Racist threatened to stab BBC presenter 22 times ‘in revenge for Manchester Arena bombing’

Arun Verma was on the air on BBC Radio Nottingham at the time

A racist sent a message to a BBC Radio Nottingham presenter threatening to “stab him 22 times in revenge for the Manchester Arena bombings”.

Nottingham Crown Court heard how Michael James also used highly offensive racist language in the message, which was seen by station staff and the show host, Arun Verma.

The 57-year-old was then found to have deleted it against the terms of an order put in place for past sex offences he has been convicted of.

And his barrister told the sentencing hearing that his client “can’t explain” exactly why he did what he did.

Handing him a 40-week jail term, Judge Rupert Mayo said: “Mr James, I accept your apology and I don’t think anybody but you can explain why you did what you did.

“You sent a highly offensive and racist comment during a broadcast by the BBC which would have come up in the studio and would have been seen by the presenter and those working that evening.

“We have freedom of speech but that does not mean we can say what we like when we like.

“At the time you were the subject of a sexual harm prevention order for past offences against people younger than you and one of its requirements was not to delete any messages, which is exactly what you then did.”

Dawn Pritchard, prosecuting, said the offences took place on the evening of November 20, last year.

She said Mr Verma was presenting a live show when the defendant sent a message in.

The prosecutor said: “During the evening, BBC Radio Nottingham contacted the police because they had received a concerning message from the defendant.

“He was a persistent caller to the radio station and identified himself as ‘Michael from Daybrook’.

“The message that was received read ‘Notts get off the radio you dirty wannabee P*** terrorist b*****d. Allah, Allah, it will be when I stab you 22 times in revenge for the Manchester Arena bombing’.

“At the time the defendant was subject to a SHPO (sexual harm prevention order) under the terms of which he was not allowed to delete messages without express permission and he had deleted the message he had sent to the BBC.

“Mr Verma was on the air at the time and the message was clearly racially motivated.

“Mr Verma read the message but did not make a statement.”

James, of Frobisher Gardens, Daybrook, pleaded guilty to breaching the order and to sending communication threatening serious harm.

He has what the judge called “an extensive criminal record”.

Clarkson Baptiste, mitigating, said his client has been in custody since his arrest in November and has a number of health issues.

He said: “He has a tracheotomy and a spinal tube and his prognosis, he tells me, is 18 months life.

“He wished to apologise to Mr Verma and to the BBC as an organisation.

“He can’t explain his motivation. He does not have any particular views towards Mr Verma or the BBC.”

Nottingham Post

Comments are closed.