order and told to pay £111 in costs.

The court was told that while the girl was filmed throwing “stones or rubble” there had been no evidence to suggest the missiles hit or injured anyone.

Helen White, defending, said her client accepted going to the riot but denied being motivated by racism.

“It was nothing more than following a boy to the scene, she wanted to impress him, she had a bit of a crush on him,” Ms White said.

“She didn’t link the consequences of her behaviour with the actual impact it could have on the victims.

“It’s fair to say immaturity played a huge part here.”

The teen had no previous convictions and “bitterly regrets” her involvement, Ms White said.

The girl, who is the first female to be sentenced in connection with the Manvers riot, told the judge: “I’m not going to do anything like that ever again.”

Passing sentence, Judge Marcus Waite told her to “stay out of trouble”.

BBC News

Tommy Robinson has been jailed for 18 months after admitting contempt of court by repeating false claims against a Syrian refugee.

Robinson, whose real name is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, admitted 10 breaches of a High Court order made in 2021 during a hearing in Woolwich Crown Court.

Lawyers for the Solicitor General accused Robinson, 41, of “undermining” the rule of law.

Barristers for Robinson said it was his “principles that have brought him before the court”.

The hearing on Monday was the culmination of events that date back to October 2018.

That month, a video went viral showing how Jamal Hijazi, a Syrian in West Yorkshire, had been attacked by another teenager at school.

Yaxley-Lennon then posted his own response to one million Facebook followers alleging that his investigation had established that Mr Hijazi was a violent thug, a claim that was untrue.

The Yaxley-Lennon video spread widely and the Syrian teenager and his family received death threats.

Three years later, Mr Hijazi won £100,000 in damages when the High Court ruled the Yaxley-Lennon’s claims against him had amounted to defamation.

The court imposed an injunction on Yaxley-Lennon, banning him from making the false claims again.

In February 2023, Yaxley-Lennon began repeating the claims and went on to post online a film claiming he had been “silenced” by the state.

That film may have been viewed at least 47 million times.

Eventually, this July, Yaxley-Lennon showed the film to thousands of his supporters in Trafalgar Square, saying he would not be silenced. The following day he left the country.

Aidan Eardley KC, for the solicitor general, told the court that Yaxley-Lennon had intended to repeat the false allegations, despite the injunction, and then take “evasive” measures.

“This is a high culpability case because of the high number of breaches,” said Mr Eardley.

“It is a continuing breach, the material is still out there and some of it is under the defendant’s control.”

Sasha Wass KC, for Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, said he was a journalist who had been following his principles and was a passionate believer in free speech.

“This defendant has been neither sly nor dishonest nor seeking gain for himself,” she said.

She said that he was such a controversial figure he may be placed in solitary confinement by prison governors, as had occurred the last time he had been jailed, and there was medical evidence he had previously suffered trauma, panic attacks and nightmares.

Jailing Yaxley-Lennon for 18 months, Mr Justice Johnson said: “In a democratic society underpinned by the rule of law, court orders must be obeyed.

“Nobody is above the law. Nobody can pick or choose which laws or which injunctions they obey, or which they do not.

“Even if they believe that an injunction is… contrary to their views they must comply with the injunction.

“They are not entitled to set themselves up as the judge in their own court. Otherwise the administration of justice and rule of law would break down.”

BBC News

The court judgements are below.

yac court 1

yax court 2

LONDON (Reuters) -British anti-Muslim activist Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, known by the pseudonym Tommy Robinson, on Monday was jailed for 18 months after he admitted contempt of court by breaching an injunction made after he was successfully sued for libel.

Yaxley-Lennon was sued for libel at London’s High Court by Syrian refugee Jamal Hijazi and in 2021 was ordered to pay damages.

He was also made subject to an injunction preventing him from repeating the libellous statements. Yaxley-Lennon appeared at London’s Woolwich Crown Court and admitted breaching the injunction.

Britain’s Solicitor General took legal action against Yaxley-Lennon over comments in online interviews and a documentary titled ‘Silenced’, which has been viewed millions of times and was played in London’s Trafalgar Square in July.

Aidan Eardley, a lawyer representing the Solicitor General, said Yaxley-Lennon had been found in contempt on three separate occasions and was jailed for it in 2019. He also has separate criminal convictions.

Yaxley-Lennon’s lawyer Sasha Wass said: “He acted in the way that he did, and he accepts his culpability, because he passionately believes in free speech, a free press and the overwhelming desire that he has to expose the truth.”

Wass also said that ‘Silenced’ had been “effectively commissioned” through U.S. conspiracy theorist Alex Jones’ Infowars company.

Judge Jeremy Johnson sentenced Yaxley-Lennon to 18 months, less three days spent in custody after he was arrested on Friday.

The judge said that four months could be removed from Yaxley-Lennon’s 18-month sentence if he tried to “purge” his contempt, including by taking down copies of ‘Silenced’.

Yaxley-Lennon was accused by some media and politicians of inflaming tensions which led to days of rioting across Britain at the end of July in the wake of the murder of three young girls at a dance workshop in Southport.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/uk-anti-islam-activist-tommy-robinson-jailed-for-breaching-injunction/ar-AA1t3ZNl

Tommy Robinson has pleaded guilty to contempt of court at Woolwich Crown Court.

The two-day hearing concerns allegations that he breached a 2021 High Court order barring him from repeating libellous allegations against a Syrian refugee who successfully sued him.

Robinson, 41 whose real name is Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, is accused of contempt after airing a banned film at a protest in Trafalgar Square in July.

The documentary, called ‘Silenced’ – shows a Syrian refugee being assaulted by another pupil in the playground a school in Huddersfield – was broadcast despite a judge previously calling it contempt of court.

The victim successfully sued Robinson in 2021 for libel and the former English Defence League leader was ordered to pay him £100,000 in damages plus costs.

Robinson attended Folkestone police station on Friday where he was remanded into custody and separately charged with failing to provide his mobile phone access code to police under Schedule 7 of the Terrorism Act 2000.

On Saturday, thousands of his supporters gathered in central London for a protest which the political activist missed after he was remanded.

Demonstrators carried placards reading ‘Two tier Keir fuelled the riots’ and chanted ‘We want Tommy out’ as they headed from Victoria station to Parliament Square.

Robinson was released on unconditional bail in July and subsequently left the country, with Adam Payter, representing the Solicitor General, telling the High Court there ‘was nothing to prevent him from doing so’.

Mr Justice Johnson issued a warrant for Robinson’s arrest but ordered that it not be carried out ‘until early October’ to allow Robinson time to indicate that he would attend the next hearing voluntarily or to apply to ‘set aside’ the warrant.

Robinson posted a video of himself arriving at Luton Airport on October 20 and said he was surprised he had not been arrested.

He applied to set aside the warrant but his application was dismissed by Mr Justice Johnson on Friday.

Metro

Two people have been jailed today, Friday 25 October, for Violent Disorder in Liverpool city centre and Southport.

Daniel Wilson, 19, of Birchen Road, Halewood, (above left) was jailed for one year and eight months for Violent Disorder (city centre) and Christopher Carney, 33, of Town Lane, Southport (above right) was jailed for two years and five months for Violent Disorder (Southport).

In addition two more people have been charged and a teenager arrested in connection with the ongoing investigations.

Brian Spencer, 40, of Lytham Road, Southport has been charged with Violent Disorder in Southport and Racially aggravated Public Order (in connection with a separate matter). Spencer has been bailed to appear at Liverpool Magistrates Court on Wednesday 20 November

A 16-year-old boy from Banks has been charged with Violent Disorder in Southport and Possession of Class B drugs. He has been conditionally bailed to appear at Merseyside Youth Court on Tuesday 12 November.

Another 16-year-old boy from Southport has been arrested on suspicion of Violent Disorder in Southport and also been conditionally bailed.

This brings the total arrests made so far to 139, with 96 people charged and 78 people sentenced to a total of 164 years and five months.

If you have any information about the disorder in Merseyside, you can contact us via Public Portal (mipp.police.uk) or anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Our latest gallery can be found here: CCTV appeal to help identify 74 people as part of investigation into violent disorder in Merseyside | Merseyside Police.

Merseyside Police