Archive

Tag Archives: racially aggravated assault

wales

The parents of a 17-year-old girl, jailed for attacking her because she was going out with a black man, have been called “disgraceful” by a judge.

David Champion, 50, from Swansea, and his wife Frances, hit daughter Jane for “bringing shame” on the family.

The father also abused her boyfriend Alfonce Ncube with racist language before grabbing and kicking him.

Champion was jailed for 12 months at Swansea Crown Court, and his wife to nine months. Both admitted assault.

The father also admitted a charge of racially aggravated assault against Mr Ncube.

Frances Champion admitted using threatening, abusive or offensive words or behaviour to cause racially aggravated fear or provocation of violence towards Mr Ncube.

The court heard parents attacked their daughter after returning home to find her in a “state of undress” with Mr Ncube.

After abusing and assaulting Mr Ncube, Champion then grabbed his daughter, now 18, by her hair.

He accused her of “bringing shame” on the family and started to hit her.

Nicola Powell, prosecuting, said: “He told her she was destroying the family and pushed her out of the front door of the family home in St Thomas, Champion shouting racist language to describe Mr Ncube.”

The court heard the teenager went to stay with her grandmother for a while but later returned home

But a month later, after the couple had been drinking, they came home from the pub and challenged her over the relationship.

Miss Powell said: “David Champion asked his daughter if she was still seeing Mr Ncube. When she told him she was, he punched her in the face.

“Miss Champion said she felt huge pain to her left eye, but her father then grabbed her by her throat, and continued hitting her.”

The court heard Mrs Champion yelled: “You deserve it. It is all your fault.”

She also hit her daughter and told her she had “brought shame on her family,” the court heard.

The couple also had to be removed from the restaurant where Mr Ncube worked after going there and shouting for him.

He was “in hiding” during the incident. Frances Champion continued to bang on the restaurant’s window, the court heard.

John Hipkin, defending David Champion, said his client knew his “abhorrent” assault was “not excusable in any way, shape or form”.

He said: “But the circumstances in which he found his young daughter meant he reacted in a terrible way. Lessons have been learned.”
‘Cannot be tolerated’

Georgina Buckley, defending Frances Champion, said her client admitted her “disgraceful” actions were “fuelled by alcohol” and that she “confronted her daughter in a wholly unacceptable and disgusting way”.

“She is remorseful and her daughter has sent her a text message before the court hearing wishing her well.”

Judge Peter Heywood told the couple: “Your behaviour was disgraceful and you used vile language.

“We live in a liberal and enlightened society and these sorts of racist behaviour cannot be tolerated.

“The way you reacted was totally inappropriate.

“I would be failing in my public duty if I was to do anything other than to impose a custodial sentence

BBC News

A taxi driver has hit out at a thug who used a legal loophole to avoid jail after subjecting him to a violent assault.

Shaun Burns, 19, of Mayfield Avenue, Ingol, was found guilty of racially aggravated assault and criminal damage to the taxi during the period of a previous three months sentence, suspended for a year, imposed in May 2011 for affray.

But a shameful legal loophole has seen him walk out of court a free man,.

His suspended jail term had originally been imposed by Crown court, meaning magistrates, who found him guilty of the attack in March, had to commit his sentencing to the crown court.

Burns then appealed the verdict, leading to a further delay in sentence. He then abandoned the appeal.

By the day of Burn’s sentencing on Thursday – four months after his case was committed – the period of his suspended sentence had expired and Judge Ian Leeming QC, sitting at Preston’s Sessions House, ruled it would be ‘unjust’ to activate the order.

Instead Burns walked out of court with another suspended term, this time for 16 weeks suspended for a year, with 100 hours unpaid work, £350 costs and £520 compensation.

Earlier this year father–of-five Muhammed Hussain, from Holme Slack, Preston, told how he feared for his life after Burns, his partner Bryanne-Serrita Langham, 22, and friend Callum Tennant, 20, launched a racist attack on him before threatening to “take him down a side street and kill him”.

During the terrifying incident last December his attackers even threatened to cut off the Miller’s taxi driver’s beard.

Today a Crown Prosecution Service spokesman said: “Shaun Burns was found guilty after trial on March 22, 2012 at Preston Magistrates Court of racially aggravated common assault and criminal damage.

“The magistrates decided they had insufficient sentencing powers for these particular offences and committed the case to Preston Crown Court for sentence. The CPS was advised that Mr Burns was to exercise his right to appeal this conviction and therefore the Crown Court took the case out of the listing pending the outcome of the appeal.

“The appeal was subsequently abandoned by the defence and the case was relisted for sentence at Preston Crown Court on July 19.”

Tennant, of Marshall Grove, Ingol, was found guilty of racially aggravated assault and criminal damage to the taxi, which was kicked and dented when Mr Hussain pulled over to let them out at Lane Ends pub in Ashton.

He was given a community order, five month curfew and 200 hours unpaid work and ordered to pay £130 compensation and £50 costs in March.

Langham, 22, of Sylvancroft, Ingol, pleaded guilty to criminal damage to a taxi and making off without paying the £4.50 fare and was ordered to pay £84.50 compensation, a £100 fine, a £15 victim surcharge and £40 costs.

Mr Hussain, 36, had picked up the group from Marshall Grove on December 28, last year.

Lancashire Evening Post

A man who ripped off a Muslim woman’s veil in a shopping centre because he thought she was “just another illegal immigrant” has been spared jail.

Ian Brazier, from Shirley, Solihull, was given a six-week sentence, suspended for 18 months, and ordered to complete a diversity awareness course by magistrates in the town.

The 26-year-old had admitted racially aggravated assault at an early hearing.

The court heard that he tore Farhana Chughtai’s niqab from her face and threw it on the floor in Solihull’s Touchwood complex on March 3 as she shopped with family.

Alan Bryce, defending, said his client was angry at the time of the incident because he had been smoking cannabis and the films he was planning to watch at the centre’s cinema were not showing.

He said: “He was angry that he couldn’t see the films or the films he wanted to see weren’t there.

“All these pent-up emotions were unfortunately released when he saw this lady.”

The solicitor said Mrs Chughtai was a “random victim”, spotted by unemployed Mr Brazier as he came down an escalator in the complex.

He said: “He had been taking cannabis and it had made him angry.

“He saw her and he thought ‘There’s just another illegal immigrant’.”

The court heard that Mrs Chughtai, from Balsall Heath, Birmingham, told police she felt “naked and violated” by the assault.

In a statement released by West Midlands Police after the sentencing, the 26-year-old victim said: “At the time of the attack I felt violated and very distressed.

“Today, I remain self-conscious and worry that the same thing may happen to me again.

“I am aware of other similar incidents in the West Midlands which have not been reported to police.

“This should not be the case; victims should report these crimes as soon as they happen.

“I am pleased with West Midlands Police’s efforts to trace my attacker and the way they have handled this investigation and I would like to extend my thanks to the officers involved.”

Chief Inspector Kevin Doyle said: “Despite the shocking nature of this offence, reports of crimes like this are exceptionally rare both in Solihull and the wider West Midlands.

“When they are reported to us, I would like to assure victims that they are investigated thoroughly, professionally and victims treated with the utmost dignity and respect.

“Today’s sentence shows that there is no place for hate in Solihull.”

Brazier was given an 18-month supervision order and told he must complete a 21-day activity requirement which examines diversity and prejudice.

Chairman of the bench Mark Kershaw also ordered him to complete 250 hours of unpaid work in the community and pay £100 compensation to the victim.

Huffington Post